DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Electrical contacts of the drone with the battery.

mario54

Reactions
I do not know if it can be useful, I occasionally clean the contacts of the drone with a small piece of cardboard covered with paper towels, wet with a deoxidizer for electrical contacts, because I think that where a lot of electric current passes, after a while some light forms carbon deposits that could compromise the operation of the drone.I would like to know what you think.

Attachments

• DSCN2508.jpg
    DSCN2508.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN2509.jpg
    DSCN2509.jpg
    626 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCN2511.jpg
    DSCN2511.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCN2510.jpg
    DSCN2510.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: mereflyer
Anyone who has studied a bit of electricity will know that where a lot of electric current flows (on the mavic 2 a lot of it flows ..) and there are contacts, a black patina similar to graphite forms, which produces an electrical resistance that over time reduces the passage of current; it is no coincidence that the contacts of the drone where the battery goes are golden. Referring to StantonZ who made some irony about this discussion, the day he sees his drone fall, he will not be very happy!

Reactions: Galeforce1
Anyone who has studied a bit of electricity will know that where a lot of electric current flows (on the mavic 2 a lot of it flows ..) and there are contacts, a black patina similar to graphite forms, which produces an electrical resistance that over time reduces the passage of current; it is no coincidence that the contacts of the drone where the battery goes are golden. Referring to StantonZ who made some irony about this discussion, the day he sees his drone fall, he will not be very happy!

Been into Electronics since I was 14 (56 now and retired) took 11th and senior year vocational electronics highschool , Got a EET from DeVry, served 10 years in Marines in a Electronic field.. 6 years with General Dynamics Electronics division on B2 bomber program. All that aside..DJI used to use two large contacts (+&-) from battery, they have now changed that to several of small contacts with same voltage at pins to disperse current and allow multiple contacts of power, nonetheless I have used this for 8 years and since buying my DJI's https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT®-Gold-Mini-Spray-Contact-Conditioner/dp/B000RGD9QE/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=DeoxIT®+Gold&qid=1606593612&sr=8-10 As DJI uses gold plated connections.

Attachments

• Deoxit.jpg
    Deoxit.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Been into Electronics since I was 14 (56 now and retired) took 11th and senior year vocational electronics highschool , Got a EET from DeVry, served 10 years in Marines in a Electronic field.. 6 years with General Dynamics Electronics division on B2 bomber program. All that aside..DJI used to use two large contacts (+&-) from battery, they have now changed that to several of small contacts with same voltage at pins to disperse current and allow multiple contacts of power, nonetheless I have used this for 8 years and since buying my DJI's https://www.amazon.com/DeoxIT®-Gold-Mini-Spray-Contact-Conditioner/dp/B000RGD9QE/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=DeoxIT®+Gold&qid=1606593612&sr=8-10 As DJI uses gold plated connections.
DeOxit is a good product, I've used it on expensive camera equipment for lens contacts and the hot shoe.

Electromen, unfortunately that product is currently unavailable, however I think that even the good WD40 can be useful.

Electromen, unfortunately that product is currently unavailable, however I think that even the good WD40 can be useful.
And experts would disagree :pLink: Never use WD-40 for electrical connections. Dust and dirt magnet..not something that should be put anywhere near power contacts ;) Especially something that is relying on power to keep it in air

That's odd, I just ordered it.

Repaid1, of course I'm in Italy and precisely in the Marche region.DanMan32,even if the contacts are gold plated, if you clean them as I indicated in the attached photos, you will see that the paper you clean them with will become dark ....

I believe the contacts are gold plated which minimizes oxidation. Except for the Minis, there's no power to cause sparking until you turn on the battery. You shouldn't be plugging or unplugging the battery while it's on.
there is no current flow even in the MM or Mini 2 unless you try to remove the battery while it is turned on ,you should never connect any battery into a live circuit as it will spark as it makes contact

Reactions: careless
Repaid1, of course I'm in Italy and precisely in the Marche region.DanMan32,even if the contacts are gold plated, if you clean them as I indicated in the attached photos, you will see that the paper you clean them with will become dark ....
I was responding in reference to you saying it was out of stock when Electromen said he just ordered it. :) He is in the USA and I pointed out that you are in Italy...So not the same "Stock". ;)

I think that the one shown in the attached photo is equally valid, being specific for electrical contacts.

Attachments

• DSCN2508.jpg
    DSCN2508.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 6
Anyone who has studied a bit of electricity will know that where a lot of electric current flows (on the mavic 2 a lot of it flows ..) and there are contacts, a black patina similar to graphite forms, which produces an electrical resistance that over time re
That still doesn't tell me where the carbon comes from.
The only time I have seen black deposits on electrical contacts is when there has been arcing and as far as I know arcing only occurrs when a current is interupted by an air gap.
No current, no arcing....am I wrong?

DanMan32, I think gold also provides low resistance contacts ...... possibly due to the lack of corrosion/oxidation.

Reactions: Little bird
That still doesn't tell me where the carbon comes from.
The only time I have seen black deposits on electrical contacts is when there has been arcing and as far as I know arcing only occurrs when a current is interupted by an air gap.
No current, no arcing....am I wrong?

DanMan32, I think gold also provides low resistance contacts ...... possibly due to the lack of corrosion/oxidation.
I go with it like this and other than that I could care less as I am not into all of the discussion :p When you don't have a solid connection and in this instance you don't, it is spring loaded. And you have a vibration that is induced which we have, Your going to have float of contact area at some level, the theory is that indeed you "Can" have arcing however minute. And if you have arcing and contaminates on the contacts then you will have at minimum some type of build up that could form (Not necessarily carbon persay). And in my best forrest gump voice.....that's all I have to say about that. ;)

Reactions: mereflyer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78