Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

DroneControl Open Beta release - livestream with remote control

DroneControl

Reactions
Site
www.dronecontrol.co

Overview​

fyni710qrDYbLlx9RuaaSzUiNHGVh8cCQAZJ-_jT4DIDPxcLsphQkA5cv4Ko-jvhe60Y158gcBR97-GRlxW4woULRVj_NjhJu_kjvkfUM-k-b2CHGodm1IB1r-6YFkBqAsUPFPla

I would like to present our project that we’ve been working on for the past year. It's a control app called DroneControl, developed using official DJI SDK together with their new UX SDK. It basically enables you as a drone operator to start a livestream session to anyone in the World and even let them take control of the drone. The viewer doesn’t need any third party app, as it works via any modern Web browser. While it works best for single viewers, it does support multiple viewers though bandwidth/CPU limitations apply in those cases. Current state of the app is OPEN BETA (Android only), which means that there might be some bugs. We already had a Closed Beta release in the Control Apps section (see forum thread), which you might have already noticed it.

Just click on this Google Play Store button to download the app if interested. google-play-badge.png

For more information on the overall application and service see the official page, especially how it works section.

Supported drones​

Almost all DJI drones except the ones that have not yet been officially supported in the SDK, which are:
* DJI Mavic Mini 2
* DJI Mavic Air 2S

Improvements since closed Beta​

Since closed Beta release we've made drastic improvements regarding performance when live video streaming from drones, that support higher resolution. Also issues with Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro sometimes having trouble streaming have been fixed.

Overview​

fyni710qrDYbLlx9RuaaSzUiNHGVh8cCQAZJ-_jT4DIDPxcLsphQkA5cv4Ko-jvhe60Y158gcBR97-GRlxW4woULRVj_NjhJu_kjvkfUM-k-b2CHGodm1IB1r-6YFkBqAsUPFPla

I would like to present our project that we’ve been working on for the past year. It's a control app called DroneControl, developed using official DJI SDK together with their new UX SDK. It basically enables you as a drone operator to start a livestream session to anyone in the World and even let them take control of the drone. The viewer doesn’t need any third party app, as it works via any modern Web browser. While it works best for single viewers, it does support multiple viewers though bandwidth/CPU limitations apply in those cases. Current state of the app is OPEN BETA (Android only), which means that there might be some bugs. We already had a Closed Beta release in the Control Apps section (see forum thread), which you might have already noticed it.

Just click on this Google Play Store button to download the app if interested. View attachment 132131

For more information on the overall application and service see the official page, especially how it works section.

Supported drones​

Almost all DJI drones except the ones that have not yet been officially supported in the SDK, which are:
* DJI Mavic Mini 2
* DJI Mavic Air 2S

Improvements since closed Beta​

Since closed Beta release we've made drastic improvements regarding performance when live video streaming from drones, that support higher resolution. Also issues with Mavic 2 Zoom/Pro sometimes having trouble streaming have been fixed.
You may want "rethink" this aspect of your project:

"It basically enables you as a drone operator to start a livestream session to anyone in the World and even let them take control of the drone."

I would just go with the livestream bits for obvious reasons...

Reactions: Sully53
Hello @Flycaster !

Thank you for your feedback. Actually the part for letting viewer control camera gimbal and take flight controls is optional and is disabled per default. Also we knew that lots of users might have second thoughts enabling this, that's why we've taken extra effort to enable owner to seemingly take back control of the drone. It can be done by slightly moving either left/right joysticks on their controller. Also the drone owner can set viewer virtual joystick sensitivity via setting slider, basically enabling slower speeds even if user moves them far from the center. See FAQ section for more information.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Hello @Flycaster !

Thank you for your feedback. Actually the part for letting viewer control camera gimbal and take flight controls is optional and is disabled per default. Also we knew that lots of users might have second thoughts enabling this, that's why we've taken extra effort to enable owner to seemingly take back control of the drone. It can be done by slightly moving either left/right joysticks on their controller. Also the drone owner can set viewer virtual joystick sensitivity via setting slider, basically enabling slower speeds even if user moves them far from the center. See FAQ section for more information.
You might want to think a bit deeper, your function will disconnect or "hobble" said "remote" control of ac, only if the "primary pilot" allows it or stops it.
What if it is set up/used for some nefarious "reasons". Think about it,

You need to realize some of the "darker scenarios" that could/may be achieved using this type of "long distance remote control". Some may not be about taking a picture of a castle.....

You might want to think a bit deeper, your function will disconnect or "hobble" said "remote" control of ac, only if the "primary pilot" allows it or stops it.

You need to realize some of the "darker scenarios" that could/may be achieved using this type of "long distance remote control". Some may not be about taking a picture of a castle.....
I’m not really sure what you are insinuating. I think it is a pretty cool idea and I love to see innovation in the market.

Well, yes, your idea has a lot of great possibilities for folks who don't "fly", or just can't get to the location.

But to be blunt now, that setup could be used for nefarious purposes. Say some person initiates a flight with a drone, and lets another person take over the controls (could be next town, could be another country, and flies it someplace where he isn't supposed too, like an airport, or dump something from the air. See where I'm going?

It also allows for illegal operation since the drone would not be in VLOS of the operator. They should run this past the FAA and see if it meets their requirement before they release it to the public.

Interesting concept. Do you anticipate an iOS release of your product? Or is that out of the question due to Apple's strict policies etc?

Reactions: DroneControl
It also allows for illegal operation since the drone would not be in VLOS of the operator. They should run this past the FAA and see if it meets their requirement before they release it to the public.

I would think this would not fall under that because the Main Operator (not the remote) would be required to follow VLOS etc.

Yes, there is certainly possibility for technology to be used either for good or bad intentions. Unfortunately for what purpose this technology is going to be used is outside of our control.

I’m not really sure what you are insinuating. I think it is a pretty cool idea and I love to see innovation in the market.
Thank you for your kind words. Yes we definitely wanted to do something innovative and hopefully something that drone users would find useful.

Well, yes, your idea has a lot of great possibilities for folks who don't "fly", or just can't get to the location.
It's not only for remote viewers. For example, one way to use this is to fly your drone from the comfort of your house, by putting the remote controller outside for line of sight, and then connecting to it via desktop computer or via big TV screen web browser. As noted on our site, we actually also support flying with PS5/Xbox controller!

But to be blunt now, that setup could be used for nefarious purposes. Say some person initiates a flight with a drone, and lets another person take over the controls (could be next town, could be another country, and flies it someplace where he isn't supposed too, like an airport, or dump something from the air. See where I'm going?
As someone previously mentioned, we think responsibility still falls on the actual person holding the remote control.

Interesting concept. Do you anticipate an iOS release of your product? Or is that out of the question due to Apple's strict policies etc?
Yes we definitely plan to do the iOS version if Android version attracts large enough audience. Currently this is a proof of concept product, as we aren't sure if B2B (Enterprise) wouldn't actually be a better fit for this kind of service.

Reactions: BigAl07

Doesn’t seem any different from if anybody with a drone flys where they aren’t suppose to. I don’t see how this concept changes anything.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000