DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Smart Controller (just announced)

Switzerland.

If you change the location in the DJI Store, it's available for order in some locations. It's not available in the US yet.

I placed an order (deliverable to Singapore) which was confirmed on 9th Jan but they still have yet to ship it out and it's the 15th already.
Has anyone who ordered one received notification that their order has been shipped?

DJI's 'Estimated to ship 1-3 business days after payment confirmation.' seems to be a bad estimate.

Hi all [emoji851]
Wondering if anyone has any info or a view on extending the ‘in the field’ battery life of the DJI Smart Controller using say a portable battery plugged into the usb-c charging port on the controller... most of the time 2.5hrs will probably be enough but on the odd longer day in the field it would be nice to have some additional in reserve power...
Steve in Sydney

Hi all [emoji851]
Wondering if anyone has any info or a view on extending the ‘in the field’ battery life of the DJI Smart Controller using say a portable battery plugged into the usb-c charging port on the controller... most of the time 2.5hrs will probably be enough but on the odd longer day in the field it would be nice to have some additional in reserve power...
Steve in Sydney
This review says you can use an external battery pack...
DJI Smart Controller Review - Newsshooter

But DJI and Apple should be in bed together because Android devices aren’t the best way to fly your drone.
iOS devices are much better and more reliable than any Android devices on the market, bar none!!
This is absolute nonsense ... and I can not keep silent about that ...
There are a myriad of Android devices and manufacturers, since it's a miracle that most of the devices work well and reliably with the Go App. Android devices are for real individualists. Android is for people who are also willing to do something themselves sometimes, so that the device corresponds to the desired functionality. Get the best tool for your personality with Android. In any case, I have never had unsolvable problems with a variety of Android devices.

With Apple devices, mainly prestige is sold, at unreasonable prices. They get everything pre-chewed, and play in a sandpit with very high walls. With a handful of device types, running reliable software is almost a breeze, and that's the only benefit. All those poor lemmings who are always waiting for new Apple hardware, just because there was something good, and because it all had to have. We poor people, we are really easy to infect. How fascinating the piano key look was once ...

I think DJI has always tried to cuddle with Apple to make exclusive sales deals. Something is limited in time. Or DJI's development department is brimming with people using Apple's products. Of course, then it takes some time for someone to take pity on developing a working app for Android users ...

Nice, that the Smart Controller is not a product of Apple, that makes it for me, in any case, much more interesting :)

I placed an order (deliverable to Singapore) which was confirmed on 9th Jan but they still have yet to ship it out and it's the 15th already.
Has anyone who ordered one received notification that their order has been shipped?

DJI's 'Estimated to ship 1-3 business days after payment confirmation.' seems to be a bad estimate.

I placed my order on Thursday last week and received the controller yesterday so not a bad turnaround to the UK. Weirdly I received the shipping notification email from DJI AFTER I'd received the actual item! :rolleyes: So you might find that yours has already shipped and they just haven't notified you. You can contact DJI support on their web chat and ask them. They were able to give me a tracking number.

I would get this if I were in the market for a Mavic 2 Pro. Looks less cumbersome. Quick to deploy which makes a world of difference when trying to launch before the crowd takes notice. :)

I placed my order on Thursday last week and received the controller yesterday so not a bad turnaround to the UK. Weirdly I received the shipping notification email from DJI AFTER I'd received the actual item! :rolleyes: So you might find that yours has already shipped and they just haven't notified you. You can contact DJI support on their web chat and ask them. They were able to give me a tracking number.

I checked again and it's now being shipped out through DHL. Expected delivery is tomorrow night. Am tracking the shipment and it seems on track for a speedy delivery. Maybe DJI wanted to consolidate their shipments and waited a while before doing so.

But DJI and Apple should be in bed together because Android devices aren’t the best way to fly your drone.
iOS devices are much better and more reliable than any Android devices on the market, bar none!!

I've got an iPhone 6plus and a note 8... Your statement is false if I were to compare. Note 8 is brighter and doesn't have video caching problems I experience with a screen dedicated (iPhone 6plus) to the mavic 2

Reactions: cdubNga and mnis
Hopefully mine is here by the weekend. It’s on route to the u.k via dhl[emoji2]

Perfect response mnis, I am using an Android phone which so far has not had a glitch or crash it anything.
This is absolute nonsense ... and I can not keep silent about that ...
There are a myriad of Android devices and manufacturers, since it's a miracle that most of the devices work well and reliably with the Go App. Android devices are for real individualists. Android is for people who are also willing to do something themselves sometimes, so that the device corresponds to the desired functionality. Get the best tool for your personality with Android. In any case, I have never had unsolvable problems with a variety of Android devices.

With Apple devices, mainly prestige is sold, at unreasonable prices. They get everything pre-chewed, and play in a sandpit with very high walls. With a handful of device types, running reliable software is almost a breeze, and that's the only benefit. All those poor lemmings who are always waiting for new Apple hardware, just because there was something good, and because it all had to have. We poor people, we are really easy to infect. How fascinating the piano key look was once ...

I think DJI has always tried to cuddle with Apple to make exclusive sales deals. Something is limited in time. Or DJI's development department is brimming with people using Apple's products. Of course, then it takes some time for someone to take pity on developing a working app for Android users ...

Nice, that the Smart Controller is not a product of Apple, that makes it for me, in any case, much more interesting :)

Reactions: mnis
Definitely an interesting product.

While I understand the reasoning behind making the smart controller only compatible with M2Pro/M2Zoom (drive more people to buy or upgrade), But I think it was a mistake to not make it backwards compatible with the Mavic Pro, Air, Phantom line or even the Spark. By not being backwards compatible, it alienates majority (potentially millions) of current DJI owners out there. I, for one, would love to have 1 controller to rule them all. Would be so convenient. I know CS is available, but that would require the same, if not more, setup time than using a phone or tablet.

With that being said, I am still on the fence on getting one due to the very high cost. It would have been a no brainer if it was compatible with my older drones.

I wonder if it's technically possible to add backwards compatibility via firmware update. I doubt it, but would be nice to dream.

Mine arrived today. Impressive piece of kit. Can add a 4g dongle to it, hdmi output can go down to 720p output if required. I made a rist strap and fitted a cut down iPad mini screen protector. Also fits in the fly more combo bag.
1b6103121baba401438029a49f12be8b.jpg
055d42243548e1a5350dcefbdb9c87e9.jpg
54d9c1dcec4053f7d5f8c3ba21812234.jpg
f4580173db479768030ee6f5afcb4277.jpg
bc96a27febf0bfa10c3186e83cf6fe65.jpg
a5a97885a54a3bb0c29f7b127fdbce8d.jpg
acf830bc3650c3c9bcf56fa0d4dd9a2e.jpg
973467f902bd1168695aab7c278e244b.jpg
71fcc73abbf17302d46b2db46f9bc641.jpg
6c4157384db9d7a36832506288333b73.jpg

Mine arrived today. Impressive piece of kit. Can add a 4g dongle to it, hdmi output can go down to 720p output if required. I made a rist strap and fitted a cut down iPad mini screen protector. Also fits in the fly more combo bag.

Nice set of photos.

Having had a short fly today, it’s a very nice unit. I flew a battery from full to 50% as it’s freezing in the u.k today and it used 12% from the battery. I also charged the controller for one hour on the DJI battery charger which charges the Mp2 batteries and it only put 4% in! So unless you can use a quick charger when your out and about 4 batteries will be about your limit.

How snug is the fit to get the controller in the fly more pack? With the old controller I could fit the craft (w/ battery), controller and three spare batteries. Can you fit any additional batteries in next to the controller? A picture of the pack with more accessories would be awesome.

I placed my order on Thursday last week and received the controller yesterday so not a bad turnaround to the UK. Weirdly I received the shipping notification email from DJI AFTER I'd received the actual item! :rolleyes: So you might find that yours has already shipped and they just haven't notified you. You can contact DJI support on their web chat and ask them. They were able to give me a tracking number.[/QUOTE
I checked again and it's now being shipped out through DHL. Expected delivery is tomorrow night. Am tracking the shipment and it seems on track for a speedy delivery. Maybe DJI wanted to consolidate their shipments and waited a while before doing so.

Finally got it today after a short delay. Within 6 days from DJI Shenzhen through HK to Singapore via DHL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus