DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Dumb question: Altitude relative to what?

Chuckinay

Reactions
I'm sorry, but I can't find the answer to this anywhere. I'm sure it's somewhere, in the manual perhaps, or even in this forum, but I just can't find it ...

After learning the basics on completely flat ground, I'm soon going to be flying in an area of variable elevation. I know as a Private pilot that there are two kinds of altitude, and it is vitally important to know which kind you, or a map, or controllers, are referring to: AGL (above ground level) or MSL (above mean sea level, measured by altimeter).

So when I am flying my Mavic 2 Pro, and it says I am 100 feet high, how is that measured? Relative to the ground below the drone? (And how does it do that?) Relative to Home? If it's the latter, doesn't that mean that in certain circumstances your altitude might be a negative number — if you launch from a mountaintop and fly down slope?

No, that wouldn't make sense. It has to be AGL. So if I launch at a mountain top and fly away from the mountain without changing relative altitude, the altitude reading would nonetheless rise, relative to the ground receding below — right?

And how does the drone measure that altitude? Is it getting it from GPS, referencing a database of known locations and ground elevation? Is it measuring it with a down-looking sensor? I'm pretty sure it's not an altimeter, because those require calibration with a known nearby pressure reading (except above FL180, where a standard setting is used).

This brings me to my next question: If I program a waypoint flight and assign altitudes to the waypoints, are those altitudes AGL? Or relative to the Home point?

Example: Near a lake, my Home point will be on land, about 100 feet above lake level. I want the drone to fly out over the lake, descend to about 50 feet above the lake near a shoreline point of interest, photograph it, and return. What altitudes should I assign at the various locations?

So when I am flying my Mavic 2 Pro, and it says I am 100 feet high, how is that measured? Relative to the ground below the drone?
That's the altitude above the takeoff point. The aircraft uses its internal barometer and downward sensors (when close enough to the ground) to determine its current altitude.

If I program a waypoint flight and assign altitudes to the waypoints, are those altitudes AGL? Or relative to the Home point?
All altitudes are the altitude above the takeoff point. The takeoff point is always zero feet.

What altitudes should I assign at the various locations?
If you're not sure, you can set the waypoints while you're flying your Mavic. Here's an example showing how that's done:

So when I am flying my Mavic 2 Pro, and it says I am 100 feet high, how is that measured?
It is AGL from the take off (home) point.

If I program a waypoint flight and assign altitudes to the waypoints, are those altitudes AGL? Or relative to the Home point?
Relative to Home Point.

Example: Near a lake, my Home point will be on land, about 100 feet above lake level. I want the drone to fly out over the lake, descend to about 50 feet above the lake near a shoreline point of interest, photograph it, and return. What altitudes should I assign at the various locations?
From what I have heard, DJI Waypoints do not allow editing of negative altitude values. You would need Litchi for that.

EDIT: Sorry for the duplicate. Previous post was not there while I was typing....

So when I am flying my Mavic 2 Pro, and it says I am 100 feet high, how is that measured? Relative to the ground below the drone? (And how does it do that?) Relative to Home? If it's the latter, doesn't that mean that in certain circumstances your altitude might be a negative number — if you launch from a mountaintop and fly down slope?

Relative to Home (takeoff point 0 altitude) and yes you can get negative altitude when flying into an area lower than your takeoff point.

It measures altitude with onboard barometers and down facing sensors when close enough.

Edit: and I make number three. I think he’ll get the point. Being a pilot, don’t over complicate the use of your drone. Unlike certified aircraft that have calibrated altimeters, consumer level drones do not use adjustable barometers so the takeoff point is your zero reference.

Last edited:
Thank you all for those helpful answers. I look forward to exploring negative numbers!

Thank you all for those helpful answers. I look forward to exploring negative numbers!

Be careful because the altitude is based on Google Maps elevation and not always accurate.

Case in point, my Frenchman's Mountain fail in Las Vegas.

The craft was to maintain a 150ft AGL along the route.
Video is 2X speed until...
3 minutes to crash, 3 hours for recovery.
Once I got to the top, I measured elevation with my iPhone.
It was off by 155ft thinking it was higher than it was actually.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wqb3