DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drones for hunting?

51 Drones

Reactions
I could not find a thread about this topic, so here we go. I had a friend ask me if my drone could be used to recover a deer his wife shot, that they lost the blood trail on. After some investigating, it turns out nearly every state in the U.S. does not allow it. If you are interested, here is a video about what I learned:

Find a tracking dog .

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Whilst I am not a hunter and am not going to watch a video on the subject, are your certain that the prohibitions relate to finding a wounded or dead animal?
I ask because I thought the prohibition lies in finding a target to shoot. I recollect someone, or a hunting party, possibly in Alaska, being prosecuted for the use on a drone to find a target.

Whilst I am not a hunter and am not going to watch a video on the subject, are your certain that the prohibitions relate to finding a wounded or dead animal?
I ask because I thought the prohibition lies in finding a target to shoot. I recollect someone, or a hunting party, possibly in Alaska, being prosecuted for the use on a drone to find a target.
100% sure on the ones I found anyway. That’s why I’m requesting assistance. One I am really interested in knowing about is Ohio, because there is a company offering that service, and I’m not sure if it’s legal there.

My Son-in-law and grandson will be bum. I gave them an air 2 over the weekend and they immediately started making plans for using it hunting, pre scouting and recovering.

Some states don’t even allow that.
Surprised at that. Being a exgamewarden here we had no problems
unless it wasn’t dog season unless we knew it and they carried no guns. But like you said every state has their own game laws.

100% sure on the ones I found anyway. That’s why I’m requesting assistance. One I am really interested in knowing about is Ohio, because there is a company offering that service, and I’m not sure if it’s legal there.
Call 1-800-WILDLIFE (945-3543) is Ohio. 👍

In Michigan it would be a no go with the way the law is currently worded. Not for scouting nor for tracking/retrieving after the kill.
Then that’s what we call Waltham waste. Not coming out right on talk text but ya know what I mean. And That is against our wildlife laws.
As far as using a drone I’ve been retired to long to know what
we can do looking for big game at nite. But if you kill it you do all you can. I kill it I grill it. 🤷‍♂️

Most of the states will not allow, here in Colorado, you cannot even take photos of wildlife using an UAS. I think that will be a no on most states. Just put it this way, the word UAS and wildlife will never go together, no matter what scenario you can come up with. Besides, it takes the fun away, best feeling in the world is to hunt your game going after on foot, now, that's hunting😁

Drone Restrictions in Colorado​

Drones may cause severe harm and even death for animals. That’s why Colorado prohibits the use of drones over or near wildlife. It is forbidden to use a drone to harass an animal in any way. If you cause an animal to look up, change direction, or stop eating, that is considered harassment. It’s illegal for drones to fly over wildlife, and drones must not approach birds or other animals vertically.

Drones are also referred to as Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). In Colorado, drone use is only allowed in state parks that have areas that are specifically designated for UAS activity. It is prohibited to take off or land a UAS in any of Colorado’s state wildlife areas, and drones must be kept within the operator’s site at all times.

If drones are used for illegal activity, they are subject to seizure by Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW). Drones that contain video showing they were used to harass wildlife are subject to forfeiture.

Federal Drone Restrictions​

According to federal wildlife protection regulations, it is illegal to launch a drone within 100 meters (328 feet) of wildlife. It is also forbidden to disturb animals while they are nesting, breeding, or rearing their offspring. Penalties for violating drone laws in ways that harass wildlife range from $70 to $125,000. The strictest fines are for hunters who use drones to locate animals.

No type of “motorized equipment” or “mechanical transport” is permitted over congressionally designated wilderness areas. That means drone use is completely forbidden in national parks.

Drones Are Never Allowed for Hunting​

There are absolutely no circumstances when you are allowed to use drones to engage in hunting. According to Heather Duggan of CPW: “The bottom line is, if it’s related to a hunt in any way, you can’t do it.” A UAS cannot be used to scout an animal or to locate it after it has been killed or wounded. Hunting with drones is also a violation of the Federal Airborne Hunting Act.😁

Last edited:
Reactions: SimonP
Most of the states will not allow, here in Colorado, you cannot even take photos of wildlife using an UAS. I think that will be a no on most states. Just put it this way, the word UAS and wildlife will never go together, no matter what scenario you can come up with.

Not even photos eh? (Does that exclude areas where flying in wildlife preserves is already restricted to begin with?)

That's a lot of "Over" for airspace regulation at a state level. (Edit : Though in the second point, it's a federal restriction, not a Colorado restriction)

In my personal opinion, drones have no business around wildlife for the reasons stated above. We humans have done enough damage to their habitats and food sources. Some of the articles I read are horrific, we are killing every species little by little with no remorse, and the sad thing is that motivations is money, the richer wants to be richer and that will never end. Of course, I love to hunt, but hunting is not what some folks think, hunting is a controlled measured and a sport. There is a town a few miles from where I live called Woodland Park where the mountain lion population is out of control, a few years back, black bears were running Florida due to lack of hunting licenses issue that year and the list goes on. I think 51Drones shot himself on the food with this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamesz and halifax
Guys i've just deleted alot of post were this went Off Topic/ started with a sexist post and went down hill from there.
Most were just clean up .Lets please stay on the Main Topic .
Thanks.

Reactions: karlblessing
A couple of years ago a hunter in British Columbia was fined for merely having a drone in his possession during a hunting trip. There was no evidence that he actually used it for any purpose related to his hunting, merely having access to the drone while hunting was enough to charge him.

"Man fined for flying drone during hunting trip"
www.uav-canada.com/man-fined-for-flying-drone-during-hunting-trip/

Here you can have a spotlight and gun in your vehicle after dark
even from coming home and not spotlighting and be charged.
And the fine is high as well as you lose your gun. Point is the intent is there . Even though you were not spotlighting you could.
Just having it in your vehicle is enough to be busted. Same would apply with having a drone in your vehicle. You might not have used
it, but 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: GFields and Zbip57
Stop bloody hunting - what did they do to you?!
Hunted all my life. Still do. I kill it I grill it. Not to mention all the mounted heads I have in my house. Deer meat is better for you
than beef. Is lean and better for your heart.
Now back on Main Topic 🤨

I manage 30+ hunters on land trust land in New England. Most are ethical and sporting, but over the years I've had them hunting over bait during the season, hunting before dawn or after sunset, using drones, jacklighting, killing non-game species, and more. And I've had to defend them from people making false accusations and interfering with their right to hunt. It's my annual nightmare. I hate hunting season because every problem is a complex problem.

That said, I use my drones under Part 107 to look for poachers when I get a tip or see an unauthorized vehicle near a preserve. The drone has helped me to find poachers twice in the last 6 years. And for ATV trespass, too. It's a great tool for these uses. But there is absolutely no place for drones on the hunter side.

Reactions: Zeke
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan