DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone flips over

Infotraker

Reactions
Recently flew the air at eagle lake ca. With leg extenders on as usual.
Previous flights with extenders went fine. At the lake on shore on landing pad the drone upon takeoff flipped over on its side. Took extenders off any no more problems. Did this flip over three times then Took them off.
All ok. Anyone have this problem ?

Which leg extenders are you using?

If the terrain isn’t flat, and a gust comes along, the top-heavy UAS can flip over. I had that happen on a Phantom Vision. The prop chewed up some grass and stalled the motor, burning out a circuit board.

That’s why I catch the Mavic by hovering it just above eve level and grapping the leg extender with my hand which is safely below the spinning prop. I throttle back with the other hand until the motors stop. Very easy and if grabbed like this, totally safe!CA2321DF-A795-426B-831C-FD4E4CDA4C0B.jpeg

I have not been having a problem with the leg extenders of the MV on my end BUT I have not use those for 5 months now. I have learned to hand take off the drone and hand catch it.

Reactions: dawgpilot
If the terrain isn’t flat, and a gust comes along, the top-heavy UAS can flip over. I had that happen on a Phantom Vision. The prop chewed up some grass and stalled the motor, burning out a circuit board.

That’s why I catch the Mavic by hovering it just above eve level and grapping the leg extender with my hand which is safely below the spinning prop. I throttle back with the other hand until the motors stop. Very easy and if grabbed like this, totally safe!View attachment 78957

Doesn't grabbing by only 1 arm like that put a lot of stress on the drone's arm?

I flew with extenders in about 6 times with no
Problems and then a flip over on takeoff. Will try again flying at home this week.

Very strange. I fly my Mavic Air with extensions all the time, and have never had a problem.

The only time I had a drone flip on takeoff was an old Syma...turns out that it had a couple of props switched...

Been flying for more than 2 years (from landing pad) with leg extenders and have never had a problem. Do you have the extenders pushed all the way on? They might be a bit long if not fully pushed onto the existing leg(s). Just a thought.

That’s why I catch the Mavic by hovering it just above eve level and grapping the leg extender with my hand which is safely below the spinning prop. I throttle back with the other hand until the motors stop. Very easy and if grabbed like this, totally safe!View attachment 78957
that's a VERY strange looking Mavic Air! :p

Doesn't grabbing by only 1 arm like that put a lot of stress on the drone's arm?
When I grab the leg extender, the UAS is still under power, so so torsional stress on the arm. When I throttle back and the motors stop, I allow the drone to flop over, so there is no stress on the arm DD093A11-E167-459D-93D4-93B904778D35.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom