DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI Spark Videos

Wow this thing is really crippled in the EU compared to the Mavic. The range is only 300-500m in Europe :(

Does the 300-500m range limit apply to Sparks bought in EU or to all Sparks regardless where you bought it?

One question that seems to be unanswered. Do you get the Remote for that $500 price tag or is it sold separately. If its separate that makes the price a lot closer to a Mavic.
Nope- add $150 or get the Fly more $200

Kai W's DJI Spark review:

Too bad they couldn't lose another 50g. That's the first thing I looked up, but in Canada the drone restrictions start for drones above 250g.
Maybe someone can make a 44gram battery for it with 5min flight time!
(The drone without the battery weighs only 205 grams)

Or maybe someone can cripple a battery by removing some cells, thus freeing up the drone from all restrictions.

Reactions: JD4x4
Does the 300-500m range limit apply to Sparks bought in EU or to all Sparks regardless where you bought it?

If it's similar to the Mavic it simply adjusts the transmission power according to GPS location. All Mavics are the same, I would guess this applies to the Spark as well.

Ready Set Drone DJI Spark overview & setup:

Maybe someone can make a 44gram battery for it with 5min flight time!
(The drone without the battery weighs only 205 grams)

Or maybe someone can cripple a battery by removing some cells, thus freeing up the drone from all restrictions.

Yeah.. or if there was some way to achieve a 10 minute flight on a smaller battery that would be useable.

Yeah.. or if there was some way to achieve a 10 minute flight on a smaller battery that would be useable.
or you could just carry a lighter battery with you and put it in only when you have to prove that the drone is lighter than 250 grams...

Reactions: niclariv
Tahoe Ed confirmed it's not compatible here.

There is also a note on the DJI website when you click on the remote as an accessory for the Spark. It's in the "Overview" section, it's the first asterisk. It states "the Spark remote controller is currently only compatible with Spark aircraft." So, does this mean that there may be an FW update to make it compatible with the MP perhaps (or vice versa)?

Well now we know, Its a selfie drone. But then that's kind of what everybody figured it was. I'm sure it will impress. It Looks cool but for $500 I don't see myself buying one but then I have 2 Mavic's. Hard to predict whether it will do well or not. They are targeting a consumer that is less drone savvy than us old timers.

IMO DJI is targeting a larger market that wouldn't ordinarily buy a drone (for the thrill of flying aspect, say) at that price point, almost competing with medium-range DSLRs - more for the recreational video/photo user. Selfies weren't around back in the day and this should nicely fit in for those millenials that can't seem to take enough of them (and post them all over the place! Ugh). Portable and easy to use. Kind of like a watered-down MP - which, btw, covers all attributes very nicely - the technical side of flying, portable, high performance, and nice photos/videos with exceptional flight time and range.
Hmmm, come to think of it, perhaps the Spark is the stepping stone to getting the MP! Once you have a taste - you'll want more!

Reactions: Kilrah
does this mean that there may be an FW update to make it compatible with the MP perhaps (or vice versa)?
Good question. Perhaps that's why Tahoe Ed answered the question like that.

The Digital Circuit DJI Spark review:

Why would dji make the spark remote compatible with the mavic if the mavic rc is twice the price?

I want to see a real review of the spark, its not all good. All the current reviews are WOW SPARK ITS AWESOME!!, basically advertisements. I'd love to see an actual review that tells the real story.

I want to see a real review of the spark, its not all good. All the current reviews are WOW SPARK ITS AWESOME!!, basically advertisements. I'd love to see an actual review that tells the real story.

Perhaps that's just their first impressions? I mean it probably does have instant wow factor. I think sometimes the limitations/issues only really become apparent with continued use. I know people like iPhonedo have no issues with being negative etc. He seems very genuine to me, not afraid to speak his mind.

Perhaps that's just their first impressions? I mean it probably does have instant wow factor. I think sometimes the limitations/issues only really become apparent with continued use. I know people like iPhonedo have no issues with being negative etc. He seems very genuine to me, not afraid to speak his mind.
Well i'm pretty sure they've had it in their hands for a while, they are just under contract that they couldn't release a video on it until it was announced and an in an attempt to not bite the hand the feeds you per-say. They won't put out a bad or a real review on it till later.

I don't see a problem with the reviews and comparisons I've seen so far. They're positive because for the market it targets it's indeed good, and pointing out how this and that isn't as good as model XYZ only makes little sense given again the target market couldn't care less about the extra quality or capabilities.

You get "half the capabilities" for half the price and that's basically it, the foundation is just as good.

Reactions: Former Member

Who do you trust to do an actual review? I like this guy, he's pretty funny but points out the differences on a few DJI products. Tomtechtime is also pretty objective.

I agree.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure