DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

dumbest video ever!

BadgerDrone

Reactions
I used to get into some pretty big trouble when I was younger and one day I decided to smarten up. When you get in trouble a lot you end up learning the laws really quickly. Like liability for example. Most people don’t realize how heavy duty liability laws and cases can be. Did you know if you were at a four way stop sign and you wave somebody through and they get hit and killed you are the responsible party and can be sued and imprisoned.

I just saw video “Mavic pro unlock hack 1 mile altitude“. This braindead kid is teaching people how to go into the firmware and modify their Mavic to be able to have no ceiling limit. He says repeatedly he doesn’t think it’s a good idea then he shows exactly how to do it. If you teach somebody exactly how to do something, even in though you say I don’t advise it, if they do it and say you taught them you are still liable. This is much different then a video for “educational purposes”. I believe it’s called “Criminal Mentoring”.

Not to mention this kid is making our hobby look bad and a much bigger issue is he’s really endangering peoples lives.

I’m not going to post the video but I really want to know your thoughts...

I used to get into some pretty big trouble when I was younger and one day I decided to smarten up. When you get in trouble a lot you end up learning the laws really quickly. Like liability for example. Most people don’t realize how heavy duty liability laws and cases can be. Did you know if you were at a four way stop sign and you wave somebody through and they get hit and killed you are the responsible party and can be sued and imprisoned.

First, no and no. But I won't get into it as this is not the right forum.

Is something illegal about what he's doing? If so, report to the video host. This is against Youtubes TOS. If it's not illegal (flying that high in the US is usually not) then just ignore the video and/or feel free to give it a thumbs down which will help keep it from people's feeds.

First, no and no. But I won't get into it as this is not the right forum.

Well, I guess this is not a concern for some but it kind of bothers me ... he’s teaching a lot of people how to risk peoples saftey... I don’t wanna come off as a curmudgeon so I’ll just shut up now :(

Well, I guess this is not a concern for some but it kind of bothers me ... he’s teaching a lot of people how to risk peoples saftey.. :(

I don't disagree. However, I could point to a few million videos that do this same thing. Shall I add up the number of tide pod videos or the number of excessive speed videos, etc. that have been posted on the Internet. Granted, those are a little different in that they don't show people how to effect a change that allows this.

You also have this forum, where it's been pointed out to me, where information like that is (now) allowed.

Keep in mind, modification of the software and firmware _might_ be illegal in its own right. The person holds a license to use the software and firmware, they don't own it. However, there is some case law (Apple comes to mind) where this is allowed to some degree.

Please don't take my post as the end all. You are 100% encouraged to speak your mind.

You have to realize that there is only so much you can do about stupid people. And there are a lot of them. You can always flag the video, or email them about it. You can also forward it to DJI, and maybe they can patch the bypass.

Reactions: BadgerDrone
I don't disagree. However, I could point to a few million videos that do this same thing. Shall I add up the number of tide pod videos or the number of excessive speed videos, etc. that have been posted on the Internet. Granted, those are a little different in that they don't show people how to effect a change that allows this.

You also have this forum, where it's been pointed out to me, where information like that is (now) allowed.

Keep in mind, modification of the software and firmware _might_ be illegal in its own right. The person holds a license to use the software and firmware, they don't own it. However, there is some case law (Apple comes to mind) where this is allowed to some degree.

Please don't take my post as the end all. You are 100% encouraged to speak your mind.

Well, I definitely appreciate the knowledge you give... but it still bums me out that guys are being so selfish as to not worry about airplanes because they want to fly a UAV....
Selfish mentality

You have to realize that there is only so much you can do about stupid people. And there are a lot of them. You can always flag the video, or email them about it. You can also forward it to DJI, and maybe they can patch the bypass.
Good call about DJI

"he’s teaching a lot of people how to risk peoples saftey."

Ummm, that can apply to about a hundred other non drone related safety issues, if it bothers you and you don't agree than that's fine,
but really what more can you / we do about it, we can "what if" all day, what good will it do ?

I still see virtually no drone related issues compared to the myriad of other nutso things happening in the world today.

Reactions: BadgerDrone
ive seen that vid, i think hes in a different country, what hes doing may be totally legal in his country, morally,,,,,, thats a debate, as mentioned theres a millionn utube vids on how to and theres websites u can pay for software to hack your bird, dji made it harder with firmware but for every engineer dji has on staff theres 10fold the amount of nerds willing to take the time to try and hack it,
just like apple products,,,,, they are pretty tough but theres always some one that can get into them,,,,,jail broke iphone is the best iphone, unleashes its full potential,
there will always be some talented nerd one step ahead of any engineers dji has on staff and to be honest i think dji likes the attention, they are getting free advertising,
i have to admit it was those vids flying in the clouds that pushed me over the fence to want a drone and what drone was flying in the clouds,,,,,,, a dji drone,,,,, great advertising for them.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
ive seen that vid, i think hes in a different country, what hes doing may be totally legal in his country, morally,,,,,, thats a debate, as mentioned theres a millionn utube vids on how to and theres websites u can pay for software to hack your bird, dji made it harder with firmware but for every engineer dji has on staff theres 10fold the amount of nerds willing to take the time to try and hack it,
just like apple products,,,,, they are pretty tough but theres always some one that can get into them,,,,,jail broke iphone is the best iphone, unleashes its full potential,
there will always be some talented nerd one step ahead of any engineers dji has on staff and to be honest i think dji likes the attention, they are getting free advertising,
i have to admit it was those vids flying in the clouds that pushed me over the fence to want a drone and what drone was flying in the clouds,,,,,,, a dji drone,,,,, great advertising for them.

The original video the dude is in a Scandinavian country I believe but there is a video of a guy in the states who shows the video and how to do it ... but all that apparently is remedy now because someone just mentioned on this thread that they have fixed it ...

Reactions: YesreBob
"he’s teaching a lot of people how to risk peoples saftey."

Ummm, that can apply to about a hundred other non drone related safety issues, if it bothers you and you don't agree than that's fine,
but really what more can you / we do about it, we can "what if" all day, what good will it do ?

I still see virtually no drone related issues compared to the myriad of other nutso things happening in the world today.
Besides the legal entities people in the community should really speak up against that, that’s the kind of thing that’s going to cause problems with the hobby, but I’ve said my piece and now that some update made that not possible we are all good now...

The original video the dude is in a Scandinavian country I believe but there is a video of a guy in the states who shows the video and how to do it ... but all that apparently is remedy now because someone just mentioned on this thread that they have fixed it ...
That being said, if you are running older software or have an older Mavic with an internal SD card that you can roll back to .700 or earlier, than you can still do those mods.

I just saw video “Mavic pro unlock hack 1 mile altitude“. This braindead kid is teaching people how to go into the firmware and modify their Mavic to be able to have no ceiling limit. He says repeatedly he doesn’t think it’s a good idea then he shows exactly how to do it. If you teach somebody exactly how to do something, even in though you say I don’t advise it, if they do it and say you taught them you are still liable. This is much different then a video for “educational purposes”. Exact same thing if you have a video of an A.R. 15 can you show someone how to make it fully automatic. I believe it’s called “Criminal Mentoring”.

Not to mention this kid is making our hobby look bad and a much bigger issue is he’s really endangering peoples lives.

People like that are a "BLISTER ON THE *** OF SOCIETY" ... Blatant disrespect for the law and others...can only hope he gets busted and they choose him to make an example of...just saying

Besides the legal entities people in the community should really speak up against that, that’s the kind of thing that’s going to cause problems with the hobby, but I’ve said my piece and now that some update made that not possible we are all good now...
Agreed!! Really bad representation. Reminds me of someone that goes thru the trouble of getting a CCW and then walking around open carrying grandiose and possibly placing ones self and others in an unsafe position. Sends a bad signal to an already strained viewpoint with people

I was about to post a video on how to use the flame from a candle to heat the mavic pro and fashion it into a small sword. Are you saying that I might be making a mistake that will cost peoples lives by doing so?

(sarcasm of course)

Well, how is this any more dangerous that stock?
Airplanes routinely fly lower than stock height of 1600 ft. I submit that every airplane must fly from some ground level to their flying height. However, not all airplanes fly above 1 mile, helicopters, little airplanes, crop dusters, etc. Every airplane by nature must fly low to land and take off. Flying higher and higher is less traveled.
You might argue that flying higher is using less traveled space than flying low.
I submit that there are probably many many more people flying low and doing dumb things than the few that travel high up. Crashing a drone into a plane going 300mph or more at 4,000 ft might more more dangerous and less likely to recover than hitting one at 2-3 miles up at 5-600 mph.
Falling out of the sky, terminal velocity and killing someone by falling on their head is reached at stock heights of 1600 also. Thus is falling from 1000ft less dangerous than 1 miles? Probably not; both would be bad. Well at least human terminal velocity that is.
In as far as flying hight that is.

Last edited:
Close minded is more the term I'd use. People that look at life thinking the sky is going to fall at every turn or if someone does something out of their comfort zone. Basing things on conjecture rather than fact. [sigh]

Exactly..."their comfort zone". They expect that their zone should be "everyone's" zone.
When does it become too much? One could easily argue that a drone falling from 50 feet is quite dangerous and thus no one should be flying above 50 feet. Sarcastically speaking, I could logically and soundly argue, "I don't think anyone should ever fly over land, only open water". Anyone flying over land, endangering animals, people, or anything for your simple drone enjoyment is utterly stupid and irresponsible. That is my comfort zone; anything else is reckless.
Where does one draw the line? Can one be drawn?
DJI drew the line originally at unlimited by allowing users to adjust the height.
DJI then drew it at 1600 feet and stopped allowing users to set it.
FAA "recommends" 400 feet
USA doesn't specify any height
Other countries dictate what they wish
Fellow fliers think?? 100 ft?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929