DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Confrontations

I) who now has a legal gun in the UK? Not that many I would guess. Taking "property" to mean houses I suspect the most over flights are in suburbs and firing a gun there would, at a guess, be illegal, possibly result in a visit from an armed response unit, probably lead to the confiscation of the gun and maybe porridge.
2) Owned and flown by whom, how would it safely bring down the intruder?
3) how do you safely crash a drone over/in the suburbs?
4) how do you safely control the jammed drone?
5) what of injuries to the bird? NOT joking regarding this one even in the slightest.

You'd do better to put on you Superman gear or grab Neville Longbottom's broomstick and whizz up and grab it.
Happy April fool's

Last edited:
In the US, the airspace is controlled by the FAA, and if there's a drone crash of any significance (serious injury to a person or more than $500 damage to property other than the drone), the drone pilot is required to report it to the FAA.

The FAA will do an investigation, and if it's found that the cause of the drone crash is that some idiot used a firearm to shoot it out of the sky, then that's going to lead to a whole lot of problems for that person.

Interfering with the operation of an aircraft in US airspace. Federal crime.
Firing a weapon in a reckless and dangerous manner. Almost certainly a crime anywhere in the US.
Those bullets have to come down someplace. Possible injury to someone or damage to property.
The disabled drone crashes someplace, damaged batteries start a fire and people are harmed and property is destroyed.

That said.
If someone is dim enough to not think through the consequences of firing a weapon into the air, or of disabling a drone mid-flight, they are probably also dim enough to think that they "have the right" to do it.

Err on the side of safety. For you and your drone.

:::EDIT:::
Also, it's a good idea to get insurance coverage for your drone operations.
There might even be a policy that will cover trained eagle attacks. :)

Thoughts?

That article looks like another online exercise in the expression of excessive machismo in a fantasy situation. It seems many people are eager to have an excuse to get their feathers ruffled and speculate about what forceful action they'd take to retaliate. It's the standard tough guy boast, "Man, if anyone tried that stuff of me, I'd ... "

It's best ignored.

That article looks like another online exercise in the expression of excessive machismo in a fantasy situation. It seems many people are eager to have an excuse to get their feathers ruffled and speculate about what forceful action they'd take to retaliate. It's the standard tough guy boast, "Man, if anyone tried that stuff of me, I'd ... "

It's best ignored.
Ok, but just wanted to show how people think it’s okay to do that kind of stuff.

Reactions: MS Coast
Ok, but just wanted to show how people think it’s okay to do that kind of stuff.
Yes, that was my point. I wasn't criticizing you for posting it at all.

Some folks like to talk tough and pretend to act tough, so they take something harmless and turn it into a make-believe threat that they can boast about defending against.

Reactions: -MavicMiniPilot

Some folks like to talk tough and pretend to act tough, so they take something harmless and turn it into a make-believe threat that they can boast about defending

Some folks like to talk tough and pretend to act tough, so they take something harmless and turn it into a make-believe threat that they can boast about defending against.
Agreed. :)

Theres a video on utube from Ken huron about a drone being shot down. The round went thru the batt. Drone recovered and police were involved but I didnt see a 2nd video about the outcome.

Thoughts?
Unfortunately for those in all of our community's who actually feel like any of these are viable options, ignorance will not be an acceptable excuse. The FAA sees the intentional downing of any aircraft (manned of not) as a felony. I have come across quite a few people that feel like it's their absolute right to shoot at any drone they see fly anywhere near their property. Not only is this dangerous, it's highly illegal. I however don't know exactly how to dispell the belief that any and all UAV's see somehow "spying" on on them. As we all know there are folks out there that are indeed using their UAV to invade the privacy of others among many other nefarious uses. However the vast majority of UAV flyers are not, and have never even entertained the idea. I only know of one person that had his drone shot out of the sky, and it shook him up to the point of quitting the hobby.

And yet people are totally comfortable with people walking around their neibourhood with cell phones taking pictures often with zoom lenses. My son in law has an iPhone 13 and can take quite good photos and videos from a couple of blocks away with good definition. This is acceptable yet a drone is not...duh!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d