DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Naming Contest!

I use a Galaxy Tablet when I fly my Mini 2 (Bigger Brighter Screen) and the fact that DJI's Fly App will not run on my Smart Phone. When I get to my flying location, I Tether (called Hot Spotting) my tablet to my smart phone so I have internet access using the smart phone's data so I can download the local maps.

I have found that when I do this from home, the DJI Fly App only queues up a 1,000' x 800' high-def map and the resolution drops off dramatically after that, so a lost drone might be exceedingly difficult to find on a low-res street map when you are looking in a field with no landmarks…

My tethered/hot spot Names are "FBI-Surveillance-Van", "NSA-Surveillance-Van", and "York-County-Sherriff"… Sometimes, when I'm in a public place, Starbucks, Library, the Mall, I'll turn on the Hot spot and look to see if anyone jumps up and skedaddles. Those folk, usually young folk, usually 15 to 25 are probably running software on their smart phones and laptops, searching for un-secured networks…
Ahh, the hazards of living in a hyper-connected world!

;-)

TCS

I've named the Mini-SE!

Her name is Exocomp, just like the characters in the TNG episode. Obviously just Exo for casual conversation...

;-)

So the name for the Mini-1 is still open.

I'm sort of leaning back toward Reliant. But the game's not over, as Kahn famously said...

:)

TCS

Reactions: LoudThunder
Ok, if this is up for a vote you are in trouble . . .

🎉🥳

Drony McDroneface

If not familiar with the story . . .

Boaty McBoatface: What You Get When You Let the Internet Decide (Published 2016)

Hee hee, they never did name the vessel that, opting for the more appropriate RRS Sir David Attenborough, but did allot the name to one of the 3 AUV's the vessel carries . . .

So in a way Drony McDroneface should be a clear winner for an UAV 😁

Up for a voice, not for a vote!

;-)

The Mini-1 is named Reliant, and the Mini-SE is named Exocomp.

Life is good!

1649684832435.png

MM

Ok, if this is up for a vote you are in trouble . . .

🎉🥳

Drony McDroneface

If not familiar with the story . . .

Boaty McBoatface: What You Get When You Let the Internet Decide (Published 2016)

Hee hee, they never did name the vessel that, opting for the more appropriate RRS Sir David Attenborough, but did allot the name to one of the 3 AUV's the vessel carries . . .

So in a way Drony McDroneface should be a clear winner for an UAV 😁

Mate, I came to this thread to give this exact answer! Drony McDroneface is the only option if you ask me.

Mate, I came to this thread to give this exact answer! Drony McDroneface is the only option if you ask me.
Sorry guys...Reliant it is, and three syllables is my limit anyway.

But the suggestion is gratefully appreciated!

And, who knows? I may have a Mini-3 to name in the not too distant future...

1649699546110.png

MM

Dino 1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000
Beast 1983 Honda Goldwing GL1100

Thx!

:)

TCS
Oh my word!
I owned both of those models, at almost the same time. I'm pretty certain we might have both been riding the GL1100's at the same time. Mine had a prismatic paint job that sparkled under the street lamps.
(Being of smallish stature, someone remarked that when mounted up I looked a bit like an ant sat on the back of a Rhino.) I named her Rita the Rhino after that.
Anyway... Back to drones..

Oh my word!
I owned both of those models, at almost the same time. I'm pretty certain we might have both been riding the GL1100's at the same time. Mine had a prismatic paint job that sparkled under the street lamps.
(Being of smallish stature, someone remarked that when mounted up I looked a bit like an ant sat on the back of a Rhino.) I named her Rita the Rhino after that.
Anyway... Back to drones..
Sadly, I'm thinking of selling one or both of them, due to another bout of poverty.

The excessive heat that we're having doesn't help either. Our drones may have a max operating temp of 104º F, but my personal max operating temp is closer to 84º F. We've had highs above 90 º for most of the last two weeks, and that's forecast to continue as far as the eye can see.

I think I need to move somewhere with milder summers. And I could accept somewhat colder winters as a result.

(sigh)

Sadly, I'm thinking of selling one or both of them, due to another bout of poverty.

The excessive heat that we're having doesn't help either. Our drones may have a max operating temp of 104º F, but my personal max operating temp is closer to 84º F. We've had highs above 90 º for most of the last two weeks, and that's forecast to continue as far as the eye can see.

I think I need to move somewhere with milder summers. And I could accept somewhat colder winters as a result.

(sigh)
I for one think Wales U.K. would be ideal then, cheers Len

Reactions: Niggy
I for one think Wales U.K. would be ideal then, cheers Len
Perhaps!

I'm a genealogist, among other things, and the majority of my DNA comes from England, Ireland and Scotland. I have some Welsh, but not a lot.

I've been sufficiently annoyed with the weather recently that I'm finally poking at considering re-location. In addition to just temp, I don't want somewhere with Seattle-level cloud cover. I'm happy to have more than I have here in Carson City, but I want to be able to see the sun most days.

TCS

(sigh)
be glad your not in Phoenix, I'm selling my Royalstar Deluxe :(

be glad your not in Phoenix, I'm selling my Royalstar Deluxe :(
I did some research yesterday, and I may end up selling both of the very old Goldwings, and getting a much less old Harley.

It's essentially impossible to find people to work on old Goldwings these days.

• Wow
Reactions: Niggy
I call my drone "Orange", because it's always hanging around doing nothing. My Network is named Yahavah.

I call my drone "Orange", because it's always hanging around doing nothing. My Network is named Yahavah.
I thought you named it "Orange" because if rhymes with…

Well, darn, it doesn't rhyme with anything, that proves just how unique you little bird is.

But with the reference to your Network's Name (SSID), I'm surprised your drone's name is not "Katom or Tapuz…"

I thought you named it "Orange" because if rhymes with…

Well, darn, it doesn't rhyme with anything, that proves just how unique you little bird is.

But with the reference to your Network's Name (SSID), I'm surprised your drone's name is not "Katom or Tapuz…"
It would only confuse people more.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ112