DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

allen.foster

Reactions
You've heard of Charlie Brown's kite eating tree? But have you heard about Daufuski Island's drone eating trees? My family and I vacationed recently on Daufusky Island, SC - a short ferry ride from Hilton Head. Had a great stay on this historically interesting and lovely island. On our last day there I put the drone in active track and had it follow our golf cart as we wound through some beautiful scenery and spanish moss draped oak trees.
By the way, if your are going to crash into a tree, getting caught in spanish moss is a pretty gentle way to do it. The moss caught the mavic and held it as though in a spider's web. The drone never hit the tree or a branch. I was able to gently release the drone from the moss. It survived with no damage and I was able to fly it again immediately. The drone god's were taking care of me apparently.
You can watch the video of my wife and I being followed by the drone. If you wish to get to the crash you can advance the video to 1:30.
I regret that I didn't get a photo of the drone dangling helplessly from the spanish moss, but I was eager to get it down and powered off for a check-up.

Last edited:
You've discovered the limitations in sensor resolution. The Mavic can't see fine details like branches, wires, moss, etc. That's a risky place to fly!

You've heard of Charlie Brown's kite eating tree? But have you heard about Daufuski Island's drone eating trees? My family and I vacationed recently on Daufusky Island, SC - a short ferry right from Hilton Head. Had a great stay on this historically interesting and lovely island. On our last night there I put the drone in active track and had it follow our golf cart as we wound through some beautiful scenery and spanish moss draped oak trees.
By the way, if your are going to crash into a tree, getting caught in spanish moss is a pretty gentle way to do it. The moss caught the mavic and held it as though in a spider's web. I was able to gently release the drone from the moss. It survived with no damage and I was able to fly it again immediately. The drone god's were taking care of me apparently.
You can watch the video of my wife and I being followed by the drone. If you wish to get to the crash you can advance the video to 1:30.
I regret that I didn't get a photo of the drone dangling helplessly from the spanish moss, but I was eager to get it down and powered off for a check-up.

Love the change in the music towards the end!! Nice!

Nice video! I liked it. If the lighting conditions were better I think that the Mavic would have detected the tree.

You've discovered the limitations in sensor resolution. The Mavic can't see fine details like branches, wires, moss, etc. That's a risky place to fly!
I know that now o_O
Actually the drone was doing fine as we were driving very slowly and trying to be cognizant of the fact that it wouldn't make curvy turns like we were doing in the cart. But I hadn't considered the moss. Not sure if I would do it again.
Your point is spot on though, thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo