DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do the smaller drones get attacked by birds more then the phantom series?

I did a 500' orbit around a structure and it aggravated a bunch of crows somewhere in the orbit circle. They flew around the drone squawking but never got close enough to cause problems. It is interesting to see them in the video flying around.

Reactions: LoudThunder
I’ve had black capped chickadees try to boss my mini3 pro a couple of times during nesting season. Last thing I wanna do is injure a bird with my quad so I just flew away from the area. I’ve found that just about any size of bird will try to run off a drone if it’s close to the birds nest area.

From flying a Phantom drones for 7 years, I have a good idea of the frequencies of bird attacks. Having just gotten a mini 3 pro, I was wondering about birds attacking it since it is much smaller. I may put some reflective tape on it since it scares away birds.
If they feel threatened or are around their nest even if it is by accident, it doesn't matter. They are still loud and big enough. I know this from experience and over a ten years of piloting.

As far as reflective tape goes it hasn't helped deter birds from trying to scare or attack my drones . From what I've researched it doesn't help either. However there are some that swear by it!

Good luck and happy droning!

Last edited:
My advice, don't tempt fate, if you see birds that might attack or harass your drone, leave the area. The Birds were there first and they OWN the sky.

If you see a bird that is suddenly taking an undue interest in your drone, quickly fly UP… and then skedaddle out of the area.

Birds attack by "swooping" down onto their intended target. They attack with their feet, seagulls have webbed feet… while raptors--eagle, hawks, falcons, etc… use their talons… Seagulls do not consider a Drone a meal so it's not going to bite the drone but just smack it as they fly over it… The Raptor might try to grab the drone but more likely just smack it on it top.

I do not know how one might guestimate the likelihood of a bird attack on a large or smaller drone. It would seems that if the bird consider the drone a threat, it would more likely consider the larger one a threat. I've never seen a large bird chasing off a smaller bird, but plenty of small birds chasing off larger birds…

View attachment 161638
Alot of those birds species you listed will actually swoop up from underneath when it comes to drones to avoid the propellers.

• Haha
Alot of those birds species you listed will actually swoop up from underneath when it comes to drones to avoid the propellers.
You're saying that gull species make aerial attacks from below the target? And that they've learned what drones are and how to avoid hitting the props? (And that a bird can attack a drone from below and manage to keep it's wings and all other body parts out of the props?)

Have you seen this behavior described in references or is this based on personal observation?

• Haha
From flying a Phantom drones for 7 years, I have a good idea of the frequencies of bird attacks. Having just gotten a mini 3 pro, I was wondering about birds attacking it since it is much smaller. I may put some reflective tape on it since it scares away birds.
Here's my Mini-2 getting swarmed by swallows.

Here is the USA, all gull species, including ring-billed, herring, and great black-backed gull, are protected by Federal and State laws and regulations.

And chasing them with a Drone can get you in a lot of trouble…
Well I'm not from the USA §
My advice, don't tempt fate, if you see birds that might attack or harass your drone, leave the area. The Birds were there first and they OWN the sky.

If you see a bird that is suddenly taking an undue interest in your drone, quickly fly UP… and then skedaddle out of the area.

Birds attack by "swooping" down onto their intended target. They attack with their feet, seagulls have webbed feet… while raptors--eagle, hawks, falcons, etc… use their talons… Seagulls do not consider a Drone a meal so it's not going to bite the drone but just smack it as they fly over it… The Raptor might try to grab the drone but more likely just smack it on it top.

I do not know how one might guestimate the likelihood of a bird attack on a large or smaller drone. It would seems that if the bird consider the drone a threat, it would more likely consider the larger one a threat. I've never seen a large bird chasing off a smaller bird, but plenty of small birds chasing off larger birds…

View attachment 161638
Leaving the area doesn't work. Seagulls are extremely territoral and that would mean almost any area next to a lake would be impossible to fly in. I was taking a timelapse of a highway at 300 meters and a seagull climbed up to this altitude just to harass my drone (They usually fly at around 80 meters). So if seagulls are too stubborn might as well chase them away since that's what they are doing with drones anyway.

Leaving the area doesn't work. Seagulls are extremely territoral and that would mean almost any area next to a lake would be impossible to fly in. I was taking a timelapse of a highway at 300 meters and a seagull climbed up to this altitude just to harass my drone (They usually fly at around 80 meters). So if seagulls are too stubborn might as well chase them away since that's what they are doing with drones anyway.
Maybe Swiss gulls are more argumentative. I live on the Gulf of Mexico alongside lots of gulls. I've never had one react to my drones.

Here's my Mini-2 getting swarmed by swallows.
Swallows and martins do seem to be very curious about drones. I've had them circle around my drones quite a few times. But they've never approached closer than 15 feet or so (while the drones was hovering) and never caused any problem.

Your description "swarmed by swallows" seems more appropriate than "Under attack" in the video title.

You're saying that gull species make aerial attacks from below the target? And that they've learned what drones are and how to avoid hitting the props? (And that a bird can attack a drone from below and manage to keep it's wings and all other body parts out of the props?)

Have you seen this behavior described in references or is this based on personal observation?
No point in debating with you, but to entertain you for a few moments I am involved in falconry. I know just a wee bit about birds. Yes, many species of birds in more domesticated areas have learned to adapt. This is from my own observation and just a known fact. It's not this way in every geography, but in many it is.

Happy droning!

Never had this problem, first someone needs to notice you have a drone, then they would need to notice you're chasing the bird, call the cops and by that time the seagull is already gone
Here, our gulls are at the shore with lots of karens around, just dying to tattle on someone. Apparently, gulls are deemed migratory so they are protected but they are a major nuisance at the shore, crapping all over everything, stealing french fries and more.

No point in debating with you, but to entertain you for a few moments I am involved in falconry. I know just a wee bit about birds. Yes, many species of birds in more domesticated areas have learned to adapt. This is from my own observation and just a known fact. It's not this way in every geography, but in many it is.

Happy droning!
I'm not at all interested in debating, either. Facts do appeal to me. They're quite entertaining, as well as enlightening.

I'm a bit involved in birds, too. I'm doing survey work on coastal birds and I've logged quite a few hours in gliders sharing thermals with hawks and eagles. I'm very curious about your observations of seagulls attacking a drone from below.. And I'm curious about how they'd be able to avoid getting their wings into the rotors.

• Wow
Perhaps you need to watch some YouTube Videos of Birds attacking Birds, Cats, Dogs, People, etc… Birds use their feet, they have never perfected the "Header" as in Soccer… When you have heard a thump on your window and gone outside and found a dead bird on your porch, patio, sidewalk, it's because it took a Header into your window…

I've also put much stock into the "bird-net" (the Bird's communications network) to trade secrets on how to best attack a drone…

Birds attack with their feet, large birds, especially a raptor's feet are called Talons, while smaller birds (song birds and such -- robins, cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, etc…) are called Claws. Ducks and geese have what is called a palmate foot, where the three front toes are webbed and the hind toe is small and elevated and not suited for much of anything…

Owl 2.gif

I know you are not in the USA and that is why I started my posting with, "Here in the USA…"

Even though sea gulls are protected in the US, they are still shot, poisoned, and trapped, since some people consider them a nuisance. But doing that is illegal, but those folks do not care, that is until they are caught, then it's "I'm sorry, I did not know…"

But I googled Switzerland and trying to find the facts concerning sea gull protection in Switzerland is difficult since I do not know the legal structure of your country. But from what I did find, you probably should not be flying your drone in any manner that might be construed to harassing the gulls…

Just saying; a word to the wise; don't take it as a personal attack; I am not your seagull…

There is a resident bald eagle at one of our marinas nearby. He sits in the same tree every afternoon and he will let me fly up and take pictures of him for a while until he gets tired of it. I was nervous at first because I was afraid he would attack my drone, but he's there for fish carcasses and he is used to being in close proximity to people. I took this pic Wednesday.

A0CF65DF-1990-4A48-B659-261AF641DEC2.jpeg

I was out at my parents farm one weekend and was chased around by a hawk with my Mavic Mini. Fortunately it didn't catch the drone. Later in the day I flew my Phantom 4 Pro and again the same hawk tried to catch the drone, it wasn't successful as I put it into sport mode and got it up to 45 mph. But that hawk that day was one pain in the neck. He was dive bombing the drones and chasing them around, matching my moves. It actually made it fun.

• Wow
There is a resident bald eagle at one of our marinas nearby. He sits in the same tree every afternoon and he will let me fly up and take pictures of him for a while until he gets tired of it. I was nervous at first because I was afraid he would attack my drone, but he's there for fish carcasses and he is used to being in close proximity to people. I took this pic Wednesday.

View attachment 161733
What a Great Photo. I zoomed in on him and I swear that he is staring right into your lens...

There is a resident bald eagle at one of our marinas nearby.
What a Great Photo. I zoomed in on him and I swear that he is staring right into your lens...

Reactions: SDS
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000