DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone fishing - good or bad idea?

NZAir2S

Reactions
I fly drones for photography. But I recently used my spare drone - a Mavic Air - to deliver fishing bait over the water. I was careful not to attach any loads heavier than the recommended 200g. It was a successful day. But the one thing I did notice was a rapid depletion of battery power. (Battery performance dropped by about 50%.) So I'm tempted to use my newer drone - the Air 2S - on my next fishing outing. I realize neither of these drones is designed specifically for fishing. But the Air 2S can apparently carry up to 500g, and my bait will be well under that limit. So here's my question: is it a bad idea to use the Air and the 2S for fishing? With the 2S in particular, will I risk damaging or shortening the life of the drone - and its batteries?

Interesting - this is the first time I have heard a specific example of using a drone for fishing. Sorry I can't help with the load issue on an Air 2S.

The State of Oregon has a series of Marine Reserves that extend out from the coast with a set of rules for protecting marine resources. I read through all of them looking for references that might restrict drone flights but the only mention of drones in all of the rules was to say that fishing with drones was specifically illegal. I had no idea how you could be fishing with a drone until your thread. I had a (ridiculous) mental image of someone dropping a line with a lure on it trolling their way back to shore after shooting videos :cool:

Reactions: PhilJenkins
I fly drones for photography. But I recently used my spare drone - a Mavic Air - to deliver fishing bait over the water. I was careful not to attach any loads heavier than the recommended 200g. It was a successful day. But the one thing I did notice was a rapid depletion of battery power. (Battery performance dropped by about 50%.) So I'm tempted to use my newer drone - the Air 2S - on my next fishing outing. I realise neither of these drones is designed specifically for fishing. But the Air 2S can apparently carry up to 500g, and my bait will be well under that limit. So here's my question: is it a bad idea to use the Air and the 2S for fishing? With the 2S in particular, will I risk damaging or shortening the life of the drone - and its batteries?
So, what happens if you catch a really big strong fish?

Interesting - this is the first time I have heard a specific example of using a drone for fishing. Sorry I can't help with the load issue on an Air 2S.

The State of Oregon has a series of Marine Reserves that extend out from the coast with a set of rules for protecting marine resources. I read through all of them looking for references that might restrict drone flights but the only mention of drones in all of the rules was to say that fishing with drones was specifically illegal. I had no idea how you could be fishing with a drone until your thread. I had a (ridiculous) mental image of someone dropping a line with a lure on it trolling their way back to shore after shooting videos :cool:
I'm not actually a fisher myself. But my daughter and son in law are right into it. So I joined them on their latest trip. We were at a local beach. I'm pleased to report here in New Zealand there are no restrictions on using a drone for fishing. Drone fishing is very well established. Most drone owners use mechanical release devices. Gannet Sport

I'm not actually a fisher myself. But my daughter and son in law are right into it. So I joined them on their latest trip. We were at a local beach. I'm pleased to report here in New Zealand there are no restrictions on using a drone for fishing. Drone fishing is very well established. Most drone owners use mechanical release devices. Gannet Sport
Very interesting - I feel enlightened to uses for drones I was unaware of. Thanks for the additional info.

I think one should expect more "wear and tear" on drone motors when lifting extra weight. Propellers will need to rotate at higher speed. Extra "bending" force will be on propellers as they need to lift more. Battery current will be higher.
You could upload fight txt data to AirData and check the battery use after each flight to see how it compares to regular flight. Does higher current draw risk more difference in battery cells.

Reactions: NG Wildman
We reel it in with the rod, using our really big strong arms. (The drone is simply used to carry the bait and drop it over the water.)
Okay, my bad. 🤪
But North Carolina already bans it.
(b) It shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor for any person to fish or to hunt using an unmanned aircraft system.

Reactions: @Rip
Yes I don't doubt the quality of the payload release systems. I'm wondering whether using them will reduce the life of my drone by making the motors and batteries work harder by carrying a load.

