DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone insurance consequences

Wersh

Reactions
So I didn’t want to ask Farmers yet, but if our drones are insured and we hit some or something what is covered? i believe mine is going under home owners or personal property. I wasn’t too awake for the conversation. But you strike a neighbors window? Clip someone’s paint in a car?

I keep reading that they are happy to pay out on a drone claim generally, and then raise your rates through the roof afterwards.

Reactions: Wersh
GENERALLY, in the USA:

Let's say you crash your drone into your neighbor Peter's window and the drone goes through the window (free fall because the battery died). The window is broken and the drone is broken. Not only that, the drone hits Peter in the arm and he is bleeding a lot and has to go to the Emergency Room. What happens now?

1. PETER: He is really pissed.

2. LIABILITY: Your homeowners/renters policy includes a $100,000 personal liability protection (you can increase this amount to $300,000 for about $25/year in premium). This will protect you from liabilities resulting from damages that you cause with your drone. So your policy will pay to replace the window as well as pay for Peter's medical bills, up to your policy limit.

3. DRONE: If you have the standard homeowners policy, you get no coverage for your drone. You just need to buy a new drone. If you want coverage for your drone for things like this, you will need a Scheduled Property Endorsement (almost every policy has this option) or to get a separate Personal Articles Policy (like the one from State Farm or many other companies). Homeowners policy provides coverage for only specific perils whereas the Scheduled Endorsement or the PAP provides coverage from ALL perils unless specifically excluded.

Qualification: I was a full time insurance agent for 3 years and a part time financial advisor focusing on insurance for 3 years. I've seen hundreds of claims denied because people thought they were covered by something that they were not, including dozens of times when the agent told the insured that they would be covered. ALWAYS GET THINGS IN WRITING!

Reactions: Wersh
GENERALLY, in the USA:

Let's say you crash your drone into your neighbor Peter's window and the drone goes through the window (free fall because the battery died). The window is broken and the drone is broken. Not only that, the drone hits Peter in the arm and he is bleeding a lot and has to go to the Emergency Room. What happens now?

1. PETER: He is really pissed.

2. LIABILITY: Your homeowners/renters policy includes a $100,000 personal liability protection (you can increase this amount to $300,000 for about $25/year in premium). This will protect you from liabilities resulting from damages that you cause with your drone. So your policy will pay to replace the window as well as pay for Peter's medical bills, up to your policy limit.

3. DRONE: If you have the standard homeowners policy, you get no coverage for your drone. You just need to buy a new drone. If you want coverage for your drone for things like this, you will need a Scheduled Property Endorsement (almost every policy has this option) or to get a separate Personal Articles Policy (like the one from State Farm or many other companies). Homeowners policy provides coverage for only specific perils whereas the Scheduled Endorsement or the PAP provides coverage from ALL perils unless specifically excluded.

Qualification: I was a full time insurance agent for 3 years and a part time financial advisor focusing on insurance for 3 years. I've seen hundreds of claims denied because people thought they were covered by something that they were not, including dozens of times when the agent told the insured that they would be covered. ALWAYS GET THINGS IN WRITING!

DO NOT assume you homeowner's liability insurance will cover any liability claim from an accident. MANY no longer do that. This has changed dramatically in just the last 12 months. My underwriter now does not cover drones which it did one year ago on the basis it was a "model aircraft". Another good reason to join the AMA.

Reactions: namja
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada