DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing software.

• Thread starter Deleted member 85071
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 85071

Greetings. Can anybody recommend some simple editing software for a beginner? You know, stitch some videos together, crop them, add music. Effects and things like that can come later. Thanks.

Here's a vid I made lately. Loving my drone, starting to get more comfortable with it. Snow

You can find a list of commonly used editing apps here. Check out the videos on YouTube if you need help with the app of your choice.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
If you have a recent iPad, the LumaFusion app is a full-featured, dead simple video editing program. It even comes with royalty free music, you can't beat it. Drag & drop, pop in transitions, add music, export to cloud/youtube/your PC, etc. It's fantastic. It's even compatible with LUTs.

If you are limited to a computer, DaVinci Resolve is free and is a fully featured professional editor, but has more of a learning curve (lots of YouTube tutorials available though).

I was adviced the Da Vinci code Resolved... And later i found out why is that not working for me... It supports (minimum requirements) windows 10 only... I have 7... And not planning to move on anything else for instance...
If you have a recent iPad, the LumaFusion app is a full-featured, dead simple video editing program. It even comes with royalty free music, you can't beat it. Drag & drop, pop in transitions, add music, export to cloud/youtube/your PC, etc. It's fantastic. It's even compatible with LUTs.

If you are limited to a computer, DaVinci Resolve is free and is a fully featured professional editor, but has more of a learning curve (lots of YouTube tutorials available though).

I was adviced the Da Vinci code Resolved... And later i found out why is that not working for me... It supports (minimum requirements) windows 10 only... I have 7... And not planning to move on anything else for instance...

Given that W7 is a 10-year-old operating system, you may find it difficult to find programs that support it. Might be time for an upgrade :)

You have a very nice website by the way - I was lucky enough to visit Slovakia in 2017 and it was a beautiful place.

Reactions: afarkas
if you want a free software, then Resolve is pretty much the best option to go with.
you may look at this thread, but, i would say - it will be way easier to move to Win10.
Blackmagic Forum • View topic - Resolve 15 and Win7

also make sure to download DJI LUT file to convert dlog-m colors. it is very easy to do in resolve.

I have used iMovie on my iPad Pro to edit 4K video from my M2P and it is very simple to learn and outputs perfect video. And it’s already included on most recent iPads.

I will take a look at LumaFusion to see what it might add - thanks CanadaDrone.

Hi CanadaDrone,

I just took a look at LumaFusion on the IOS App Store. It looks like a fairly powerful editor for $20. I also noticed that it got several bad reviews with complaints about lost video, etc. How long have you been using it and have you had any problems?

Ken

Hi CanadaDrone,

I just took a look at LumaFusion on the IOS App Store. It looks like a fairly powerful editor for $20. I also noticed that it got several bad reviews with complaints about lost video, etc. How long have you been using it and have you had any problems?

Ken

I’ve used Luma for about a year now and it’s amazing. Never “lost video”. If you obviously save the finished video to your device it can’t possibly be lost. If you are still in the process of editing your video or you have not saved a finished project and you delete original files from your camera roll (that have been transferred from your SD card) then the video clips will not remain in Luma. I’m assuming that’s what they’re upset about. Works amazing w 4K footage on ipad Pro.

No, it is not time to move on 10 or anything else. Until now 7 is the most reasonable.
Given that W7 is a 10-year-old operating system, you may find it difficult to find programs that support it. Might be time for an upgrade :)

You have a very nice website by the way - I was lucky enough to visit Slovakia in 2017 and it was a beautiful place.

Hi CanadaDrone,

Ken

I've been using it for a couple years now - never had a single issue with lost video, and there are so many ways to back up your projects (even before they are done) I personally think it is near impossible to lose your project outside of user error. I can't imagine how one would lose it if you are diligent with backups. The few reports I've read about lost projects could all have been avoided. When you do a project backup, you can backup just the clips (smaller overall file) or you can back up the entire project including full source videos (much larger), so there is full optionality there. You can do wireless backups to the cloud, to your PC, to an external hard drive, etc. etc.

The support team is incredibly responsive, and it's a small company so you actually talk to engineers not generic support staff. They are constantly adding features and improvements. It's a very popular program, so there are lots of YouTube walkthroughs and support articles to get familiar with everything.

It also has built-in integration for Western Digital My Passport Wiresless hard drives as well as the Gnarbox. You can do wireless backups to them, and what is even more handy is within LumaFusion, you can scrub through footage on the external drive wirelessly, and when you insert a portion of a clip into your video, it only downloads the portion that it needs, saving tons of space - it's really slick, especially for travel.

The only thing it can't do is lens corrections, so if you use the Mavic 2 Pro in 10bit Dlog, you can still edit as normal with LumaFusion but at some point you will need to feed your video through something capable of lens corrections. I've spoken to their engineers and they told me it's a high priority feature for them to add but it isn't available yet. That is pretty much the only thing it can't do, and in every other way is a full featured editor.

Right now they are sitting at a 4.8 / 5 on the Apple Store with 5,500 reviews so you can see the general user base is overwhelmingly satisfied with the app. $20 is a steal, especially since it's a one-time fee. I would have happily paid $100 now that I know how powerful it is. It runs best on a newer iPad Pro but to my knowledge it will still work on a regular iPad - newer the better.

Reactions: Nomade
I’ve used Luma for about a year now and it’s amazing. Never “lost video”. If you obviously save the finished video to your device it can’t possibly be lost. If you are still in the process of editing your video or you have not saved a finished project and you delete original files from your camera roll (that have been transferred from your SD card) then the video clips will not remain in Luma. I’m assuming that’s what they’re upset about. Works amazing w 4K footage on ipad Pro.

