DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Naming Contest!

Chaosrider

Reactions
I got the Mini SE all set-up and activated today, and did a short, timid test flight. Not because I was worried about the SE itself, but because the wind was starting to pick up far worse, far earlier than predicted, and I didn't want to poke the bear. No problems, and all is well in Mini-ville.

Film over the weekend!

Since they're both airworthy now, both the Mini-1 and the Mini-SE need names.

Most first thought for the Mini-1 was "Reliant", since it had changed owners. But then, that would put me in the role of Kahn, and since both Kahn and Reliant got munched at the end, I rejected that thought.

I would like some name for the Mini-1 that reflects a status change, but that's optional. I'd prefer something in the Star Trek universe for both of them. I'm considering "Voyager" for the SE, since it's newer and less capable than Enterprise, but that's just a first thought.

Suggestions appreciated! If your suggestion is accepted for either one, you will win a Wonderful Prize...

;-)

Thx,

MM

• Haha
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
You have two minis. How about Mini MouSE and Mini Me.
5248476170_8eb557d5e2_c.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dirkclod
I got the Mini SE all set-up and activated today, and did a short, timid test flight. Not because I was worried about the SE itself, but because the wind was starting to pick up far worse, far earlier than predicted, and I didn't want to poke the bear. No problems, and all is well in Mini-ville.

Film over the weekend!

Since they're both airworthy now, both the Mini-1 and the Mini-SE need names.

Most first thought for the Mini-1 was "Reliant", since it had changed owners. But then, that would put me in the role of Kahn, and since both Kahn and Reliant got munched at the end, I rejected that thought.

I would like some name for the Mini-1 that reflects a status change, but that's optional. I'd prefer something in the Star Trek universe for both of them. I'm considering "Voyager" for the SE, since it's newer and less capable than Enterprise, but that's just a first thought.

Suggestions appreciated! If your suggestion is accepted for either one, you will win a Wonderful Prize...

;-)

Thx,

MM
Don’t know why but seven o nine is my favourite character

Reactions: Tufargon
I would start here: Star Trek . . . lots of cool names here.

Reactions: Chaosrider
One of the things I suggest all Drone Flyers do is put a small ribbon or such on their gimbal cover as a reminder to remove it… When I first put a one on my Mini 2, it looked more like a tag and my wife remarked, "I see you've settled on a name for the Drone…," I said, "What?, and she said that gimbal cover is like a little hat on the Drone, and a tag on a hat means you've named it, "Mini Pearl" (after the female comedienne who wore a hat with the sales tag still hanging from it…). So, from that day on, my Mini 2 was a "she" named Mini Pearl…

That lasted until I put Pearl into a tree, over a seldom used dirt road. Unfortunately, she fell from the tree as just before a service truck came down the road. The beige drone, lying on her back was darn near the same color as the dusty, dirt road, and she got run over.

I replaced Mini Pearl under the DJI Care Refresh Express and when the new Drone arrived, my wife was holding the new Drone and fired it up. As my wife looked at the drone, belly up, she watched it start its self-test and as the Gimbal moved around, she said it's like a new born kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time. My Wife then said, "His name is Edward."

I'm not going to argue with her and Edward joined our household; along with Esmeralda (her '85 Toyota), Eugene (her 2020 Honda Fit), Ralph (my '01 Dodge Ram), You-2-Bad (my 2019 Toyota), Oscar (our stove), Jessica (the washer/dryer), and so many more named "members" of our household…

However, the story does not end there. Edward developed a problem (ESC Error Code 30080) and DJI said to return it under warranty, I did and at this very moment, my new, replacement Drone is somewhere between Fort Worth, TX and Virginia.

So, I'm going to be watching this topic closely. I've read so many Dear Abby columns where a family member swipes the name from a soon to be born baby. I remember one young couple announced the sex of their yet-to-be-born baby boy and said they were going to name it "Samuel" after a favorite departed uncle. As the story goes, the expectant mother's sister and her boyfriend got a puppy and named the puppy Samuel. Now the expectant mother hates her sister because she absconded with the name and feels everyone will think the baby boy is named after the dog…

So, as soon as you decide on a name, please announce it for all the world to know and rejoice… Then anything left over is free and open…

BTW, I'm not looking for Skippy, or Songbird, or Thor, or Zeus, or anything so equivocal or univocal, or omnipotent. I want the new Drone to have a chance and not get picked on by the "mean Drones…".

name.png

Well to support the Droid/Drone joke R2D2 or C3PO.

The SSID on my home WAP is "Borg Collective"

Some Halloween, I'm waiting for a person in a Borg outfit to come to my door and want to rejoin the Collective.

You have two minis. How about Mini MouSE and Mini Me.
View attachment 146464
I'd prefer to keep the names in the Star Trek universe, but on reflection, names from Stargate or Star Wars would be OK. I'm currently thinking "Atlantis" for the Mini-1, since Atlantis certainly had an ownership transfer, and all it really needed to be operational again was freshly charged batteries!

;-)

TCS

Don’t know why but seven o nine is my favourite character
Oh, I certainly know why...

;-)

Great looking and heavily robotic...I can see 7 of 9 as a good name for the SE.

Just 7 to her friends, of course...

I like it!

:)

TCS

One of the things I suggest all Drone Flyers do is put a small ribbon or such on their gimbal cover as a reminder to remove it… When I first put a one on my Mini 2, it looked more like a tag and my wife remarked, "I see you've settled on a name for the Drone…," I said, "What?, and she said that gimbal cover is like a little hat on the Drone, and a tag on a hat means you've named it, "Mini Pearl" (after the female comedienne who wore a hat with the sales tag still hanging from it…). So, from that day on, my Mini 2 was a "she" named Mini Pearl…

That lasted until I put Pearl into a tree, over a seldom used dirt road. Unfortunately, she fell from the tree as just before a service truck came down the road. The beige drone, lying on her back was darn near the same color as the dusty, dirt road, and she got run over.

I replaced Mini Pearl under the DJI Care Refresh Express and when the new Drone arrived, my wife was holding the new Drone and fired it up. As my wife looked at the drone, belly up, she watched it start its self-test and as the Gimbal moved around, she said it's like a new born kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time. My Wife then said, "His name is Edward."

I'm not going to argue with her and Edward joined our household; along with Esmeralda (her '85 Toyota), Eugene (her 2020 Honda Fit), Ralph (my '01 Dodge Ram), You-2-Bad (my 2019 Toyota), Oscar (our stove), Jessica (the washer/dryer), and so many more named "members" of our household…

However, the story does not end there. Edward developed a problem (ESC Error Code 30080) and DJI said to return it under warranty, I did and at this very moment, my new, replacement Drone is somewhere between Fort Worth, TX and Virginia.

So, I'm going to be watching this topic closely. I've read so many Dear Abby columns where a family member swipes the name from a soon to be born baby. I remember one young couple announced the sex of their yet-to-be-born baby boy and said they were going to name it "Samuel" after a favorite departed uncle. As the story goes, the expectant mother's sister and her boyfriend got a puppy and named the puppy Samuel. Now the expectant mother hates her sister because she absconded with the name and feels everyone will think the baby boy is named after the dog…

So, as soon as you decide on a name, please announce it for all the world to know and rejoice… Then anything left over is free and open…

BTW, I'm not looking for Skippy, or Songbird, or Thor, or Zeus, or anything so equivocal or univocal, or omnipotent. I want the new Drone to have a chance and not get picked on by the "mean Drones…".

View attachment 146466
What a great story! I would never have made the "Pearl" connection on my own.

My full name is Terry Curtis Savage.

As a kid I got teased about Terry being a girls name. But I was a big kid, so I didn't get teased that much. I'm actually Terry IV, with each of us having a different middle name, eg, my father was named Terry Richard Savage.

I was never able to extract where "Curtis" came from.

