DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do Bright Skins Make Visibility a Lot Better?

Hillbilly1236

Reactions
I haven't got my new Mini 2 yet but I'm thinking that it might be hard to see at any distance. I see there are really brightly colored skins available and they might help with preventing bird attacks too. There are a lot of birds where I plan to fly and was thinking this might solve 2 problems. I checked the DJI website and according to that, the Mini 2 weighs 242 grams. The skin I was considering weighs 6 grams, so the total weight would still be under 250g.

So the question is: would a bright Orange skin make it a lot easier to see at a distance or doesn't it make much difference? I should mention the skin covers the top, bottom and arms.

Reactions: old man mavic
@Hillbilly1236 ,i have skins on both my drones my MM is bright yellow ,the skin does make it easier to tell where it is ,when flying with a dark background such as a mountainside behind it ,
but if its a bright sunny day with lots of blue sky ,then it still gets lost in the heat haze for me the main reason for a skin is to protect the surface of the drone from insect splatter ,and also the added advantage that when you are flying with several other drones it helps to identify your drone and you dont end up trying to pilot your mates

I haven't got my new Mini 2 yet but I'm thinking that it might be hard to see at any distance. I see there are really brightly colored skins available and they might help with preventing bird attacks too. There are a lot of birds where I plan to fly and was thinking this might solve 2 problems. I checked the DJI website and according to that, the Mini 2 weighs 242 grams. The skin I was considering weighs 6 grams, so the total weight would still be under 250g.

So the question is: would a bright Orange skin make it a lot easier to see at a distance or doesn't it make much difference? I should mention the skin covers the top, bottom and arms.

Depending on other factors you may see a bright skin a little further (if sky/light conditions are favorable) but keep in mind at a not too far distance it's just a dark silhouette and color will be of very little benefit.

A strobe is by far a much better "visual enhancement" for your aircraft at distance but.... having a brightly colored UAS makes it a lot easier to locate close in and if you have to look in trees/grass/weeds etc for the aircraft. The dark earthtone colored camouflage patterns are just the opposite.

Guess I need to actually fly one first and see how far it gets before I start to loose sight of it and if a brighter color might help. Might be awhile before I get out to the limit of my VLOS though, since I want to get comfortable with the flight controls with the drone in close proximity so when something unexpected happens I will have plenty of time to react to the situation.

Now I need to checkout strobes and their weights.

One other thing I have seen about a 'skin', is a strip of reflective tape on each side/face, for when you have to look for the drone in the dark (hopefully never), it reflects torch light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just another dot in the sky when you get over 200 feet and even smaller dot when you hit 300 feet.

The only way we found to truly make a difference in the sky was the Rescue jacket for the Mini 2 and Mini or a bright strobe as suggested above.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and float on water.

Guess I need to actually fly one first and see how far it gets before I start to loose sight of it and if a brighter color might help. Might be awhile before I get out to the limit of my VLOS though, since I want to get comfortable with the flight controls with the drone in close proximity so when something unexpected happens I will have plenty of time to react to the situation.

Now I need to checkout strobes and their weights.
This is the Firehouse Mini strobe, a hair over 13 grams. These things are ridiculously bright. Has a few different modes of strobe or constant on. Clips onto the bottom of the mini or mini 2.

20210202_164628.jpg

Reactions: Hillbilly1236
Hopefully I never have to look for it in the dark, for 2 reasons: 1) I don't plan in flying in the dark and 2) that would likely mean I had a flyaway.

As long as I can still see the dot and don't loose track of it I'm still legal and comfortable.

I'll have to check out the rescue jacket. Any links?

I appreciate the info on the Mini strobe but I will need to keep the total weight under 250g, at least until / if I pursue getting a license.

Hopefully I never have to look for it in the dark, for 2 reasons: 1) I don't plan in flying in the dark and 2) that would likely mean I had a flyaway.

As long as I can still see the dot and don't loose track of it I'm still legal and comfortable.

I'll have to check out the rescue jacket. Any links?

I appreciate the info on the Mini strobe but I will need to keep the total weight under 250g, at least until / if I pursue getting a license.
You will still be under 250 grams with this strobe. The mini 2 weighs 230 grams ready to fly with battery and memory card.

Edit: oops, my bad...238. you'll be one gram over

Edit #2: Good to go!

mini2strobe.jpg

Last edited:
True but I think the poster lost their drone in daylight and couldn't find it despite apparently walking past it at a distance of single digit feet. When they returned, in darkness, with a torch the tape worked a treat and lead them straight to it.

As stated above. Ambient light affects visibility while flying regardless of skin. At 200-250’ they all start looking gray. Can help if you have to search after a crash.
Lights are the best answer... good for crashes and in the air you can get visibility at 1-2 miles depending on your eyesight and weather.

According to the DJI website the MM2 weighs 242 grams. However I did find this, which is only 4 grams and shows a pic of a DJI drone on a scale and it only weighs 249g. So the next question is; do the lights flash only flash in one direction or can they be seen from all directions?

Drone UAS UAV Quadcopter LED Strobe Light
I use four... two white at the rear and red and green on the front arms in aircraft fashion.
Check the ground below... 12 second clip.

I use four... two white at the rear and red and green on the front arms in aircraft fashion.
Check the ground below... 12 second clip.
I like that setup. You can easily distinguish between the drone facing away or toward you. However that woould put my MM2 over the 250g limit for an unlicensed drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique