DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller (just announced)

If you order a new Mavic 2 Pro or ZOOM, you have the option to also buy the new Smart Controller for just $400 more. So why does DJI jack up the price to $649 if you already own a Mavic 2. A lot more people would jump to buy the Smart Controller priced at $400 but in my opinion $649 is WAY over priced$$$$$$
They wouldn't sell it separately for 400,00 as the cristalsky 5.5 alone is priced at 469,00. They sell it for 400 more when purchasing the mavic 2 because it comes basically as a upgrade. I ve bought my mavic2 with the fly more combo and surely I paid less than if I had to buy apart the itens that come along with fly more combo. What I totally disagree with DJI is advertising this controller as a Ultra Bright. The controller reachs 1000cdm2 which is considered as high brightness for cristalsky devices, the Ultrabrigh should reach 2000cdm2...

Internal memory, or included SD memory card?
The memory card I would not care ... But the internal memory 16GB are a bad joke, and only suitable for caching.

Surely the term ROM in the spec sheet stands for Read Only Memory, and if it does, its size is pretty irrelevant.
It remains unclear why they're offering 64 GB ROM in Hong Kong.

Also, scream at me if you must, why do so many people ask questions here to which the full answer is clearly stated in the spec sheet. Isn't the spec sheet the only reliable source of information?

Reactions: mnis and Kilrah
I could justify the $649 price point if the Smart Controller had the larger CrystalSky monitor built into the controller.....
It would have been huge and heavy.

The target group is people who want a bright sunlight-readable screen and at the same time the convenience of quick setup and short time between unpacking from bag and flying (and vice versa).

People who can and are prepared to bring large and heavy stuff are more likely to be OK with a separate solution (big CS). And they could potentially have the CS mounted on the RC all the time in their car and so on.

DJI could have two versions of course (but I think as clear majority would go for the size they launched now).

Surely the term ROM in the spec sheet stands for Read Only Memory, and if it does, its size is pretty irrelevant.
It remains unclear why they're offering 64 GB ROM in Hong Kong.

Also, scream at me if you must, why do so many people ask questions here to which the full answer is clearly stated in the spec sheet. Isn't the spec sheet the only reliable source of information?
I think we all know it ...
Specs are usually always available on the manufacturer's website. But not every entry is understandable for potential customers, or makes sense in the way shown. Also, some entries are distorted by poor translations. And finally, specs can be misinterpreted by individuals.

I honestly do not know for sure.
Maybe very simple, it is our need to communicate.

But if you ask a manufacturer for product details, you may get very self-interested answers.

That's why it makes sense here to take apart specs, and try to form a clearer and more realistic picture from many opinions.

B&H had the preorder and for me with tax it’s $741, I didn’t preorder. I’ve been using the iPad Pro 12.9 and as much as I’d like the all in one solution, $750 is steep and I do think 5.5 will be an adjustment since I’ve been at 12.9

I think someone pointed out that a trade in program would be nice. Credit for existing controller in exchange for the new one. Looks like greed to me. The timing is suspicious.

If you order a new Mavic 2 Pro or ZOOM, you have the option to also buy the new Smart Controller for just $400 more. So why does DJI jack up the price to $649 if you already own a Mavic 2. A lot more people would jump to buy the Smart Controller priced at $400 but in my opinion $649 is WAY over priced$$$$$$
Because .... Your not getting the smaller R/C (Original one -$249) If you purchase Mavic 2 with smart controller. Mavic 2 for $1499 = $249 for R/C $1250 for A/C. Mavic 2 W/smart controller $1899 = $649 for R/C $1250 For A/C

Nice unit, but I prefer the lighter weight and smaller size of the current modular setup, using either my Huawei T3 7'' pad or Huawei Y6 5.5'' phone.
Same reason why I'm sticking with the lighter and slightly smaller M1 rather than 'upgrading' to the M2.

Last edited:
Reactions: mnis
Does any one have experience if it is possible to have two RCs paired with the Mavic 2? Not both at the same time, but i think about some kind of backup solution if the Smart RCs battery gets empty or you want two have both options.

As an Android device - Hopefully this will put all those rumours about CJI being in bed with Apple out to pasture ... It will also help DJI get a little more familiar with the issues we report regarding Android too!
But DJI and Apple should be in bed together because Android devices aren’t the best way to fly your drone.
iOS devices are much better and more reliable than any Android devices on the market, bar none!!

How does the antennae position work on this controller with OcuSync 2.0? Photos show them pointing strait out or pointing down. Which plane has the strongest signal?
There’s a tutorial on YouTube by “Ready Set Drone” that explains the antenna position very clearly. Basically if you’re flying in front of the remote control your antennas should be facing the drones position. If the drone is above you then they should be straight forward.

What they explained was the signal comes from the flat part of the antennas so as long as you have that part of the antennas facing your drone you will get the strongest signal regardless of the position of the drone.
But I won’t be buying it until DJI comes down in price!! I mean that’s absolutely ridiculous to charge that much for a remote control that should have been included with the original release of the Mavic 2 series of drones. And you can’t tell me that DJI didn’t know exactly what they were doing when they were developing the Mavic 2!! :(
Yes I am very angry about it.
My iPad mini 4 will work just fine and it has a bigger screen!! :)

Last edited:
$650 and it WON"T work with my $999 Mavic Pro?
So I would have to invest in a Mavic 2 and then a while later they will announce a Mavic 3 that won't support the DJI Smart Controller? I fell for this trick with the Phantom series, and won't again.
Looks like its time to go back to my homemade custom aircraft and forget all this nonsense.

A DJI rep at CES said future updates will make it backward compatible, so you might be in luck, just not right away.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78