Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Drone eating tree

allen.foster

Reaction score
You've heard of Charlie Brown's kite eating tree? But have you heard about Daufuski Island's drone eating trees? My family and I vacationed recently on Daufusky Island, SC - a short ferry ride from Hilton Head. Had a great stay on this historically interesting and lovely island. On our last day there I put the drone in active track and had it follow our golf cart as we wound through some beautiful scenery and spanish moss draped oak trees.
By the way, if your are going to crash into a tree, getting caught in spanish moss is a pretty gentle way to do it. The moss caught the mavic and held it as though in a spider's web. The drone never hit the tree or a branch. I was able to gently release the drone from the moss. It survived with no damage and I was able to fly it again immediately. The drone god's were taking care of me apparently.
You can watch the video of my wife and I being followed by the drone. If you wish to get to the crash you can advance the video to 1:30.
I regret that I didn't get a photo of the drone dangling helplessly from the spanish moss, but I was eager to get it down and powered off for a check-up.

Last edited:

BuzzyOne

Reaction score
You've discovered the limitations in sensor resolution. The Mavic can't see fine details like branches, wires, moss, etc. That's a risky place to fly!

Bernie707

Reaction score
You've got more guts than me flying with trees that close! Glad it turned out okay.

Reactions: steve6009

kidroc

Reaction score
Holy crap that was a butt puckering video lol......

Tymavic

Reaction score
This means my fear of branches isn't irrational.

CamoGreg

Reaction score
It was risky with all those trees !!

SRJ_Mavic_PRO

Reaction score
You've heard of Charlie Brown's kite eating tree? But have you heard about Daufuski Island's drone eating trees? My family and I vacationed recently on Daufusky Island, SC - a short ferry right from Hilton Head. Had a great stay on this historically interesting and lovely island. On our last night there I put the drone in active track and had it follow our golf cart as we wound through some beautiful scenery and spanish moss draped oak trees.
By the way, if your are going to crash into a tree, getting caught in spanish moss is a pretty gentle way to do it. The moss caught the mavic and held it as though in a spider's web. I was able to gently release the drone from the moss. It survived with no damage and I was able to fly it again immediately. The drone god's were taking care of me apparently.
You can watch the video of my wife and I being followed by the drone. If you wish to get to the crash you can advance the video to 1:30.
I regret that I didn't get a photo of the drone dangling helplessly from the spanish moss, but I was eager to get it down and powered off for a check-up.
Love the change in the music towards the end!! Nice!

dewster

Reaction score
Nice video! I liked it. If the lighting conditions were better I think that the Mavic would have detected the tree.

allen.foster

Reaction score
You've discovered the limitations in sensor resolution. The Mavic can't see fine details like branches, wires, moss, etc. That's a risky place to fly!
I know that now o_O
Actually the drone was doing fine as we were driving very slowly and trying to be cognizant of the fact that it wouldn't make curvy turns like we were doing in the cart. But I hadn't considered the moss. Not sure if I would do it again.
Your point is spot on though, thanks!

All E RC Mavic Drones

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henry774