DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does anyone know if EU license rules....

Blackhawk1964

Reactions
I'm curious to know if I obtain a flying license in one EU country (Italy for example where I mostly fly recreationally) , will that license also be valid in all other EU countries as well? Or will I have to purchase or test in those other countries as well?

It would seem logical to have that license valid for all EU countries but as everyone knows the laws vary widely on almost all issues from one country to another.

I can't seem to find the exact laws addressing this question....

Thanks in advance for your response.

Thanks!
So how does someone need to go about flying in a different country today "legally"?

Also do you have a direct link source to the new law which can be shown if stopped while flying in a different country next year?

So how does someone need to go about flying in a different country today "legally"?

Exactly as you might expect; you read-up the requirements for flying in that country, make sure that they have actually implemented the new regulations, and comply with any test/registration/license number display requirements, payment of fees, etc.. And, yes, that often means all the hassle and inconvenience that goes with using tools like Google Translate on technical speak, which can be a huge PITA on some occassions. Some countries *do* offer a simple waiver for tourists, albeit often with things like no commercial usage, no night time flying, and strict VLOS restrictions, so if that's all that you intend to do then it might be possible to skip the test requirement.

English *is* the language of International Aviation though, so if you get stuck then reaching out to the national Aviation Authority in English will usually get a response and at least some assistance - demonstrably trying to do the right thing does seem to be appreciated. I've flown in quite a few countries now, and generally provide as much detail as I can up front - UK CAA registration info, type and weight of drone, where I am intending to operate, what kinds of images and be shooting and why, and *always* show that I have knowledge of local laws. I then run that through Google Translate to put it into the local language and include that too. Initial responses can be mixed, and have ranged from permits being sent in the reply (on a few occasions negating the need to do a test!) to not much help at all other than links I'd already found, but so far I've been able to sort out something for every country I've wanted to fly in where permits are required, albeit with a little perseverance required sometimes.

Thanks!

Also do you have a direct link source to the new law which can be shown if stopped while flying in a different country next year?
Today you need to discover the rules for each country. In some places you might have to register for the country, and/or take an exam which might not be available in your own language.
I have this page bookmarked
Updates about drones | UK Civil Aviation Authority
The page gets updated but currently the 3rd item links to the new rules, and the page also has the information about things being delayed from July to the end of 2020 (oddly the new rules come into effect on December 31, not January 1). And a quick google for drone regulations 2021 gives good results.

Reactions: Blackhawk1964
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greg190