Even if you delete all the source files from the iPad, you can re-import the clips back onto the iPad (assuming you still have the originals somewhere) and drag and drop the entire clips onto the cut clips on the timeline and they will automatically repopulate. It's quite clever.

One caution with iCloud, if you get a new iPad and do a full restore from the old iPad, Apple actually re-names all the video files when you restore them on the new/destination iPad, and it will confuse LumaFusion (this is an Apple problem not a LumaFusion problem), but that would only be an issue if you never did any project backups and deleted all the original footage. This also is not an issue with any other cloud service (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. are all fine ) - only iCloud has this limitation.

Thanks for the info.

I've been using it for a couple years now - never had a single issue with lost video, and there are so many ways to back up your projects (even before they are done) I personally think it is near impossible to lose your project outside of user error. I can't imagine how one would lose it if you are diligent with backups. The few reports I've read about lost projects could all have been avoided. When you do a project backup, you can backup just the clips (smaller overall file) or you can back up the entire project including full source videos (much larger), so there is full optionality there. You can do wireless backups to the cloud, to your PC, to an external hard drive, etc. etc.

The support team is incredibly responsive, and it's a small company so you actually talk to engineers not generic support staff. They are constantly adding features and improvements. It's a very popular program, so there are lots of YouTube walkthroughs and support articles to get familiar with everything.

It also has built-in integration for Western Digital My Passport Wiresless hard drives as well as the Gnarbox. You can do wireless backups to them, and what is even more handy is within LumaFusion, you can scrub through footage on the external drive wirelessly, and when you insert a portion of a clip into your video, it only downloads the portion that it needs, saving tons of space - it's really slick, especially for travel.

The only thing it can't do is lens corrections, so if you use the Mavic 2 Pro in 10bit Dlog, you can still edit as normal with LumaFusion but at some point you will need to feed your video through something capable of lens corrections. I've spoken to their engineers and they told me it's a high priority feature for them to add but it isn't available yet. That is pretty much the only thing it can't do, and in every other way is a full featured editor.

Right now they are sitting at a 4.8 / 5 on the Apple Store with 5,500 reviews so you can see the general user base is overwhelmingly satisfied with the app. $20 is a steal, especially since it's a one-time fee. I would have happily paid $100 now that I know how powerful it is. It runs best on a newer iPad Pro but to my knowledge it will still work on a regular iPad - newer the better.

Thanks for your insight. Unfortunately, I tend to focus on the negative reviews a bit too much and actually sometimes I wonder if they’re not just trolls or competitors trying to drag down a good product. I have the last gen iPad Pro but it runs iMovie fine so I think I’m good to go. Thanks again.

Ken

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Greetings. Can anybody recommend some simple editing software for a beginner? You know, stitch some videos together, crop them, add music. Effects and things like that can come later. Thanks.

Here's a vid I made lately. Loving my drone, starting to get more comfortable with it. Snow
I use Adobe premier Elements for video which is easy to use and Photoshop which is not for a beginner but elements is.

Je me glisse dans la discussion pour confirmer que Davinci version Resolve 15 est un excellent produit gratuit.
Pour les abonnés à Photoshop CC vous bénéficiez depuis peu de PREMIERE RUSH CC qui offre de bonnes fonctionnalités sans être au niveau des softs payants. Regardez dans votre panneau Adobe Creative Cloud il figure sous Lightroom.

Thanks for your insight. Unfortunately, I tend to focus on the negative reviews a bit too much and actually sometimes I wonder if they’re not just trolls or competitors trying to drag down a good product. I have the last gen iPad Pro but it runs iMovie fine so I think I’m good to go. Thanks again.

Ken

Yeah I think most negative reviews are generated by people who did not take the time to learn how the program works and got burned - probably the odd product troll too. I can understand being upset over losing a project or something, but that is very much avoidable. Regardless, they are an incredibly small percentage compared to the 5-star reviews.

I used it a lot on the last gen 2017 iPad Pro (10.5") as well and honestly I can't tell a difference now that I have the newest 2018 11" model - both are plenty fast and you'll have no problem with a 2017 generation iPad Pro.

One note about Premiere Rush mentioned above - to my knowledge it can only export in 1080P which is a show stopper for most people shooting 4K drone footage.

[QUOTE = "CanadaDrone, post: 668691, membre: 60585"] Ouais, je pense que la plupart des critiques négatives sont générées par des personnes qui n’ont pas pris le temps d’apprendre comment le programme fonctionne et qui ont été brûlées - probablement le troll produit étrange aussi. Je peux comprendre que je sois bouleversé par la perte d’un projet ou de quelque chose, mais c’est tout à fait évitable. Quoi qu'il en soit, ils représentent un pourcentage incroyablement faible par rapport aux critiques 5 étoiles.

Je l'ai aussi beaucoup utilisé sur le dernier iPad Pro gen 2017 (10.5 ") et honnêtement, je ne peux pas faire la différence, maintenant que j'ai le dernier modèle 2018 11" - les deux sont très rapides et vous n'aurez aucun problème avec un iPad Pro de la génération 2017.

Une remarque à propos de Premiere Rush mentionnée ci-dessus - à ma connaissance, elle ne peut exporter qu'en 1080p, ce qui constitue un obstacle pour la plupart des gens qui tournent des images de drones 4K. [/ QUOTE]

c'est inexact, on peut exporter en 4K je viens de vérifier dans les paramètres d'exportation, même si par défaut c'est en HD.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke