DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does your AIR 2S have a wide panoramic image stitching issue

I'm having problem that neither lightroom or Photoshop can merge the panoramas with the perspective settings anymore. Anyone else?

Is it to wide?

I'm having problem that neither lightroom or Photoshop can merge the panoramas with the perspective settings anymore. Anyone else?

Is it to wide?

Is it to wide?
No .. the images aren't "too wide".
There is no such thing as too wide much wider images can be stitched very easily.
Photoshop and Lightroom aren't very good software for stitching and dedicated stitching software will give better results.
The Perspective projection isn't a good projection to use for stitching and has limitations.

See this thread which is about the issue you are asking about:

Reactions: Sebsela
I'm experiencing the same thing. Air 2 takes perfectly stitched wide panos. My Air 2s does not stitch correctly like the original poster said. I'm hoping a firmware update could fix this?

I'll try recalibrating everything again (I did it when I first got it already).

i've been experimenting with wide panos on the air2s.
it takes 9 shots.
mine are set for DNG.
this is my workflow, albeit slow.
i don't use the DJI Fly stitched images.
rather, i import the 9 pano DNG files into a separate folder in Adobe Lightroom.
I then export JPG files, full size.
Next, Microsoft Image Composite Editor (ICE) reads the JPG files and stitches them.
(For some reason, I can't get ICE to work with the DJI DNG files and produce full-sized stitches.)
I usually select "Panoramic" projection.
Then I crop the main area, excluding the wildly distorted corners.
This will result in a mega-sized JPG file.
I will re-import that image into Lightroom or Photoshop and do the final tone/crop editing.
Resulting cropped file is approx 9000x6000 pixels.

CireNac.jpg
How do you export all nine images separately, as soon as I take the wide angle shot it automatically stitches it together into one image with the stitching problems

I Only shoot wide Panos so i have learned as Meta4 has stated that both Height and the Angle can provide a much cleaner stitched picture however I do have a tiny miss step in some of the pictures. I assumed it was because of the wind that I am flying in or the Rain. Now I am thinking maybe not.

After looking a my pictures of the Air 2 and the Air 2S there are some overlaps on the 2S , good catch.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

2021-09-20_16h05_09.png

Last edited:
How do you export all nine images separately, as soon as I take the wide angle shot it automatically stitches it together into one image with the stitching problems

welcome to the forum!

U have to download the separate images from the card into lightroom or some other processor

Does the Air 2S still have the spherical panorama stitching issue? Is it possible to fix it in PTGUI? I am thinking of buying Air 2S for my 360° virtual tour business, but the spherical panorama is the most important feature for me. Should I think of another drone?

I don't believe the internal panos are generated using control point analysis. Since the camera geometry and shooting order are all predetermined, I suspect the internal stitching just matches points by fixed coordinates. Using control points takes a lot of time and processing, and you would know if the drone was doing that.

Irregularities in the drone's built-in panos are probably due to errors positioning the drone or the gimbal between shots, possibly due to wind or altitude drift. Ironically, because control point detection isn't used, this method may actually work better over featureless surfaces like water.

Does the Air 2S still have the spherical panorama stitching issue? Is it possible to fix it in PTGUI? I am thinking of buying Air 2S for my 360° virtual tour business, but the spherical panorama is the most important feature for me. Should I think of another drone?
Spherical stitching works fine if you take the hi-res images to a stitching tool. I've had some problems with alignment when shooting panos over still water where the drone wasn't able to hold a constant altitude.

Spherical stitching works fine if you take the hi-res images to a stitching tool. I've had some problems with alignment when shooting panos over still water where the drone wasn't able to hold a constant altitude.
The drone should be able to maintain altitude over water,as it does over land (unless you are down low and the surface is rising and falling with waves etc).
Stitching issues over water are most likely just problems with the software unable to identify any points to match.

The drone should be able to maintain altitude over water,as it does over land (unless you are down low and the surface is rising and falling with waves etc).
Stitching issues over water are most likely just problems with the software unable to identify any points to match.
Actually, this was down low, over an empty swimming pool. The drone registered an erroneous slow descent, and its attempt to maintain the hover resulted in an actual climb over the pool. I think it expected more from the sensors at that height, but not over water. There were enough features for stitching, but the drone had climbed maybe two meters while shooting the sphere, so there were some alignment issues where the last shots overlapped with the first.

I have a solution, after taking a panorama in photoshop you can apply the Adaptive Wide Angel Filter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom