DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone "Number Plates" in UK?

Amazing!!

With so many Bicycles and electric scooters roaming the streets robbing people, knocking in to pedestrian’s, damaging cars and jumping red lights but they still refuse to monitor or apply some sort of barcode or even a number plate so that they can identify culprits, but instead come out after drone flyers that are simply enjoying a pastime

Yes I realise that some drone pilots do break the law and in my opinion should be accounted for but introducing legislation only means FEE’S! To be paid to parliament

All it means is more MONEY, CONTROL.CONTROL and CONTROL

Please note that I’m not saying that all bike or scooter riders do what I mentioned above (I also ride a bike)

Happy Droning guys

its going to be on similar lines to the US RID system that identifies the drones owner and probably where they are flying from as well ,its no different to ANPR that identifies vehicles now ,just the way that the drone will be detected electronically instead of on camera
dont you just love the way the media uses such evocative vocabulary (wild west in the sky) when reporting drone news ,they just cant seem to help themselves they will do anything to get people to read such reports

Last edited:
its going to be on similar lines to the US RID system that identifies the drones owner and probably where they are flying from as well ,its no different to ANPR that identifies vehicles now ,just the way that the drone will be detected electronically instead of on camera
dont you just love the way the media uses such evocative vocabulary (wild west in the sky) when reporting drone news ,they just cant seem to help themselves they will do anything to get people to read such reports
Knee-jerk attention grabbers are all the media vultures are good for. Anyone who has paid even a passing interest in drone use has known that "the wild west" days ended in 2019 with mandatory drone and user registration. I honestly don't think it will matter a fig whether responsible users continue to toe every new compliance line laid down by Aviation Authorities, the excuse for the introduction of one regulation on top of another will always be media demonization of UAV"s. This is building up to the introduction of 'USSP's in Britain and Europe which means the same licensing structure as proper pilots, the same maintenance and airworthiness requirements the same insurance requirements and the requirement of paying that USSP a per-flight fee. All of which make the "appropriate" regulatory bodies a fat pile of cash. This isn't without past precedent: this is exactly the same situation that private 'hobbyist' pilots of light aircraft faced from the late 1920's onwards.

We already have “number plates” we have to display operator ID on our UAV’s

To be fair, there are not many " Bicycles and electric scooters roaming the streets" that have the potential to down an aircraft or to bring an airport to a complete standstill as happened in Gatwick a few years ago.
I agree with Old Man Mavic in as much as this is reported to be an electronic system similar to the RID system in the USA.
Personally, I have no problem with this proposal and if it goes someway to protect responsible drone owners from consequences of the idiots prosecuted recently for illegally flying in temporary restricted air show space, then so be it.

To be fair, there are not many " Bicycles and electric scooters roaming the streets" that have the potential to down an aircraft or to bring an airport to a complete standstill as happened in Gatwick a few years ago.
I agree with Old Man Mavic in as much as this is reported to be an electronic system similar to the RID system in the USA.
Personally, I have no problem with this proposal and if it goes someway to protect responsible drone owners from consequences of the idiots prosecuted recently for illegally flying in temporary restricted air show space, then so be it.
I also don’t have any problems with RID I have a problem with people continuing to refer to Gatwick and it’s mythical drones or drone . As far as I am aware It still has to be proven that it was a drone that caused those problems. As a drone flier of quite a number of years and knowing the capabilities of my drones I really cannot believe that any consumer drones were flying around and above Gatwick at the times stated, cheers Len

regarding my comment about Bicycles and electric scooters, is because I believe that some sort of registration should be applied when using public roads, seas or sky's like we have for drones for using airspace, I could be wrong but I'm sure that the licensing of drones has come about because a handful of idiots did not follow the rules, And as for Gatwick having Drones in it's restricted zones is very debatable >>> The mystery of the Gatwick drone