I've never seen one review of long term affects of doing this. I would think that as long as the motors aren't over heating that it would not deteriorate the life of them more than normal use without a load. Sure they work harder but work less time.

I've never seen one review of long term affects of doing this. I would think that as long as the motors aren't over heating that it would not deteriorate the life of them more than normal use without a load. Sure they work harder but work less time.
Good point. As you say, they will be working harder, but time in the air is quite brief (we were aiming for 350 -400 metres off-shore)

I fly drones for photography. But I recently used my spare drone - a Mavic Air - to deliver fishing bait over the water. I was careful not to attach any loads heavier than the recommended 200g. It was a successful day. But the one thing I did notice was a rapid depletion of battery power. (Battery performance dropped by about 50%.) So I'm tempted to use my newer drone - the Air 2S - on my next fishing outing. I realize neither of these drones is designed specifically for fishing. But the Air 2S can apparently carry up to 500g, and my bait will be well under that limit. So here's my question: is it a bad idea to use the Air and the 2S for fishing? With the 2S in particular, will I risk damaging or shortening the life of the drone - and its batteries?
I would think no.

Reactions: hiflyer201
So, what happens if you catch a really big strong fish?

Drone fishing is not for actually catching the fish :)

Drone fishing refers to just taking out a bait, and dropping it where you want . . . specifically a target like a 'gutter' where the fish are, or way beyond the surf breakers, or other such longer distance than can't be casted from shore.

It isn't something to take on fast, as you need to learn how the drone will react with any winds commonly found seaside, the extra drag on the drone from both line out weight, and wind effect on the line.
Many use braid line to reduce both of those considerations.

You can get bait releases like the Gannet, or many just jury rig a bracket on a leg to fly out straight slow and steady, then tilt forward fast to release the line, or backing up can be an option going slow, and depending how you make the release method.

I would look for an older Mavic Pro kit, there's quite a few come up now and then, they are perhaps the best ever fishing drone, awesome in wind, and considering the low price for a good 2nd hand kit, you won't be risking as much as your Air 2S.
A M2P or Z would be an option nowadays too.

edit typo

Last edited:
SplashDrone is a waterproof drone made for this. There are other waterproof drones as well. They are used to carry a baited line out further than you could cast. These drones will float if they go down over water.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Drone fishing is not for actually catching the fish :)

Drone fishing refers to just taking out a bait, and dropping it where you want . . . specifically a target like a 'gutter' where the fish are, or way beyond the surf breakers, or other such longer distance than can't be casted from shore.

It isn't something to take on fast, as you need to learn how the drone will react with any winds commonly found seaside, the extra drag on the drone from both line out weight, and wind effect on the line.
Many use braid line to reduce both of those considerations.

You can get bait releases like the Gannet, or many just jury rig a bracket on a leg to fly out straight slow and steady, then tilt forward fast to release the line, or backing up can be an option going slow, and depending how you make the release method.

I would look for an older Mavic Pro kit, there's quite a few come up now and then, they are perhaps the best ever fishing drone, awesome in wind, and considering the low price for a good 2nd hand kit, you won't be risking as much as your Air 2S.
A M2P or Z would be an option nowadays too.

edit typo
Yep, I figured that out. I could have deleted my post but if you can't laugh at yourself now and again, what good are you? 🤪

I tried it over a park lawn to see if it would work. I put a clip on the bottom with my fishing line attached and a sinker below so the bait would dangle below the drone. And that part worked. Then I figured I would simply keep the line taught until it got out there a ways, simple jerk the line loose from the clip and the line would drop straight down. The problem I got into was keeping the line taught while still moving the drone away. The drone struggled so when I released some of the pressure on the line, it started to go up into the drone. I suddenly had visions of the line getting wound up in the props. I pulled the line loose. It dropped down and I just forgot about it. If you find a good way to do it, please let me know.

Be warned.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.21.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 10.21.22 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 31
  • Haha
Reactions: Beet
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads