DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crash - what did I do?

Personally, I prefer to check for magnetic interference independently of the Go4 App .... see my post #37 in this thread:

The problem with this approach is that it's unlikely to catch small geomagnetic distortions that are close to the magnetometers. E.g, the extent of the geomagnetic distortion caused by a screw in a wooden deck rail is typically only 1 or 2 inches.

Checking the AC heading against the indicated heading in the Go App is very robust. By definition you're looking at the data that determines if there is a compass problem. There have been several incidents where a compass problem was revealed by this method yet no other indication from the Go App.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wilbur and sar104
Most interesting post. I have an Air which I cannot switch to ATTI. Having spent my life reading check lists not only do I do pre take off checks but also after take off checks at about 6-10 feet. Turns, yaw satellite checks GPS checks and compass checks. If all that looks ok I Go.

Reactions: tleedom
I'm curious if this is operator error or something went wrong with the drone. As mentioned above, I don't believe I did
anything different on this flight. It literally got in the air and took off - the flight speeds show over 50 mph
Man that sucks, same thing happened to me in doors in a factory but lucky minor damage. But to this day I wonder if my camera and gimble are right.

My mistake was I took off and saw a magnetic warning as I first got up which can be easy to miss if you are not looking at the screen. But it went away and started to fly OK, I had GPS off, then it started to drift and flew in to a wall uncontrollable. I should have landed immediately. So I now watch the screen like a hawk for any errors until it’s stable.

I also had this issue trying to calibrate on concrete which must have rebar. Now I use a Tesla meter for my phone when in doubt or take off from the hand.

Last edited:
It can happen in any DJI drone if launched from a location with suitable magnetic interference.
Exactly EMF is what we call it and many times when we are filming a paranormal investigation and either put my Phantom 3 spark or mavic above to circle the location if there is enough conscious energy within the building you may call it Spirit or ghost it fills the air with electromagnetism and I can't even take off but says too much and I got it interference so we measure it in milligauss and it's reading is through the ceiling. if I get a lot of magnetic interference that the display is showing I'll leave that place alone for a few minutes it comes and goes I never got it in the air though usually it's right around the ground

Hi guys, does anybody have a link to the best thread regarding causes of magnetic interference? My Mavic Pro drifted and crashed into a tree last year near a waterfall where there was barely a breeze. Magnetic interference was something I suspected. Thanks!

There are two factors to consider.
The size of the steel object
The distance between the compass and the steel object.
A good sized steel screw at one inch has a bigger magnetic effect on the compass than 100000 tons of steel at this distance:
DJI_0523a-X2.jpg
APprecite the context. Thanks. What should be put into our ore floght or at launch checks to avoid this? Any advise appreciated.

Exactly EMF is what we call it and many times when we are filming a paranormal investigation and either put my Phantom 3 spark or mavic above to circle the location if there is enough conscious energy within the building you may call it Spirit or ghost it fills the air with electromagnetism and I can't even take off but says too much and I got it interference so we measure it in milligauss and it's reading is through the ceiling. if I get a lot of magnetic interference that the display is showing I'll leave that place alone for a few minutes it comes and goes I never got it in the air though usually it's right around the ground

I knew someone would finally figure it out.

I've flown my Mavic 2 a couple dozen times with no issue. Today, I took off and at about 20 ft - it just took off at full speed
circled out about 150 yards away...and get this - crashed into a headstone in a cemetery. Drone is toast. I hope I
attached the correct flight record. Hope someone can explain my misfortune. I'll assume operator error at this time
You are responsible for any damages to the headstone.

I gotta admit. I can't tell if this is a joke or not. April 1 is two days away.

I have noticed that I have to re-calibrate the Mavic 2 more often than any of my DJI drones. However, I get the "error magnetic interference calibrate compass" immediately after starting the drone. To the OP: one suggestion I can make is to make sure you always start the controller first, then the aircraft. If there is interference you are more likely to discover it before take off. Never take off "before" you hear "home point has been updated, please check it on the map". This assures that you have a good GPS lock. Have you contacted DJI? Hopefully, you'll be able to work out a discounted replacement or even get this one fixed. Please give updates.

I’m pretty sure than EMF and electromagnetism are caused by real world disturbances.

Reactions: Jeffm912
I have noticed that I have to re-calibrate the Mavic 2 more often than any of my DJI drones.
The M2 automatically asks for calibration if you're more than X away from where the last flight was done, or more than a month has passed since last calibration.

The M2 automatically asks for calibration if you're more than X away from where the last flight was done, or more than a month has passed since last calibration.

Where X = 50 km. Also note that not all M2s do this, for reasons I cannot explain.

After reading recent threads about the mag interference crashes here on the forum, I'm definitely noting to give this far more attention when setting up to fly.
Align drone north, and check on map, even if no warnings are given.

Am I right thinking this hasn't been a major issue with the MP, it seems to be more common now with the new range of Mavics ?
Wonder if there’s and affordable meter or such to check the mag interference? I carry an anemometer for wind speed...

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Wonder if there’s and affordable meter or such to check the mag interference? I carry an anemometer for wind speed...

Your phone has a magnetometer so you can use that with an appropriate app, but it's not as robust or easy a solution as simply checking the orientation of the aircraft orientation arrow on the DJI GO app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lschabert