DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

drone on cruise (holland cruise line)

mikey201

Reactions
going on a cruise in a few months to the caribbean . really want to bring my mavic on bored . obviously wouldnt use it on the ship but when i get to the port .
anybody have any experience with holland? i know carnival lets u bring it on . some other lines take it but give it to you everytime u get to a port . would the mavic even get noticed because how small it is? holland says drones are prohibited on the ships nomatter what
anyone bring drones on a cruise before

but was thinking what if i bring it anyways . id assume theyd take it and i wouldnt get it back till after the cruise is over but maybe there the chance i get it at each port

Last edited:
What are you looking for, validation of your intent to not follow their rules?

Dumb way to risk your drone (and your cruise) if you ask me, but to each his own.

did you not read me saying i wouldnt use it on the ship or did u just read the title. im looking for if anyone has had experience . read the entirety before you make a comment

anybody here thats actually been on a cruise before? ive been on 2 and drones weren't really a big thing when i went on them

From Holland's prohibited item list:
"Without exception, prohibited items will not be allowed or stored onboard the vessel. Guests are wholly responsible for either storing these items ashore or disposing of them prior to embarkation."
followed by:
"Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote controlled aerial devices/toys."

Pretty clear. The second sentence in the first quote is what would give me pause.

What I see is, "I know the rules and I want to see if anyone else got away with it, this way I can feel justified in attempting the same thing." If you want to disregard the rules, why are you posting here? It's explicitly states in the rules, so it's pretty hard to try to argue it in any other way than "I got away with it." Just do it and see what happens. Or, call them and ask if there are procedures you can follow to take it aboard.

I think he was wanting to know how hard it is to sneak it on board and get off and back on to the ship with it for use while on land. Some rules are stupid and deserve to be broken if they aren't harming anyone. At the very least maybe they should lift the ban for licensed pilots...

I think he was wanting to know how hard it is to sneak it on board and get off and back on to the ship with it for use while on land. Some rules are stupid and deserve to be broken if they aren't harming anyone. At the very least maybe they should lift the ban for licensed pilots...

Agreed. If the drone is legal to fly in the port you visit and you don’t fly it on board the ship what business is it of the cruise line if you bring it on board? What if the airlines applied the same logic to bringing drones on flights? I bet there would be a lot more people upset.

It’s obviously a liability issue for the ship but let’s be honest that it’s a dumb rule. And who really ever reads the “terms and conditions” of tickets when buying them? The cruise lines know this so the worst that will happen is they confiscate it for the duration of the trip - that is all.

going on a cruise in a few months to the caribbean . really want to bring my mavic on bored . obviously wouldnt use it on the ship but when i get to the port .
anybody have any experience with holland? i know carnival lets u bring it on . some other lines take it but give it to you everytime u get to a port . would the mavic even get noticed because how small it is? holland says drones are prohibited on the ships nomatter what
anyone bring drones on a cruise before

but was thinking what if i bring it anyways . id assume theyd take it and i wouldnt get it back till after the cruise is over but maybe there the chance i get it at each port

What countries are you visiting for starters because some Caribbean countries ban them;

https://forum.dji.com/thread-98600-1-1.html

And that list is not complete - banned in Barbados too.

And some cruise ships ban them too, in part courtesy of idiots flying them off the ships - not a very good idea, and compasses need recalibrating off and away from the ship when in port, something too few manage to do either, or forget to reprogram where home is to see it fly off to where it last got flown.

How about instead of trying to think up ways to flout the rules you just choose a different cruise line? If enough people vote with their wallets maybe Holland will wake up and institute a more reasonable policy; until then, the correct course of action is for you to find a different cruise line.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr