DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Etiquette at Sea?

Walleye Hunter

Reactions
I will be going fishing in AK's inner passage soon and expect to see some large ships out there. If I see one of particular interest, i e Time Bandit, Southwestern, Saga, etc, I will want to take a good look at it. Is there a standard of any type, written or unwritten, as to how close I should or shouldn't get? I'm also looking for tips on what to do and not do if anyone has any. Of course, other than keep it above the water line, I'm already aware of that one.

Reactions: James in the Desert
Use a Mavic 3 Pro and you won't have to worry about that. :)

For sure I have also often wondered what is proper when I see cruise ships leaving that are getting swarmed with drones. Same thing with trains. Certainly the drone is not a distraction to the driver and will not do physical harm but like some drone flyers, I believe you are probably thinking what doesn't come off as disrespectful or disruptive. Unlike with a car on the highway (where it seems always problematic), I think there is a time element involved where you can go over and take a good look up close and then retreat; I would think that shows your intent to be less intrusive.

The rules regarding flying over moving vechiles and people would certainly apply. But as mentioned, there may be other regulations you might investigate.

Etiquette​

This is something that is very important and in some ways much more important than the Rules.

Years ago , I saw a video of some rock climbers and soneone thought it would be a good idea to send the drone over to get a closer look at the Climber. The Climber got caught by surprise , lost his attention for a second and slipped .

The lesson I learned was that drones can in an instant takes someones focus away from what they're doing , and in many cases cause alarm, concern and loss of focus so be aware to not be the star of the show.

With that said , fly as close as you want to the ships , but give the Minds of those on board there privacy when you see them to not cause the awkards moments we so often see with the waving of hands . Thats no good.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the water

Ask the target ships' masters. I assume you will have marine radio.
This thought was in mind as well. There are radios but I am not sure of their capabilities, I'll dig into that a little more. My preliminary research reveals that they use channel 16 as a haling channel then switch to another one to talk on. First I thought that they might use HAM radios but it's not looking that way.

This thought was in mind as well. There are radios but I am not sure of their capabilities, I'll dig into that a little more. My preliminary research reveals that they use channel 16 as a haling channel then switch to another one to talk on. First I thought that they might use HAM radios but it's not looking that way.
They'll be monitoring VHF channel 16. If you can see the ship, you can almost certainly reach it with the most basic marine VHF set. They'll suggest a channel to continue the conversation, probably 68, 69, 71, 72, or 78A.

I will be going fishing in AK's inner passage soon and expect to see some large ships out there. If I see one of particular interest, i e Time Bandit, Southwestern, Saga, etc, I will want to take a good look at it.
The boats you mention work over 1000 miles west of the Inside Passage.
You won't be seeing them.

Reactions: bitsbytes
What if they're transitioning from the fishing grounds to their home in Juneau, Ketchikan, Seattle, etc?

What if they're transitioning from the fishing grounds to their home in Juneau, Ketchikan, Seattle, etc?

It would be neat to see something from the TV fleet.

Might get lucky and the production team will have their drones up and flying in the harbor getting B roll footage. 👍

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
I was thinking more about this and recall a response from a guide at the expo when I asked if we'd go halibut fishing on the Time Bandit...he replied that they'd be salmon tendering that time of year and it looks like there is a cannery in Excursion Inlet, near where the camp is. The Alaska Marine Highway comes through the middle of the fishing area so I do expect to see some large ships on the water. At least a cruise ship or two.

I was thinking more about this and recall a response from a guide at the expo when I asked if we'd go halibut fishing on the Time Bandit...he replied that they'd be salmon tendering that time of year and it looks like there is a cannery in Excursion Inlet, near where the camp is. The Alaska Marine Highway comes through the middle of the fishing area so I do expect to see some large ships on the water. At least a cruise ship or two.
You can see the exact position of most ships actually. Makes it much easier than guessing/hoping.
For example: MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic - Time Bandit

On mobile you can use a variety of apps to monitor them. -MarineTraffic, FindShip and VesselFinder.

You can see the exact position of most ships actually. Makes it much easier than guessing/hoping.
For example: MarineTraffic: Global Ship Tracking Intelligence | AIS Marine Traffic - Time Bandit

On mobile you can use a variety of apps to monitor them. -MarineTraffic, FindShip and VesselFinder.
I have looked at that and find it pretty interesting. It gives pretty good details like how long they were in port and all. When I'm up there, I'll be lucky if I can send a text or make a phone call, internet will be out of the question.

As a fisherman you know that noise is not your friend. I don't think anyone is going to appreciate your drone except yourself. If its a sightseeing boat or ship, which is the most common type you're going to see, I would fly around it at a respectable distance.
A drone should be a great fish spotter though. Many times as a flight instructor flying off the coast of Los Angeles near Palos Verdes I would see groups of fishing boats fishing within a half mile or so of a giant school fish.

I will be going fishing in AK's inner passage soon and expect to see some large ships out there. If I see one of particular interest, i e Time Bandit, Southwestern, Saga, etc, I will want to take a good look at it. Is there a standard of any type, written or unwritten, as to how close I should or shouldn't get? I'm also looking for tips on what to do and not do if anyone has any. Of course, other than keep it above the water line, I'm already aware of that one.
I don’t get close enough for them to worry about me and the only way that they’ll see me is only if they’re really looking for me!

They'll be monitoring VHF channel 16. If you can see the ship, you can almost certainly reach it with the most basic marine VHF set. They'll suggest a channel to continue the conversation, probably 68, 69, 71, 72, or 78A.
Double check the use of Channel 16. As I understand it that channel is used for Emergency Calls i.e. May Day, SOS and a shouldn't be used otherwise. Perhaps someone else in the forum knows better?

Double check the use of Channel 16. As I understand it that channel is used for Emergency Calls i.e. May Day, SOS and a shouldn't be used otherwise. Perhaps someone else in the forum knows better?
I do think you are right but I have seen elsewhere that it is also used as a hail channel.

Reactions: cameracamel

16 - "International Distress, Safety and Calling."

Channel 9 has been designated for recreational use, but 16 remains the channel for hailing another vessel as well as emergencies.

"The Federal Communications Commission established VHF-FM channel 9 as a supplementary calling channel for noncommercial vessels (recreational boaters) at the request of the Coast Guard. A ship or shore unit wishing to call a boater would do so on channel 9, and anyone (boaters included) wishing to call a commercial ship or shore activity would continue to do so on channel 16. Recreational boaters would continue to call the Coast Guard and any commercial facility on channel 16."

16 - "International Distress, Safety and Calling."

Channel 9 has been designated for recreational use, but 16 remains the channel for hailing another vessel as well as emergencies.

"The Federal Communications Commission established VHF-FM channel 9 as a supplementary calling channel for noncommercial vessels (recreational boaters) at the request of the Coast Guard. A ship or shore unit wishing to call a boater would do so on channel 9, and anyone (boaters included) wishing to call a commercial ship or shore activity would continue to do so on channel 16. Recreational boaters would continue to call the Coast Guard and any commercial facility on channel 16."
And on citizens band (CB), channel 9 was the emergency channel the last I heard. We can't have consistency on such things 'round here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne