DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone etiquette evolving like chat programs / texting did

IcySparks

Reactions
Those of us who are old enough to remember the free AOL dialup floppy disks followed by free Juno dial up may recall how IRC and chat etiquette evolved.

Over the years working on PCs we began to understand that a blinking item on your taskbar should be the second priority to the task at hand. You would, when you were ready to break from your first task, open or resume a dialog with someone in a chat. Well, at least that's how I rolled.

I feel we are in a time that many people don't know what to think of our hobby drones. There is no well-understood etiquette defined yet.

I wish I had some way to tell the stranger in the park walking her dog "Hey, I'm James, a normal person just like you over here on the other side of the park.
I'm controlling my remote controlled aircraft 20 yards from you and if you're concerned or have a problem please engage me in a conversation as I mean no disrespect. I'd even be happy to share a photo of you and your handsome German Shepard.

Wondering if one day, when people see a drone they would just wave and smile, the drone would wave back, and the drone could say "very nice to meet you! I belong to James who is right over there" (drone points, winks and flys away).

#sillydronedaydreams

Reactions: Phil_r and kiteboy
I've been very fortunate as I've only experienced positive and curious onlookers. However, last year I witnessed a drone operator make horrible flying choices on a crowded beach (flying low and fast and eradic) which certainly gave me pause. I think ease of accessibility and a lowering price point will increase the number of dunderheads out there and the related negative public opinion. It's unfortunately more than just etiquette, it's old fashioned laws. Personally, I will continue to keep my drones too far away from individuals for chats. :eek:)

Reactions: djorgen
I've been very fortunate as I've only experienced positive and curious onlookers. However, last year I witnessed a drone operator make horrible flying choices on a crowded beach (flying low and fast and eradic) which certainly gave me pause. I think ease of accessibility and a lowering price point will increase the number of dunderheads out there and the related negative public opinion. It's unfortunately more than just etiquette, it's old fashioned laws. Personally, I will continue to keep my drones too far away from individuals for chats. :eek:)
I had similar experiences when I used to ride my track bike on the streets.

Other's poor choices do make it worse for people who follow most of the rules.

I'll be honest, I did speed here and there. yes, I've done a few acceleration wheelies, but I don't do 150+ down busy highways, or 90 through residential, or ride a balanced wheelie between cars in traffic. Thankfully that temptation is no longer a problem as the CBR is a track only bike now and my street bike is a VStar1300 cruiser.
I won't be buzzing stadiums, beaches, or anyplace where I could cut or blind some poor spectator with my DJI Ginsu blades.

This is from yesterday's flight - I found a small wooden deck along a ridge line trail. Even though I had been there alone for 15 minutes, even though I did not need a protective landing zone, I set this bright (H) landing zone onto the wooden deck anyway.

Sure enough, 15 minutes after I started flying, an elderly couple wandered up the trail. They immediately figured out the situation on their own, and we pleasantly talked about the drone as they watched. When I returned home, I took it nice and slow and they retreated without a comment to the staircase. The old lady clapped when I set the drone down on the landing circle.

LGnyQaL.jpg

I was happy that all I've come across are nice, interested people who haven't been outwardly complaining about the nuisance or danger a drone makes in their lives. That said, I will keep putting out a helipad even when I don't technically need one. I think it helped these passers-by (and others on the next flight) recognize the situation and appreciate I was being quiet and peacefully enjoying the mountain just like they were.

Never going to happen..... The thing about a drone CAMERA, is it is a EYE in the sky.... (example) if someone is in their fenced backyard, and look up and there is a drone!!
Then you get the careless guy/gal that does obnoxious things with their drones, like flying too low above people.
What about folks that live in big cities skyscrapers , it is only a matter of time before we hear about peeping-drones.
Right now, some people are interested in them...... Last year I had people come up to me and ask questions.
As these high quality sky-cams get cheaper, the more people are probably going to dislike them.

Reactions: kiteboy
I had similar experiences when I used to ride my track bike on the streets.

Other's poor choices do make it worse for people who follow most of the rules.

I'll be honest, I did speed here and there. yes, I've done a few acceleration wheelies, but I don't do 150+ down busy highways, or 90 through residential, or ride a balanced wheelie between cars in traffic. Thankfully that temptation is no longer a problem as the CBR is a track only bike now and my street bike is a VStar1300 cruiser.
I won't be buzzing stadiums, beaches, or anyplace where I could cut or blind some poor spectator with my DJI Ginsu blades.
Haha. Exactly. My street bike is an HP4 BTW so I totally understand what you are saying.

I also try my best to be a responsible drone operator, don't hover over others property, don't buzz people, and when I do have to overfly a house do it at 100'+. But there is always those, either with the 'ME' attitude or those who simply go thru life clueless who will be a negative influence on our hobby. Every activity has those types of participants, we have been driving cars for 100 years, and still have the 'Idiots' who just don't get it. It is the same here, you will have the majority of Pilots who are responsible, and the -1% who, for whatever reason they rationalize it, will give us a bad rep by doing dangerous and/or stupid things, all with the attitude that 'I can do what I want because I'm special' As a retired LEO I have seen it a million times, and it does get old.

Reactions: IcySparks and Sjez
Reminds me more of when Cell phones starting having cameras in them. "Who needs a camera on their phone? Now you can sneak pictures of me any time you want. Crazy lunatic!!!!"

Warp to current day, and "What do you mean you don't have a camera on your phone LOLZZZZZZ"

Give it 20 years, it's going to be like "Dude, where the hell is your drone? Why is it not above you watching your back? I wouldn't go anywhere without my drone. Crazy lunatic!!!!"

Never going to happen..... The thing about a drone CAMERA, is it is a EYE in the sky.... (example) if someone is in their fenced backyard, and look up and there is a drone!!
Then you get the careless guy/gal that does obnoxious things with their drones, like flying too low above people.
What about folks that live in big cities skyscrapers , it is only a matter of time before we hear about peeping-drones.
Right now, some people are interested in them...... Last year I had people come up to me and ask questions.
As these high quality sky-cams get cheaper, the more people are probably going to dislike them.
Yes..the eye in the sky. An acquaintance of mine.. is quite negative towards them. He threatens to knock them out of the sky if they go over his property. Now this is coming from a guy who is highly educated. I don't ever expect he would, but he sees them as a threat to his personal privacy. He wouldn't be alone in that thinking. I suspect that there are pilots who are too self centred to follow rules and just be respectful of others. Sadly, they may well end up spoiling it for those of us who do the right thing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using MavicPilots mobile app

It would be cool if one day people could submit their property to the mapping software that DJI uses saying "do not fly under 100' above ground on my property.

It would be like a do not call registry but a do not fly here for drones with cameras.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palaiouras