DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones flying around

I actually saw another drone today. Went to a park up here in the mountains in Colorado. Launched from the top of the mountain and went cruising down into the valley. Was almost a mile away and -400 feet below my launch point shooting the valley. Then all the sudden I hear a mavic right above me. Scared the hell out of me as I was initially trying to figure out why my mavic was suddenly right above me somewhere. Took a second to spot another mavic right above me about 150'. Waved to the other mavic then flew mine back to see if I could find them since they found me. Took a minute of searching, but eventually saw an easy up with about 4 people all standing outside of it staring up at the sky.

We landed and then went a talked to them for a brief second. They were on their way out of the park, but were in an rv and were traveling all over the country (they are originally from Mexico.) Shared some great stories and said our good byes. Was funny as i've only had my mavic for about 2 weeks and already found another mavic owner in the wild. I'll never forget the WTF running through my mind as the sound of a mavic over my head suddenly appeared.

I have in the UK... so far I've seen...
A Phantom used for music video on a back street in Manchester city center. Had a chat with the guy flying it. I'm not sure he was certified to be flying in the city center which is definitely a restricted zone in the UK! He was a bit evasive.
An Inspire 1 used to assess fire damage in Manchester city center. I was working on my office watching it buzz about so didn't see who was flying.
I've seen an FPV aircraft... I was out flying an FPV racing drone, I noticed the plane flying continuously along a path too far to be ground controlled (I also fly RC planes). I put on my FPV goggles, found the feed and had a good watch. Managed to find the guy by accident a short time later when I was walking back to my camp site... I was actually looking for a guy with goggles on, but actually found a guy with a monitor on a picnic table! Didn't see his control so asked if he was watching a guy with a quad (me) or the guy with the plane. He chuckled and pulled his remote from under the table where it was resting and said that he was flying the plane! A good 30 mins chat ensued.
A shed load of P2s, P3s, P4s, Mavics, some random toy types and a ton of racing quads yesterday... I may be cheating though with this one as I was at Weston Park model airshow getting sunburn while watching the show. Some of the best RC pilots from all over the world.
It's funny as when I see someone else flying quads, its like I'm drawn to find them like flies to a....

Other than my Mavic I have only seen 2 others. I saw one guy flying downtown near our State Capital building ( I assume he was doing some film work as you definitely need permission to fly there due to our State laws) and the other I saw filming at a Dragon Boat race where I was participating last year. I keep looking around though when I am out hoping to see someone else flying. I keep my Mavic with me in a backpack almost everywhere I go. Never know when you might want to fly.

I've yet to run into one in the wild.

How many of you have seen drones flying around while you were just going through the course of your regular day? Dropping the kids off at school? Going to or from work? Getting lunch? Going grocery shopping? I thought for a moment and I've never seen a drone in the sky other than mine. (Once when my buddy flew his Mavic with me. But that doesn't count.) So how bout you? And if so, how often? I'm in the Dallas metro area too, so it's not as if I'm in an unpopulated area.
I live in Staten Island NY and have only seen one drone, it was a phantom 2/3 not sure but that is what actually got me hooked to buy one, now I have a P3P and a mavic

I've see an Inspire 1 once on the 4th of July filming a parade. Then just the other day a couple of guys were filming some bikers from the Bike Across America with an Inspire 2. Other than that I've never seen any, definitely not where I live.

How many of you have seen drones flying around while you were just going through the course of your regular day? Dropping the kids off at school? Going to or from work? Getting lunch? Going grocery shopping? I thought for a moment and I've never seen a drone in the sky other than mine. (Once when my buddy flew his Mavic with me. But that doesn't count.) So how bout you? And if so, how often? I'm in the Dallas metro area too, so it's not as if I'm in an unpopulated area.
Interesting Question and I too haven't seen a drone flying around, except once at a beach, everyone must be using stealth Mode LOL

I just had my first encounter with another drone and it was even a Mavic. I was running some test flights in my yard and had just set down one last time and another Mavic buzzed by. I was kinda shocked, guess with them being available at best buy and even Walmart we are going to see more in the air.

I had a Chesson CX 20 (no camera, flew like a brick) and just packed it away at my home here in Canberra when my wife asked me who I was flying with. As it turns out, I was being chased by a Phantom 4 (cutting edge at the time). I waved, it waggled and flew away. :) Only time ever seen another drone up and about.

Well I finally had an encounter with not 1 but 2 other drones last night during the fireworks. I made a flight just after we got settled into our viewing spot for the fireworks in town last night. I drained a full battery on the Mavic flying around the fringes of town and the park where the crowds were (not flying over them of course). Anyway just before the show was about to start I realized I had left my other battery at the house in the charger! All bummed out I sat there sulking because I was looking so forward to flying during the show. I caught a flash out of the corner of my eye and looked up to see a Phantom parked over us. The I started looking around and saw another Phantom on the opposite side of where the fireworks were going off. It just tore me up thinking right there in the bag I had the Mavic with less than 20% batter left. SOOO I broke it back out and ran it down to as far as I dare go (5%) and then quickly brought it back in.

Lesson learned? Two batteries are definitely not enough and all the extra batteries in the world don't do you a hill of beans of good if you don't have them with you!

Reactions: Costa2003
I saw a phantom during the fireworks show last night so of course I sent up the mavic...lol. Too bad I ran out of battery before the extravagent ending to the show.

First other drone encounter yesterday, phantom I believe.in crianlarich, Scotland.
I was in process of climbing a hill and it was a few hundred feet below me. Gave me the incentive to get to the top of the hill to get my mavic flying.

Reactions: mkdive
Have only spotted another drone once (actually in my neighborhood a block over). We both decided to get some firework edits on July 4th. No idea which house....they had a P4. I'm in a large metro area on the coast. I'm really surprised I don't see them often (but I never do).

Saw THREE filming the 4th of July fireworks this year. Rather, I saw the lights and reflections and could hear them in between booms.

I live in a rural region in Flanders ( Belgium). I'm interested in drones since DJI made their sophisticated gps controlled drones . I've NEVER seen one, not nearby, not anywhere around...and I'm always on the lookout during my bike excursions. Politicians and media, totally ignorant, are killing the hobby before it gets the occasion to expand. It bares resemblance with a McCarthyist witch hunt...[emoji57]

Personally I have never seen another in the air, ever. That is probably because I'm always looking for them. I have friends that claim they seen them but still, I've yet to see one!

It's comparable to UFO spotters...if you believe in them, you see them everywhere...[emoji6]

My only encounter was in a small village (20-30 houses ) where my children's are on vacation - I was flying far away when I heard Mavic's sound near by I landed and then take a shot of it in air ;)

Attachments

• mavik.jpg
    mavik.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 39
My only encounter was in a small village (20-30 houses ) where my children's are on vacation - I was flying far away when I heard Mavic's sound near by I landed and then take a shot of it in air ;)

Wow, are you sure it isn't some dirt speck on your lens...[emoji23]...very incognito...I like that.

Not buying you can see it at 1640 feet. Maybe the blinking lights at night, but no way in the day.
Depends aa lot on sky conditions. My old eyes had problems with blue sky today at 300'. :). But on bright day with high cirrus clouds above, much easier to spot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada