DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do I need to obtain a permission to fly my drone at Manchester city?

ericzhao1990

Reactions
Hi all,
I a new Mavic 2 zoom 'Pilot' living at Manchester Piccadilly. I plan to take a drone footage at Manchester City. Do I need to obtain a permission of that, and how can I know the flying area is safe and unrestricted?

Thank you, guys!
Eric

That area of Manchester is controlled airspace surface to 3500 ft, so you are advised to contact the air traffic control tower before every flight you make. However this is not compulsory (yet) as your craft is not over 7 Kg, so as long as you stay at least 1-3km away from the city airports / helipads you should be OK. Of course the general CAA rules mean you cannot fly higher than 120m or within 150 meters of any built-up area, so you will need to find wide open public spaces in the city, and also check there aren't local byelaws forbidding drones, which you often find in parks etc. Also, be aware that there are DJI no fly zones around the stadium and the prison.

It's very hard trying to find legal places to fly in a city, so be patient, take your time and do your research on sites like uavforecast.com and noflydrones.co.uk.

Last edited:
That area of Manchester is controlled airspace surface to 3500 ft, so you are advised to contact the air traffic control tower before every flight you make. However this is not compulsory (yet) as your craft is not over 7 Kg, so as long as you stay at least 1-3km away from the city airports / helipads you should be OK. Of course the general CAA rules mean you cannot fly higher than 120m or within 150 meters of any built-up area, so you will need to find wide open public spaces in the city, and also check there aren't local byelaws forbidding drones, which you often find in parks etc. Also, be aware that there are DJI no fly zones around the stadium and the prison.

It's very hard trying to find legal places to fly in a city, so be patient, take your time and do your research on sites like uavforecast.com and noflydrones.co.uk.

Thank you, mate!
I used DJI GO 4 app to check the no-fly zone that shows my planned area is out of the no-fly zone. However, I double-check it in Drone Assist app that shows this area is high risk (red). It makes me confused about whether I can fly my drone.

You're welcome. I agree it is confusing and frustrating trying to find safe places, and work out what is fine and what isn't ! :)
The area DJI assist marks as a danger area is probably referring to the controlled airspace, where there will probably be a fair bit of other air traffic (but most of it higher than 500 ft), so you should be constantly on the lookout in these areas, but they are not necessarily unsafe to fly, especially if you have a spotter with you, who can look around and tell you what's coming while you look at your craft.

DJI app is not a reference, it's based on DJI's own arbitrary appreciation and not on any actual regulatory basis. You need to refer to your local references and regulations.

You're welcome. I agree it is confusing and frustrating trying to find safe places, and work out what is fine and what isn't ! :)
The area DJI assist marks as a danger area is probably referring to the controlled airspace, where there will probably be a fair bit of other air traffic (but most of it higher than 500 ft), so you should be constantly on the lookout in these areas, but they are not necessarily unsafe to fly, especially if you have a spotter with you, who can look around and tell you what's coming while you look at your craft.
That sounds a great advice. Thank you!

Thank you, mate!
I used DJI GO 4 app to check the no-fly zone that shows my planned area is out of the no-fly zone. However, I double-check it in Drone Assist app that shows this area is high risk (red). It makes me confused about whether I can fly my drone.

Simple answer is NO. Not legally. That area is congested and built up.
Buildings are NOT under your control so you need to fly over 150 metres high, however the legal height limit is 120 metres.
If you are a pfco registered pilot you can apply to the CAA for permission, however you will need a very valid reason for this, and permission from the footy club.
But don’t worry, the way they’ve been playing lately, nobody will want footage of their ground anyway.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Simple answer is NO. Not legally. That area is congested and built up.
Buildings are NOT under your control so you need to fly over 150 metres high, however the legal height limit is 120 metres.
If you are a pfco registered pilot you can apply to the CAA for permission, however you will need a very valid reason for this, and permission from the footy club.
But don’t worry, the way they’ve been playing lately, nobody will want footage of their ground anyway.
OOOOOOh! That was bit below the belt!

Reactions: choo choo
Hi all,
I a new Mavic 2 zoom 'Pilot' living at Manchester Piccadilly. I plan to take a drone footage at Manchester City. Do I need to obtain a permission of that, and how can I know the flying area is safe and unrestricted?

Thank you, guys!
Eric
The only place you could take off from would be Phillips Park on the other side of Alan Turing Way, near the River Medlock. You're still a good way away from the stadium but you should be able to get some good footage from there. There are plenty of paths and tree cover where you could lose yourself. Not sure if there are any rules/bylaws in Phillips Park about flying drones, best check. Keep your drone 50 metres away from the Alan Turing Way, don't be tempted to fly over the road. That could land you in hot water if you post your video on social media and the authorities see it. No you won't be able to fly directly over the stadium, it is not under your control. Unless you actually go there and ask if you could take off from the pitch itself. You never know if you don't ask!

The only place you could take off from would be Phillips Park on the other side of Alan Turing Way, near the River Medlock. You're still a good way away from the stadium but you should be able to get some good footage from there. There are plenty of paths and tree cover where you could lose yourself. Not sure if there are any rules/bylaws in Phillips Park about flying drones, best check. Keep your drone 50 metres away from the Alan Turing Way, don't be tempted to fly over the road. That could land you in hot water if you post your video on social media and the authorities see it. No you won't be able to fly directly over the stadium, it is not under your control. Unless you actually go there and ask if you could take off from the pitch itself. You never know if you don't ask!
Thank you! Do you have any experience in taking the drone footage of Manchester? Any advice on it?

Thank you! Do you have any experience in taking the drone footage of Manchester? Any advice on it?
I live just south of Manchester in Altrincham. If you fly from Phillips Park, that will be a good test for that zoom lens you have on your Mavic 2! Flying in congested areas is fraught with regulations, plus you're almost certainly going to be in controlled airspace. There's more chance of a helicopter happening along and you don't want that to happen, trust me.... My advice would be, don't fly around the city, you'll almost certainly fall foul of some drone flying regulation or other and the long arm of Dibble will soon be feeling your collar!

I live just south of Manchester in Altrincham. If you fly from Phillips Park, that will be a good test for that zoom lens you have on your Mavic 2! Flying in congested areas is fraught with regulations, plus you're almost certainly going to be in controlled airspace. There's more chance of a helicopter happening along and you don't want that to happen, trust me.... My advice would be, don't fly around the city, you'll almost certainly fall foul of some drone flying regulation or other and the long arm of Dibble will soon be feeling your collar!

REALLY!! I can’t believe you are encouraging the OP to consider this flight. About the best he could do would be to hover over the park and hope to zoom in, but it’s a hellova distance.
If he goes beyond VLOS he’s breaking the law, if he goes beyond the park, he’s breaking the law because it’s heavily congested.
The number of buildings will mean he will most likely lose connection rapidly.
Media city (which is where the BBC and other TV broadcasters have studios and operate from) is even closer to the park than Manchester United. I’m not sure what effect their powerful transmissions will have on a small drone.
Either way this has disaster/lost drone at the very least written all over it.
My advice to the OP is to research the rules and law of where and what you can and can’t do.

REALLY!! I can’t believe you are encouraging the OP to consider this flight. About the best he could do would be to hover over the park and hope to zoom in, but it’s a hellova distance.
Indeed, I did say my advice would be don't fly around the city. However, I don't know how good your Manchester geography is but Phillips Park, if you are near the River Medlock is 560 metres away from the Etihad stadium, it's a fairly big park but yes, it'd basically be a straight up and down flight. I believe the zoom on the Mavic 2 is very good. BTW, Media city is 5 miles away right on the other side of town in Salford, nowhere near the Etihad. The OP did say he wanted footage of Manchster City stadium? I think you are getting confused with Manchester United's stadium at Old Trafford. Yes, that is pretty near Media City and I definitely wouldn't recommend flying around that area under any circumstances! Totally congested in every direction....

Hi all,

Thank you, guys!
Eric
I know city's football ground has a no fly zone around it.

know city's football ground has a no fly zone around it.
Indeed, I think all football stadiums have a NFZ around them but I don't know how far that zone extends? The OP would be flying a half a kilometer away......... In any case, he wouldn't be allowed to fly too close because it'd fall into the congested area rules, even if there were no NFZ.

Indeed, I did say my advice would be don't fly around the city. However, I don't know how good your Manchester geography is but Phillips Park, if you are near the River Medlock is 560 metres away from the Etihad stadium, it's a fairly big park but yes, it'd basically be a straight up and down flight. I believe the zoom on the Mavic 2 is very good. BTW, Media city is 5 miles away right on the other side of town in Salford, nowhere near the Etihad. The OP did say he wanted footage of Manchster City stadium? I think you are getting confused with Manchester United's stadium at Old Trafford. Yes, that is pretty near Media City and I definitely wouldn't recommend flying around that area under any circumstances! Totally congested in every direction....

Silly me. Of course it’s the blues he’s wanting a photo of...nobody in their right mind would want the reds. Not the way they are playing.
Sorry for the confusion.

Reactions: Ren57
There is no legal restrictions for you to fly in Menchester or in UK. Only restrictions are to not fly 1km close to air port or higher then 120m. Rest is just guidence, and good practice without legal status. This two rules 1km and 120m of altitude were itroduce recently this year, and now are part of criminal low. Also more will come with the end of this year and in next year with compulsory registration and online test.

There is no legal restrictions for you to fly in Menchester or in UK. Only restrictions are to not fly 1km close to air port or higher then 120m. Rest is just guidence, and good practice without legal status. This two rules 1km and 120m of altitude were itroduce recently this year, and now are part of criminal low. Also more will come with the end of this year and in next year with compulsory registration and online test.

Er, I think you may be a tad wrong. The regulations I think you are referring to apply to drones WITHOUT a camera.
Regulation 95 is the one which covers drones WITH a camera and are not permitted to fly over or within 150 metres of a congested area.
Or an open air gathering of 1000 people or more.
Not within 50 metres of a building or person not under control of the pilot.
Not sure about what you, but I’d say Manchester, or any other city, is fairly congested.
The OP may be able navigate a path to keep within the rules law to photograph the City ground. But then he may not have VLOS, which is breaking the LAW (ANO 94/3)
The CAA enforce the air regulations and drone regulations are a part of the Air Navigation Order 2016.
By not abiding with drone regulations you are breaking the ANO which is an offence.

Wrong! You are correct in that they use to be recommendations. But it has been since 2016 included in the CAA Air Navigation Order article 94 and 95 See the coat or arms at the top of the page with the word 'Legislation' next to it. The Air Navigation Order 2016 and has recently been updated to include the 1km limit from airports and 120 (400ft) height limit. And yes, there's more to come, much more. You'll soon have to register your aircraft and pass an on-line competency test. And possibly you'll have to use an app each and every time you fly that will tell the authorities exactly where you are! And if you think all that is a bit draconian, then you can thank all the people that didn't stick to what were previously only recommendations for that...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan