DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Do you think the Air 3 will be a thing in the near future?

What's your opinion on the Mavic Air series' future

• Total voters

Yaros

Reactions
I own the Mavic Air 2, and I'm pretty happy with it, however I'm wondering if Mavic Air 3 will be a thing in the near future, as they released the Mavic 3 Classic, which I didn't expect, and now I'm thinking that maybe the Mavic 3 Classic is what supposed to be the Air 3. The Mavic 3 Classic is a bit expensive for me though, Air 2S is nice, but as DJI releases drones quite frequently, recently, I guess I will wait for a new Mavic Air drone to release to sell my Mavic Air 2 and buy a new one.

I own the Mavic Air 2, and I'm pretty happy with it, however I'm wondering if Mavic Air 3 will be a thing in the near future, as they released the Mavic 3 Classic, which I didn't expect, and now I'm thinking that maybe the Mavic 3 Classic is what supposed to be the Air 3. The Mavic 3 Classic is a bit expensive for me though, Air 2S is nice, but as DJI releases drones quite frequently, recently, I guess I will wait for a new Mavic Air drone to release to sell my Mavic Air 2 and buy a new one.
I own an Air 2 also,and it is a great drone.In the near future I will upgrade to the Mavic 3 Classic.
I really believe their will be an air 3 ,sometime in 2023,but the price point is going to be the important
factor.If the Air 3 is only within a few hundred bucks of the mavic 3 Classic drone alone package then
I see some major issues developing.Just my thoughts
Have a good day.

My suggestion, fly what you have and don't waste time worrying about what might come later. As a professional photographer, I see these same posts on camera forums all the time. While the posters fret over gear obsolescence, the rest of us are capturing images and making money.

I think the M3 classic is basically what an Air 3 would have been.
I think the Air 3 will have the same air frame as the mini 3 pro,air 2s size with an internal fan.
1 inch sensor with now adjustable aperatere .With camera specs similar to the autel lite + drone.
So basically a mini 3 pro but larger and with a bigger but not over a one inch sensor.

Reactions: Yaros
My suggestion, fly what you have and don't waste time worrying about what might come later. As a professional photographer, I see these same posts on camera forums all the time. While the posters fret over gear obsolescence, the rest of us are capturing images and making money.
This can be fair, but doesn't always apply.
"fly what you have" doesn't always work. Such as if you don't have it yet.

If I'm looking at the current product range and think the Air 2S is the closest thing to matching my needs in the current line, then that might be what I'll get.

But unless I have lots of disposable income, or am working professionally with the drone so it's "paying its own way" and I can maybe thus justify turning it over, the question of how soon an Air 3 may appear has some merit. I would have to weigh up the benefits of having an Air 2S now vs the frustration of not having an Air 3 when it comes out.
The longer it turns out to be before an Air 3 arrives, the less frustrating it will be.

Of course it's always worth keeping in mind that it can take a while for new models to settle down, get firmware updates to make them work the way we want, etc. So that may give you another few months buffer to stave off the frustration. :cool:

Having said all that, I've just pulled the pin on getting an Air 2S...

I also have a Air 2 (2.5 years old) and was about to post the same question.

The M3 Classic doesn't seem like an equivalent of the Air 2/2S, at least from looking at the specs it's a step up. It's heavier, fast, all around higher specs and cost. The Mini 3 Pro is more comparable to the Air 2/2S but lighter with lower specs and cost than the 2S.. plus exempt from FAA RID.

It seems DJI could drop the Air line in favor of the Mini Pro 3. This would give them three variants of the Mavic - High end (Mavic 3), intermediate (Mavic 3 Classic), and entry/recreational (Mini 3 Pro).

I also have a Air 2 (2.5 years old) and was about to post the same question.

The M3 Classic doesn't seem like an equivalent of the Air 2/2S, at least from looking at the specs it's a step up. It's heavier, fast, all around higher specs and cost. The Mini 3 Pro is more comparable to the Air 2/2S but lighter with lower specs and cost than the 2S.. plus exempt from FAA RID.

It seems DJI could drop the Air line in favor of the Mini Pro 3. This would give them three variants of the Mavic - High end (Mavic 3), intermediate (Mavic 3 Classic), and entry/recreational (Mini 3 Pro).
Mini 3 pro is not exempt from RID,it is RID compliant meaning it is currently broadcasting RID,and the battery size matters not.
A video from a rep at the FAA says if the drone is listed on their website as being RID compliant as the mini 3 pro is.
It is broadcasting RID.Even the yet to be released mini 3 is already listed as RID compliant.

Mini 3 pro is not exempt from RID,it is RID compliant meaning it is currently broadcasting RID,and the battery size matters not.
A video from a rep at the FAA says if the drone is listed on their website as being RID compliant as the mini 3 pro is.
It is broadcasting RID.Even the yet to be released mini 3 is already listed as RID compliant.
The FAA RID rule states "All drone pilots required to register, including those who fly for fun, for business, or for public safety, must operate their drone in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023"

Drones weighing less than 250 grams and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers are not required to be registered.

It would seem that use of RID on the Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro is only necessary if it is being used for commercial purposes or flying with the heavier battery that puts it over 250 grams.

The FAA RID rule states "All drone pilots required to register, including those who fly for fun, for business, or for public safety, must operate their drone in accordance with the final rule on remote ID beginning September 16, 2023"

Drones weighing less than 250 grams and are flown exclusively under the Exception for Recreational Flyers are not required to be registered.

It would seem that use of RID on the Mini 3 or Mini 3 Pro is only necessary if it is being used for commercial purposes or flying with the heavier battery that puts it over 250 grams.
Sorry to rain on your parade,but check page 72 of the Mini 3 pro user manual and you will find that it says
the mini 3 pro is broadcasting remote ID.
And a clip on here from a FAA rep has said,if the drone is on the remote iD compliance list which the mini 3 ,and mini 3 pro are.
It is currently broadcasting RID. Does not matter which battery is being used.
The RID was implemented with the very latest DJI fly app and firmware updates.

I guess there's no easy way for the drone to tell which battery its carrying to know if its over the 250 gram limit, so DJI doesn't give the operator an option to turn RID off. It will be interesting to see if some drone maker decides to sell a pure under 250 gram aircraft without RID to satisfy recreational flyers that don't want RID at all.

I guess there's no easy way for the drone to tell which battery its carrying to know if its over the 250 gram limit, so DJI doesn't give the operator an option to turn RID off. It will be interesting to see if some drone maker decides to sell a pure under 250 gram aircraft without RID to satisfy recreational flyers that don't want RID at all.
Too bad it has to be like this,and no option to turn it on or off.
Broadcasts on takeoff to landing.I guess if a pilot is interested
in getting the mini 3 pro or mini 3 ,he or she may as well get the
larger battery plus.Now that it makes no difference weight wise.
I'm sure other companies such as autel will follow in DJI's footsteps
and do the same thing.Their autel lite+ is already on the rid compliant
list.Their nano+ mini drone will likely follow the same path.

I actually think the FAA's 250 gram threshold for requiring drones to be equipped with RID is rather arbitrary. The FAA is concerned with the safety/security of the navigable airspace and needs to regulate drones from that standpoint, while I suspect most of the public is concerned over individual privacy and intrusion of drones with cameras into their immediate personal space.

Registration is not the same as Remote ID. Registration is putting the serial number in the FAA database and getting a tail number you apply to the aircraft. The $5 fee. Remote ID is the broadcasting of location data for the drone and the remote. All aircraft will need remote ID unless they are indoors or flying in a FRIA. The 250g exclusion is with the lighter battery and only for the registration. If you use a drone commercially no matter the size it must be registered.

This is getting off-topic.
This is not a Remote-ID thread. If you want to talk about that then create a new thread regarding US laws and remote ID on sub-250g drones.

This is a thread about the future of the Air lineup of DJI drones. Any new comments regarding this, welcome!

Thanks!!

So back to the OP, where would the possible Air 3 fit in the Mavic lineup? And cost point would make sense? If it were substantially lower than the new Mavic 3 Classic, would it cannibalize that market. They could use a less expansive camera sensor, but would that encroach on the Mini 3 space?

I guess the real question is there room for four models in the Mavic family or just three?

So back to the OP, where would the possible Air 3 fit in the Mavic lineup?
In between Air 2S and Mavic 3 Classic.
Maybe a bit higher than 1 inch sensor, but with variable aperture, longer flight time, O3+.
Bonus features would be something like waypoints...

So back to the OP, where would the possible Air 3 fit in the Mavic lineup? And cost point would make sense? If it were substantially lower than the new Mavic 3 Classic, would it cannibalize that market. They could use a less expansive camera sensor, but would that encroach on the Mini 3 space?

I guess the real question is there room for four models in the Mavic family or just three?

The Air 3 could easily fit if it had some features other drones don't. Like a beefier mini 3 that can handle more wind, crazy battery life, real optical zoom, autonomous waypoints, variable aperture, etc. I doubt it'll happen though.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22