DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Drone" versus "Aerial Photography"

tictag

Reactions
Just a quick comment, I recently had dealings with one of the National Parks in England (Peak District....you know who you are). When I talked about flying 'drones' in the park it was like mentioning a hypnotised keyword cue (kill the president, kill the president....) and the answer was always "No (...and I hate you)", OK, they didn't say 'I hate you' but they may as well have. Then I got speaking to somebody else and talked about 'aerial photography within the park' and, do you know what, they could not have been more helpful. BUT I'M TALKING ABOUT THE SAME THING!!

Shakespeare said, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet" but clearly "Drone" means something completely differently to people than "Aerial Photography" does.

What's in a name? Why does the word "drone" create such an irrational response?

Just a quick comment, I recently had dealings with one of the National Parks in England (Peak District....you know who you are). When I talked about flying 'drones' in the park it was like mentioning a hypnotised keyword cue (kill the president, kill the president....) and the answer was always "No (...and I hate you)", OK, they didn't say 'I hate you' but they may as well have. Then I got speaking to somebody else and talked about 'aerial photography within the park' and, do you know what, they could not have been more helpful. BUT I'M TALKING ABOUT THE SAME THING!!

Shakespeare said, "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other word would smell as sweet" but clearly "Drone" means something completely differently to people than "Aerial Photography" does.

I would rather be called an Aerial Photographer Than a Drone Pilot, Though saying that I would rather my Mavic Pro be called a Drone than a Toy

Reactions: tictag

Good point, everyone now knows what a "Drone" is but with that name now comes some negativity.... I had an elderly lady come up to me when I was at a job site and ask me "Is that a drone? Who is it spying on?"

I tend to agree. I refer to my Mavic as an "Arial Camera" because it immediately infers what I'm using it for without having to explain. I.e. not for flying around buzzing people for fun.

Normally I continue to say I use it for landscape photograph - i.e
Wide angle lens not for spying.

Simple choice of words can sometimes help set the tone of a conversation.

Reactions: tictag
Whenever I've asked for permission to fly somewhere I always start with "I do a lot of aerial photography, would be ok if I took some photos of your land/building/house/whatever? I'll happily send you a copy of any photos."

And like you say @tictag - they welcome me with open arms!!

I don't get it either :rolleyes:

But it's a tactic I use all the time ;)

Reactions: DanCarpy and tictag
My guess would be that when most people (outside of this hobby) hear the term "aerial photography," they think of the photographer flying in an airplane or helicopter.

Reactions: secretAsianman

Yes ive found the same, i tend to refer to it as a quad copter, as most of those type of people see everything in black and white, mainly because they still think its the 1930's and run these places like it still is, so quad copter sounds harmless enough to them, unlike drone which reminds them of the v1's and v2's that they remember falling on London when they were younger :D

Reactions: Likeitmore
From day one I've considered the mavic to be a camera platform.
Seems like there's much better choices for sport flying at a much lower cost.
(I own one or two)
So I just always use it exclusively for videos and photography.

What's wrong with simply calling them what they were originally called?
Quads or Quadcopter, Hexacopter or Octocopter.

What's wrong with simply calling them what they were originally called?
Quads or Quadcopter, Hexacopter or Octocopter.
I've been flying model aircraft for decades and that's what I've always called multi-rotor aircraft. I hate the term "drone".

What if you said, "Aerial photography... with... er... a drone"?

tenor.gif

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard