DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing drone footage in Premiere Pro

thomasjsangster

Reactions
can Simone help me with Premiere Pro settings. I have imported my raw footage and it looks awful in PP when editing. Not sure if my sequence settings are wrong or what I need to do. I reached out to Adobe but they haven’t responded to me at all. I can send examples if needed. I filmed in 4096x2160. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

if you are on about the small box whilst editing the quality will be awful, its scaled down and live rendered. Its not until you export it (you can then decide the output settings).

Reactions: tictag
Just getting back to editing video after not doing it for many years so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Maybe the way you setup the project from the beginning was wrong. Does the current PP have a way to base the settings of the project on the first imported video file or something similar? At least then your base settings would be in line with what you have.

Reactions: thomasjsangster
Does the current PP have a way to base the settings of the project on the first imported video file or something similar? At least then your base settings would be in line with what you have.

Yes - when you drag the first clip into a new sequence, the sequence settings are automatically updated to match the clip.

To the OP, making samples of these "awful" videos available would definitely help.

if you are on about the small box whilst editing the quality will be awful, its scaled down and live rendered. Its not until you export it (you can then decide the output settings).

This is what’s going on. While editing in premiere pro the preview window will show a lower resolution image so as to not overtax your resources.

There should be a drop down menu under the preview window where you can select the res — full, 1/2, 1/4 and so forth.

I have the same experience with Premiere as the OP. I started a thread concerning the issue here
Export subclip as an exact duplicate of origina... | Adobe Community
While I didn't directly refer to Mavic Pro clips in the thread this was what I was editing on a PC.

The transcoding options in Premiere are not very successful for Mavic MOV files in my experience. I was only getting decent results using Cineform but the file sizes were huge. If I used "Match settings" the results looked terrible inside PP and in other programs. For me the best solution was to use Windows 10 Films and TV to launch the video editor in Photos and trim clips there then assemble them in PP. Win 10 Photos would do some transcoding and change the file type from MOV to mp4 but the results were usable.

I did find that PP export from 2.7k to 1080 final render reduced the artifacts visible in the 2.7k.

Problems are greatest in areas of similar colour and texture. I suspect this is to do with the compression algorithm used when the MP writes from the camera sensor to the memory card

Agree with other commenters, you're likely looking at a dumbed-down resolution to fit your system whilst editing, the final render will be full quality. If you do want to edit in full quality, you can, there's a drop-down just to the right of the program viewer (and source viewer), change to 'Full' to view at full resolution.

Note: editing 4K footage like this will require a fast system. You have been warned! :)

2018-05-20_19-04-59.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000