DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dollar store wet suit for Mavic Air 2

svenmarbles

Reactions
I think I came up with an inexpensive solution to a weatherproofing measure for the MA2.

From what I understand, the main vulnerability to flying the MA2 in the rain is the battery button and the seal between the drone and the battery. Dampness can and in fact does go into these areas when flying in wet conditions. The motors are impervious to water as the same types are often used in RC boats and such.

There are commercially available suits who’s engineering seems to be primarily focused on the battery. I figured, well,... How about some 3M foam tape? $1.07 from the dollar tree and I figure I have at least 10 instances/applications of weather protection. Leaves no residue when removed..

What do you think?

65c9c94e0352e336b3b1271c423cbecc.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Not a bad idea and very cost effective. But the leg pivots have opening that water will seep through. And wet rotors will throw water into any openings in a fine forced profusion of mist. Best in general to avoid rain. The Mavic series is not designed to be water tight for ventilation and cost.

Those of us who have had some experience with electronics and engineering understand that there is a significant difference between atmospheric heat, direct or adjacent heat and residual heat. Obstructing the natural dissipation of heat is likely over time, even in a cold atmosphere, to cause battery bloating, degradation of the battery PMU and the build up of excess internal heat to the battery connectors and internal components. DJI could most certainly look at the logs related to the battery heat and other internal components and void your warranty and refresh care. Also, the Mavic's firmware is intuitive enough to sense excess battery heat and internal heat to reduce power to the rotors or even shutdown the logic board to protect it.

In addition, flying at higher speeds which inherently increases battery usage and creates heat which would not benefit from the increased air flow needed to properly ventilate battery. Heat typically rises and placing something on top of the battery that impedes air exchange would cause heat buildup.

The only application I could only see flying in the rain or impeding the heat dissipation of the battery would be an emergency where it warranted sacrificing the drone for the greater good.

Last edited:
I think I came up with an inexpensive solution to a weatherproofing measure for the MA2.

From what I understand, the main vulnerability to flying the MA2 in the rain is the battery button and the seal between the drone and the battery. Dampness can and in fact does go into these areas when flying in wet conditions. The motors are impervious to water as the same types are often used in RC boats and such.

There are commercially available suits who’s engineering seems to be primarily focused on the battery. I figured, well,... How about some 3M foam tape? $1.07 from the dollar tree and I figure I have at least 10 instances/applications of weather protection. Leaves no residue when removed..

What do you think?

Give the high price of bespoke silicone wetsuits, I think simple cleap alternatives, such as this, may well work for occasional, light use - such as flying in mist or very light drizzle.
I had been thinking of a similar seal using blu-tack which as a thin bead could be pushed along all open seams (including leg joints if required) and is easily removed, relatively light and leaves no residue. One consideration I can think of is the possibility of the material (of whatever type) coming free and contacting with the Mavic motors - clearly something to be avoided!

Wrap it in shrink wrap plastic and poke holes where the vents are at so the aircraft can breathe.

There is much more engineering involved in real wetsuit solutions. You will get what you pay. Is my understanding get the final product took hundreds of testing before the final product came out. I did my research before getting mine.

In addition, it looks awesome in the drone, and forum members get extra battery covers and if you mess up the installation (that is difficult because is very straightforward) I am sure you can ask for the mess up part.

I am just a happy customer.

What do you think?

I think that would probably do just as good as any cover. If you cover a few more spots like the leg connections, you'll have it.
Just because one company made a more expensive cover, doesn't mean some innovation and new idea's won't work.
As for me, if I want to fly in the rain I will buy a drone made for that.

Reactions: DavidBlezard
Not a bad idea and very cost effective. But the leg pivots have opening that water will seep through. And wet rotors will throw water into any openings in a fine forced profusion of mist. Best in general to avoid rain. The Mavic series is not designed to be water tight for ventilation and cost.

Those of us who have had some experience with electronics and engineering understand that there is a significant difference between atmospheric heat, direct or adjacent heat and residual heat. Obstructing the natural dissipation of heat is likely over time, even in a cold atmosphere, to cause battery bloating, degradation of the battery PMU and the build up of excess internal heat to the battery connectors and internal components. DJI could most certainly look at the logs related to the battery heat and other internal components and void your warranty and refresh care. Also, the Mavic's firmware is intuitive enough to sense excess battery heat and internal heat to reduce power to the rotors or even shutdown the logic board to protect it.

In addition, flying at higher speeds which inherently increases battery usage and creates heat which would not benefit from the increased air flow needed to properly ventilate battery. Heat typically rises and placing something on top of the battery that impedes air exchange would cause heat buildup.

The only application I could only see flying in the rain or impeding the heat dissipation of the battery would be an emergency where it warranted sacrificing the drone for the greater good.

As someone that has over 300 Flights in the Pouring Rain with DJI drones, I can tell you first hand that none of what you are copying and pasting is true or even relates closely to the DJI drones.

Not for the Phantom 3or 4 or the entire Mavic Series. You are way off the Mark.

All anyone has to do is watch this Months Video of our adventures in the rain to understand that none of what you are saying relates to the DJI drones.

• Haha
Reactions: Romulus Archibald
I think that would probably do just as good as any cover. If you cover a few more spots like the leg connections, you'll have it.
Just because one company made a more expensive cover, doesn't mean some innovation and new idea's won't work.
As for me, if I want to fly in the rain I will buy a drone made for that.
I agree with your innovations. Is just I do not risk my drone unless is something already proved. I can not imagine how many drones or battery phantomrain losses before came out with a suitable solution.

Give the high price of bespoke silicone wetsuits, I think simple cleap alternatives, such as this, may well work for occasional, light use - such as flying in mist or very light drizzle.
I had been thinking of a similar seal using blu-tack which as a thin bead could be pushed along all open seams (including leg joints if required) and is easily removed, relatively light and leaves no residue. One consideration I can think of is the possibility of the material (of whatever type) coming free and contacting with the Mavic motors - clearly something to be avoided!

The bespoke Wet Suits are not made of Silicone that would be a disaster.
The Wet Suits are made of Closed Cell Neoprene both 3mm 2mm 1.5 mm based on the form and function of the Wet Suit.

Once you realize that a little water in the power button is all it takes to fully compromise your battery.
You can tell a battery has been comprimised by the flashing power button.

You also have battereis that dont flash but simply swell as they no longer can discharge.

You also have to consider what happens during the flight.
Battery disconnects once the terminals get wet. and no warning just flips over and falls out of the sky.

Or you get a Warning. { The battery can no longer communicate with the controller } seconds latter the drone flips over.

You can compromise a battery in seconds :

Here is the Actual Flight where we learn painfully learn that the Power button must be protected as we compromise the battery ..

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
@Phantomrain.org Did you lose that drone? or just the battery?

This would be the first time I get the DJI Warning : Battery can no longer connect to the controller and It force lands.
The flashing light on top was key that the battery was comprised and the battery swelled up a few days latter.

This is why protecting both the Battery Compartment and the Power Button is so Critical to flying in the Rain or the Falling Snow and why we created the Wet Suits for DJI drones.

Last edited:
I agree with your innovations. Is just I do not risk my drone unless is something already proved. I can not imagine how many drones or battery phantomrain losses before came out with a suitable solution.
Not mine, this wasn't my thread, I was just commenting on svenmarbles.

Reactions: zeusfl
There seems to be many big ideas happening at the same time.

I will say that given the expensive investment of these drones, it does not hurt (at all) to make a data driven decision and go with something reliable.

Clearly, OP is trying to innovate which in essence should be the focus.

To be transparent, I went with the wetsuit recently for my M2Z and M2P and even got the "water landing jacket" ( it doesnt feel like a jacket but i get it) by Phantom Rain @Phantomrain.org . At first I was so skeptical I called him up because I was so in awe at simple in design in looked, superficially at least. After my first 2 flights I call him back with feedback to which he provided invaluable information, and helped me make my correction over the phone. Since then I have had more than 6 flights in full pouring rain using my M2Z with not even a drop in the battery compartment or change in over performance even when flying in ideal normal conditions.

Whenever I tell people about this wetsuit, they think im either silly for flying drones in the rain or that Ive been had, that is made to believe a thin "rubber" cover over the drone would protect it. That is until you see it flawlessly soar through the rain, along with all the video proof online. ?

As @zeusfl said, Im just a happy customer as well.

However I would not mind seeing if OP develops an alternative wet suit, provided he runs multiple trails and goes through the equivalent extent of testing it before suggesting it would actually work.

Just saying.

There seems to be many big ideas happening at the same time.

I will say that given the expensive investment of these drones, it does not hurt (at all) to make a data driven decision and go with something reliable.

Clearly, OP is trying to innovate which in essence should be the focus.

To be transparent, I went with the wetsuit recently for my M2Z and M2P and even got the "water landing jacket" ( it doesnt feel like a jacket but i get it) by Phantom Rain @Phantomrain.org . At first I was so skeptical I called him up because I was so in awe at simple in design in looked, superficially at least. After my first 2 flights I call him back with feedback to which he provided invaluable information, and helped me make my correction over the phone. Since then I have had more than 6 flights in full pouring rain using my M2Z with not even a drop in the battery compartment or change in over performance even when flying in ideal normal conditions.

Whenever I tell people about this wetsuit, they think im either silly for flying drones in the rain or that Ive been had, that is made to believe a thin "rubber" cover over the drone would protect it. That is until you see it flawlessly soar through the rain, along with all the video proof online. ?

As @zeusfl said, Im just a happy customer as well.

However I would not mind seeing if OP develops an alternative wet suit, provided he runs multiple trails and goes through the equivalent extent of testing it before suggesting it would actually work.

Just saying.
I can not agree more with you.

As someone that has over 300 Flights in the Pouring Rain with DJI drones, I can tell you first hand that none of what you are copying and pasting is true or even relates closely to the DJI drones.

Not for the Phantom 3or 4 or the entire Mavic Series. You are way off the Mark.

All anyone has to do is watch this Months Video of our adventures in the rain to understand that none of what you are saying relates to the DJI drones.

Does using the wetsuit void your warrantee and/or DJI Refresh?

Does using the wetsuit void your warrantee and/or DJI Refresh?

No it does not void the DJI warranty or the DJI Refresh Program and we have been selling the Wet Suits now for the Last 3 Years covering the life span of the Phantom 3 and Phantom 4 and the Phantom 4v2 right into the Mavic Series Drones.

Your statement seems to be conflict with both DJI's own Warrantee and Refresh Program exclusions which specifically state the use of any third-party part and/or accessories voids your warranty. And also what other users have posted from direct conversations with DJI's Customer support.

Using ANY Third-Party Mavic Accessories VOIDS Your Warranty

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78