Regards

regarding my comment about Bicycles and electric scooters, is because I believe that some sort of registration should be applied when using public roads, seas or sky's like we have for drones for using airspace, I could be wrong but I'm sure that the licensing of drones has come about because a handful of idiots did not follow the rules, And as for Gatwick having Drones in it's restricted zones is very debatable >>> The mystery of the Gatwick drone

Regards
Totally agree, and unfortunately this still will not stop the irresponsible fliers from flying where they are not supposed to, they will just not bother to purchase any sort of RID add on and will continue to fly as they do now. As I have said before I have no problems with having any sort of RID module attached to any of my fleet but I do have problems with the idiots that are causing me extra expence and added perceived safety restrictions because of the stupid actions of a few, cheers Len

Reactions: NorbertG59
I find this attitude very odd. My take on it it that as an amateur hobbyist, I have absolutely nothing to fear from the authorities being able to identify my drone and eliminate it from such idiots who would fly without it. Anyone who would do so must have criminal intent, just as those people who drive about without insurance or driving licences. These idiots cost us "extra expense" in our own insurance premiums and yet we do not advocate resistance to compulsory insurance or the abolition of the need to pass driving tests and hold a licence because of the few who do not comply. This is becoming ever more common too given home office statistics.
We are still at the beginning of the evolution of our chosen "hobby," but there is great potential for drones to evolve further into commercial/emergency service uses as the technology progresses.
It is inevitable that our "hobby" will become increasingly restricted as these commercial pressures increase.
It doesn't really matter whether the Gatwick incident was real or as the conspiracy theorists would have us believe, contrived.
The fact is that a MOP reporting the sighting of a drone in restricted airspace could be enough to cause an airport to restrict flights. Does anyone remember the IRA bomb threats that caused buildings to be evacuated?
All someone has to do to disrupt an airport is falsely report an encroaching drone to get their perverted kicks,
There is also a real and potential threat for terrorist use of hobby grade drones as witnessed in Israel within the last few years.
The Government may be over zealous with their regulation, given the majority of our intentions of drone use, but they are perhaps just getting a handle on that future development which might need such regulation as the technology progresses.
Whilst throughout the world, there are variations on drone legislation, it all has a theme, and that is to ensure responsible use of the airspace.
I honestly feel that we are not that hard done by at present, it could get a lot worse!

The newspapers love hyperbole don't they. The following refers to UK figures.

There have been some fatalities caused by cyclists and E-scooter riders, to other road users. Eleven E-scooter riders were killed in the period June 2021 to June 2022. In the previous twelve months there were four fatalities. Having flown model aircraft, on and off, since I was twelve, (you do the sums) I cannot recall a fatality, and I've been unable to find any record of one the WWW.

Meanwhile in the real world, I saw a dashcam video shot on a local road, where totally anonymous cyclists were riding four abreast on the carriageway and ignoring a newly opened cycle path.

I am reminded of the hysteria caused in the early 80's when CB radio was legalised, and how it would be used by criminals, and cause interference to emergency radio services.

A dated cliche, today's news papers, tomorrows chip papers.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Beware the seduction of ' I've done nothing wrong, so I've no objection to surveillance' argument. The end result is a society under constant observation, like in China today. The intentions may be good initially, but you do not know how it will be used at some point on the future. We constantly give up little freedoms under the justification of necessity. 1984 creeps ever closer as the mechanisms are in place, waiting for the justification to 'protect' us.

Beware the seduction of ' I've done nothing wrong, so I've no objection to surveillance' argument. The end result is a society under constant observation, like in China today. The intentions may be good initially, but you do not know how it will be used at some point on the future. We constantly give up little freedoms under the justification of necessity. 1984 creeps ever closer as the mechanisms are in place, waiting for the justification to 'protect' us.
That is so true. There are many examples of laws being introduced and used for purposes they were never intended. Like anti terrorism laws which are being used to prosecute people for making a mistake with recycling their waste. Or speed cameras which would only be used "where there had been a number of accidents caused by speeding". We all know the companies selling the cameras were advising councils where they would yield the most money.

When George Orwell wrote 1984 it was meant to be a warning, not an instruction manual.

