DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DJI to restrict non-compliant drones at next software update

Has anybody stopped to think that maybe dji is doing this so that their drones and flight systems won't be used in terrorist attacks in places like Syria?

Reactions: Johanna and tiziano
How do you focus the camera with the controller only? C1 for focus doesn't work unless the controller is connected to the phone..

Hi,

I'm still a newbie with Quads, although I've flown RC Fixed Wing for over 30 years. My local RC Club (Chartered with AMA in 1944) has Quad Nights on Wed,Thur.
I'm simply getting comfortable with flying the machine. I want to be stone cold proficient with how the machine flys before I start going any distance looking at an iPhone.

While I look forward to beginning to film, and shoot images I really am enjoying simply flying this amazing machine. Once you set it up in the App it remembers them.Without the iPhone it flys on it's last settings(at least this has been my experience as I'm the only person with a Mavic at my Club.)

Thanks for the question. ; )

Has anybody stopped to think that maybe dji is doing this so that their drones and flight systems won't be used in terrorist attacks in places like Syria?

Maybe Toyota should do this with their pick ups to avoid them being used as "technicals!". Think of the payload they can carry.

I can see the logic, but I do not think this is a big driver here. If they use it, then possibly part of a bigger rationale or excuse.

Once they sell their quad to me it is no longer theirs. I paid for a product not renting it! I I'm responsible for how I use it!

Reactions: Forrest
Hey there Rob,
Thanks for your input. I just can't help feeling that there is a limit to what DJI can "do" to those 'non-conforming pilots'. I still have my Mavic on .400, my app on .4 versions - and I always fly in airplane mode. I also disable the Go4 app after use (Android) whilst still in airplane mode, and I have a Firewall app that blocks all data in and out from whatever app I delegate. Interesting when I checked on the DJI app just how many times (100's) it tried to log into China. Guess what I'm trying to suggest is - the Mavic/RC and app realistically are never capable of knowing anything other than what's currently programed within when they are effectively severed from the Internet. I have not received any prompt through the app. I've reinstalled the .4 app after deleting all the previous files, engaged the firewall, and after disabling the app after use there have been no attempts to contact China - and I'm happy enough to continue this way with my Mavic oblivious to the outside world.
Just my thoughts.
Smokey

Hello Smokey,

I also am staying with .400 as well. Three weeks ago I tested .600 and .700 and decided to downgrade back to .400. What is the name of the Firewall app (android) you use to block apps and data? I am interested in doing the same thing just as a safeguard.

RAMJET

Reactions: Blades and DroneX
Just a question. If I stay offline and on my 400 can I still cache the maps somehow eg but starting GO4 online but not actually connecting to my mavic? Or will even loading the app connected to the net trigger it all? I find the map quite useful when flying

Reactions: Blades
DJI should offer a full refund to anyone on grounds of false advertising, material misrepresentation, coercing, duress, ineffective assistance of counsel, fraudulent conveyance, forcing me into new TOS after etc etc etc.... there are enough internet posts for you to link to them as evidence that you got 'had'. I would just like to go to .400 and be left alone with what I paid for and fly safe.
If I do crash ect I will be responsible obviously. If making laws and forced to do something because a few out of billions of people did something wrong then should we all be locked in a cage as not to do anything? Call me old fashion but I believe in taking responsibility and even if someone doesn't they can be tracked down and prosecuted. How many people have died from out of control drone Pilots for them to completely control my product? Has there been that many deaths or injuries caused by "drones" rc helicopters/planes/quads for such control over my toy/hobby?

Hi,

I'm still a newbie with Quads, although I've flown RC Fixed Wing for over 30 years. My local RC Club (Chartered with AMA in 1944) has Quad Nights on Wed,Thur.
I'm simply getting comfortable with flying the machine. I want to be stone cold proficient with how the machine flys before I start going any distance looking at an iPhone.

While I look forward to beginning to film, and shoot images I really am enjoying simply flying this amazing machine. Once you set it up in the App it remembers them.Without the iPhone it flys on it's last settings(at least this has been my experience as I'm the only person with a Mavic at my Club.)

Thanks for the question. ; )

Hmmmm... I'm guessing you have the setting set to AFC (Auto Focus Continuous), which focuses the camera periodically... Guess that will probably work..

BTW, if you really want to learn to fly a quad, then you shouldn't be practicing on a Mavic since it's way too stable in P-mode and it doesn't have a manual switch to ATTI mode, which is what you need to actually learn on.. You should spend money on one of the cheap Syma quads without all the smart features and fly that in the field... Then you'll learn to be able to compensate for wind, having to increase throttle as you come to a hover from forward flight, hover orientation in all directions, etc... Just like a RC heli, but much more stable and easier to control...

Once they sell their quad to me it is no longer theirs. I paid for a product not renting it! I I'm responsible for how I use it!

Their will be no law suits, no class actions. The whole thing is comical. You purchased their drone they maintain the software. You want to keep using their software you agree. Technically they haven't done anything.

Its like limiting speed of a sports car, If a person buys a car which can do 200mph and then the company electronically updates to limit it speed or range

Reactions: Blades and Robbyg
So, after being stuck in Beijing with its horrendously crazy no fly zone (60km radius) i thought I see what this new verifivation process is all about. I am on old versions of everything, as bought in the store in HongKong in March. Mavic is 0.400, Android app is 4.0.5. I normally put the phone into Flight mode before launching the app and connecting to the RC. But have the GPS on.

A number of times after leaving Hong Kong i was asked to verify my phone number, I kept closing the app, as it wouldnt go away, and it eventually didnt remind me, but it was mighty irritating when it happened.

Today in Beijing then, I start the app on the phone without anything connected. Starts and lets me open it without problem. But then... bang! the notification about verification. I click Ignore, and away it goes... mmh ok. Now when I look into my settings however, I see the maximum flight level at 0m and the return to home also at 0m. When I try to change it, I get an error, saying cannot connect to device.

I dont dare switch on the mavic and connect it at this point. Can someone else please tell me:

1. Is it impossible to change flight level in the app, wihthout the mavic being connnected?
2. Anyone else noticed this? Had this experience?
3. Or is it set to zero, as I am in a No Flight zone (which the app knows by way of map)

Really dont want to **** this up, as I am otherwise the owner of a very costly paperweight!

I would hazard a guess this is DIRECTLY related to the VM copy of .400 firmware downgrade.
.400 was the last good (arguably) firmware that let one use the foil trick and take off in ATTI mode.
Since the VM would let ANYONE with a mavic permanently downgrade their hardware DJI felt they lost control of that.
My guess would be going forward with any new firmware above .700 would not let you downgrade to .400 VM copy (easy to test of course). We'll see.

I for one would be VERY interested in reading the reply (if any) you get from DJI!

Nothing coming soon! I am following this on the DJI community as well, 10 pages of posts and looks like one reply from DJI Ken to all the questions/comments just to deny everything and say all will be the same after the updates, but if you don't want to update that is no big deal and it will not affect anything. Really?

So people think DJI is doing this to stop terrorist attacks ????? Are you serious , there are way more effective ways to stop a drone 100% of the time

Here's how you will be "forced" to upgrade the firmware: The FAA will issue a new ruling that sUAVs with the functionality to be restricted dynamically are legal to fly out of VLOS. DJI also will implement a few very compelling new features, one or more perhaps related to the new FPV-only rule.

Then, you will upgrade. Voluntarily.

Reactions: HSK and Blades
Hmmmm... I'm guessing you have the setting set to AFC (Auto Focus Continuous), which focuses the camera periodically... Guess that will probably work..

BTW, if you really want to learn to fly a quad, then you shouldn't be practicing on a Mavic since it's way too stable in P-mode and it doesn't have a manual switch to ATTI mode, which is what you need to actually learn on.. You should spend money on one of the cheap Syma quads without all the smart features and fly that in the field... Then you'll learn to be able to compensate for wind, having to increase throttle as you come to a hover from forward flight, hover orientation in all directions, etc... Just like a RC heli, but much more stable and easier to control...

Thanks for the input.

Their will be no law suits, no class actions. The whole thing is comical. You purchased their drone they maintain the software. You want to keep using their software you agree. Technically they haven't done anything.

Agreed... this is all a bunch of chicken-littles right now. This entire site is getting to be such a drag to come visit. Nobody bothered to READ what they agreed to when they activated their Mavic, and now it's all a bunch of crying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King