I also got the "Savage Indian" jokes as a kid, but I fully embraced those; I thought that was cool. Flash forward to 2016, when I started doing genealogy, and sure enough, I have Tribal ancestry at numerous points, going back to Jamestown in the early 1600s. More recently, I discovered that my father's maternal grandmother, my great-grandmother, was an enrolled member of the Cherokee tribe, by blood. The Cherokee was one of the federally identified "Five civilized tribes". I have a copy of the official US Census document stating this. I also have the feather headdress that she and my great grandfather used at a tribal celebration of their 50th wedding anniversary.

The only other organic member of my household is Hobbes, my 17 year old orange tabby cat. He's mixed-named after the philosopher, and the imaginary (?) tiger.

On the machine side:

Behemoth 1969 Mercury Grand Marquis
Dino 1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
Beast 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100
Yoda 2016 Toyota RAV4

And of course, all the numerous drones, some of which I've mentioned here, some of which I haven't.

I've always been a "name giver", in many contexts.

My new drone names will be posted as soon as they are finalized.

Thx!

TCS

View attachment 146466
LoudThunder . . . this was a great read, thank you!! Your wife is the pearl ☺️! Very creative.

Well .... Drones in the ST universe primary exist in the Borg story line. The Borg story line is present in TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and First Contact among others. This brings up an entire story arc on Borg technology etc. of which there are certainly a number of related terms that could be used as names using the drone tie in. I'll throw out a few I like that might make the list for consideration. The first is easy enough:

Borg
Scorpion
Cybernetic
Contact
Hive

I kind of like Borg and Hive as a pair since they relate and are short and simple. Then if you like adolescent humor .... maybe Nano-probe and Assimilate. :)

Good luck in finding names you like.

Mini Pearl on Hee Haw - I'm dating myself...

Well to support the Droid/Drone joke R2D2 or C3PO.

Some Halloween, I'm waiting for a person in a Borg outfit to come to my door and want to rejoin the Collective.
Only RC could be named C3PO, because the drone themselves don't talk...

But I am not going to go there!

TCS

Well .... Drones in the ST universe primary exist in the Borg story line. The Borg story line is present in TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, and First Contact among others. This brings up an entire story arc on Borg technology etc. of which there are certainly a number of related terms that could be used as names using the drone tie in. I'll throw out a few I like that might make the list for consideration. The first is easy enough:

Borg
Scorpion
Cybernetic
Contact
Hive

I kind of like Borg and Hive as a pair since they relate and are short and simple. Then if you like adolescent humor .... maybe Nano-probe and Assimilate. :)

Good luck in finding names you like.
I suppose I could name one of them "Exocomp". As soon as I started flying the Mini-2, it reminded me of an Exocomp. Data concluded that the Exocomps were alive...

Then there was the Borg named Hugh...

I'll reserve "Scorpion" as a possible name for my eventual mythical DJI FPV. Although my current preferred name candidate for that one is "Iratus", after the Iratus bug from Stargate:Atlantis.

Using the Scottish pronunciation, of course...

;-)

TCS

I use a Galaxy Tablet when I fly my Mini 2 (Bigger Brighter Screen) and the fact that DJI's Fly App will not run on my Smart Phone. When I get to my flying location, I Tether (called Hot Spotting) my tablet to my smart phone so I have internet access using the smart phone's data so I can download the local maps.

I have found that when I do this from home, the DJI Fly App only queues up a 1,000' x 800' high-def map and the resolution drops off dramatically after that, so a lost drone might be exceedingly difficult to find on a low-res street map when you are looking in a field with no landmarks…

My tethered/hot spot Names are "FBI-Surveillance-Van", "NSA-Surveillance-Van", and "York-County-Sherriff"… Sometimes, when I'm in a public place, Starbucks, Library, the Mall, I'll turn on the Hot spot and look to see if anyone jumps up and skedaddles. Those folk, usually young folk, usually 15 to 25 are probably running software on their smart phones and laptops, searching for un-secured networks…

• Haha
Reactions: Sunny Coast Mini 2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga