DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone actually fly shielded?

Off - you are blocking the air cooling intake

I agree for this reason and for others

1. Not willing to take a chance by restricting air flow through the vents to the electronics
if it is too warm (whatever that is) it might just fry something
2. If you want to protect the camera lens, get a Neewer UV filter and a lens brush.
It will cost you about half an Fstop

Reactions: Ping^Spike
As @Simmo just said, Thunderdrones has done extensive testing on whether or not the gimbal shield causes overhearing or even inceases internal temps at all, and it doesn't. I personally fly with one of those gimbal shades to keep from from getting prop shadows. -CF

Reactions: JayNC
You'll get the best pictures with the "bubble" off, but it does protect the camera from precip or dust in flight. The rubber cover protects the bubble from scratches and was intended to be removed easily (sometimes too easily). There's no issue with heat buildup, air flows freely through the gap around the bubble and the cooling fan draws it through easily.

In extremely cold temps or high moisture environments I fly with it on. Since it indeed blocks the air intake this allows for the aircraft to both “retain” heat and not suck in high levels of moisture. If it’s warmer than 40F I do not fly with it on as it does cause reflections and what not.

I only used it on my first flight. I only use it to protect the gimbal during transport now.

Use the bubble. I probably wouldn’t have lost my gimbal when I crashed today if I’d been using the bubble.

Of course I have never flown with the global cover on since my maiden flight (because i expected to crash on the first go, plus after becoming a drone expect without owning a drone from watching YouTube lol)... but all the marketing photography features it on, but what does eveyone else do?

I did see some reflection from it which is why most take it off I guess...

I just feel lile I'm being an idiot when taking it off.. like someone walking through a safari park with bacon strapped to their backs saying it's fine it's what everyone else does lol

I guess it's in the marketing because it's a way of them protecting themselves against damage claims....

Shield on or off?
I remove it, as it affects the video. Need to remove it to get the gimbal lock off, anyway.

I saw a video where the gimbal had excessive vibration from high speed. I’m sure the shield would have prevented those warnings.

Brand new Mavic...opened a week ago...protective silicone skin was not glued down. Held in place by static cling.

I took off globe and put on a 'protective bumper' but you can see the edges in the corners.....Now I just keep the globe on when it's in the case but take it off to fly....

Says who?

Says anyone looking at the Mavic with the cover on. The cooling intake is behind the camera. The fan won't be able to pull on the same amount of air. Testing has also showed the Mavic internals increasing in temperature with the cover on.

However, whether or not the internals will reach any kind of critical temp with the cover on - I don't know. I've flown quite a bit with the cover on, just in case when doing some close proximity flying - and I haven't experienced issues. I fly in Denmark though, so high ambient temps aren't really an issue.

Yeah I think that's it really.. it's just weird as they also give a rubber scratch guard like it's meant to be used...

It was definitely meant to be used, at least occasionally. Many of DJI's own promotional photos show the bubble in place while the Mavic is in flight. That's why the plastic is clear and the scratch guard is provided. However, I think they have since revised their thinking because the new gimbal guards are smoked instead of clear. :D

I use this, but there is one I’d rather have that has a more flared opening, as mine does occasionally show in the images:
https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-Gimbal-Guard-Protective-Mibote/dp/B06WLL2BZW

I got tired of seeing reflections in the clear cover in my images, I only put it on the MP when I’m bagging it for transport, to keep dust off the lens. If I had a dust cap for the lens, I’d just use the one linked above.

If I had a dust cap for the lens

May I suggest a UV Filter to cover the lens and a brush to dust it off before flying.

On a SLR camera you would only loose a half F-Stop (as minimal as it gets) on the MPP you would be hard pressed to see a difference. Now you can use the OEM Bubble cover for transport

For the lens brush, an inexpensive brush is all it takes $2.00 or $3.00 is a heck of a lot less expensive than replacing the lens on the Mavic, what ever the model

Last edited:
Says anyone looking at the Mavic with the cover on. The cooling intake is behind the camera. The fan won't be able to pull on the same amount of air. Testing has also showed the Mavic internals increasing in temperature with the cover on.

However, whether or not the internals will reach any kind of critical temp with the cover on - I don't know. I've flown quite a bit with the cover on, just in case when doing some close proximity flying - and I haven't experienced issues. I fly in Denmark though, so high ambient temps aren't really an issue.
Here is a good thread on whether temps increase with the bubble on vs off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1