All these drone regs are based on their possible use as weapons, illegal surveillance, and drug distribution. Of course, our government won't admit to that, but that's why they are creating so many drone rules.

From what I gather, there was never a single photo nor any other sort of proof that the Gatwick incident was actually a drone. It was just some knee jerk reaction to say it was a drone and then the news ran with it. After several years there has still been nothing to prove that was all due to a drone.

Reactions: PeteTheJack
From what I gather, there was never a single photo nor any other sort of proof that the Gatwick incident was actually a drone. It was just some knee jerk reaction to say it was a drone and then the news ran with it. After several years there has still been nothing to prove that was all due to a drone.
By the sounds of it all it takes is a disgruntle employee to make that call and all hell breaks loose, with all the technology and CCTV all around the airport not even 1 peace o evidence? 4 years on all we know for sure is that because of this incident two people got a good pay day £200.000 each and rightly so.

None of these objections have anything to do with keeping airspace safe in the future. And the nature of drone sales means that it WILL become ever more common as more people are attracted to the leisure pastime, and there will soon be commercial drone flights entering the field in the not too distant future . A cyclist pulling out in front of a bus load of passengers might well end up under the wheels but is very unlikely to take out the bus, but the potential for a single drone to down an aircraft of passengers would be catastrophic, however slim the chances.
And it doesn't matter if the Gatwick incident was genuine or contrived. The potential dangers are still evident., and the excuse that the authorities need to keep a tight reign on airspace around such facilities.
The fact is that more restrictive legislation is coming, no matter how we much we protest. Now, if some are jealous of the fact that SOME cyclists seem to have the ability to ignore red lights with impunity, well, that is a completely different issue.

None of these objections have anything to do with keeping airspace safe in the future. And the nature of drone sales means that it WILL become ever more common as more people are attracted to the leisure pastime, and there will soon be commercial drone flights entering the field in the not too distant future . A cyclist pulling out in front of a bus load of passengers might well end up under the wheels but is very unlikely to take out the bus, but the potential for a single drone to down an aircraft of passengers would be catastrophic, however slim the chances.
And it doesn't matter if the Gatwick incident was genuine or contrived. The potential dangers are still evident., and the excuse that the authorities need to keep a tight reign on airspace around such facilities.
The fact is that more restrictive legislation is coming, no matter how we much we protest. Now, if some are jealous of the fact that SOME cyclists seem to have the ability to ignore red lights with impunity, well, that is a completely different issue.
In the U.K. by an act of Parliament you cannot buy a TV from a shop without giving your name and address so the shop can pass those details on to TV licensing. There is already a system place for drone operators and Pilots to be registered with the CAA so should not purchasers of new drones be obliged to do the same by their details being passed on to the CAA. I buy a new car every few years and am always asked to s how my driving licence to the Garage that I buy it from . Cannot see any sensible reason why this cannot work with drone purchase's. Orwellians will complain but when a drone causes an accident , assuming they are capable of bringing down a manned aircraft, what will be the outcry then. Just think If you want to buy and drive a car, a motorcycle a private plane you by law have to be licensed and by doing so all your details are recorded now by Government Departments. We all belong to the NHS all your most personal and private details are recorded by them and do we complain about that or think it’s a conspiracy to stop our so called freedoms , if my hobby of flying drones and the taking of photographs from above is going to become classed as being so dangerous it should be banned , I think people , will not call them Pilots, people that flout the rules should be held to account so that those Pilots that fly within the rules should have the freedom to do so and to enjoy this wonderful hobby of flying drones without fear or favour. If you don’t want your details recorded don’t buy a TV, a Car, Motorcycle or anything that requires you to be licensed , Cheers Len

And the suspected pilot had a six figure settlement for false arrests ETC.

All these drone regs are based on their possible use as weapons, illegal surveillance, and drug distribution. Of course, our government won't admit to that, but that's why they are creating so many drone rules.
Does any one think that a terrorist is going to be deterred by having to register a drone?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer