DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emergency Propeller Stop

airbuspilot

Reactions
I decided to try out the Emergency Propeller Stop from a few hundred feet up.

The motors turned off and the drone reached a top speed of 48 MPH in free fall.

I couldn't restart the motors by commanding a climb. I probably should have tried the Emergency Propeller Stop command again or pressing the RTH button.

Time for a $69 replacement!screen-20210806-200611_exported_26343.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: MA2 317
At least we know it works.

That command wouldn't work on the Spark although it was listed in the manual.

The motors may have restarted if you did the command again. I've seen a video of it happening in the past with a Mavic.

Thanks for sharing.

I couldn't restart the motors by commanding a climb. I probably should have tried the Emergency Propeller Stop command again or pressing the RTH button.
the RTH button would have done nothing, it couldn't the motors were not running.
You should have tried your "Emergency Propeller Stop" commonly known as "CSC". It might not have worked, due to excessive tilts, but if the drone happened to pass through an 'acceptable tilt' as it fell and the CSC stick position was being held the motors might have restarted.

Could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post the flight log ( txt and or DAT )? If they can be read / decrypted, it would be VERY interesting to see the MA2's attitude as it fell. Or perhaps any video recorded by the drone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to try out the Emergency Propeller Stop from a few hundred feet up.

The motors turned off and the drone reached a top speed of 48 MPH in free fall.

I Recommend everyone Practice how to do this from your Dinning Room table. To learn the skill and why its so difficult for drone to Restart.

Watch the Video Below : This will show at what angles the Drone will Restart and only if you have the Sticks already pulled down into Position and than you hold those Stick down until at some point the drone finds the angle to Power Up.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the water.

I Recommend everyone Practice how to do this from your Dinning Room table. To learn the skill and why its so difficult for drone to Restart.

Watch the Video Below : This will show at what angles the Drone will Restart and only if you have the Sticks already pulled down into Position and than you hold those Stick down until at some point the drone finds the angle to Power Up.

Phantomrain.org
Those wet suits look very cool, definitely going to be putting this on my wish list along with a rescue suit. Hopefully the kids can fulfill this come bday,xmas, or dads day. Thanks for the share, good video.

Phantomrain.org
On the free fall down, the drone remained in a level pitch attitude. The error message from motors off to crash was a constant "Navigation System Error".

I'm guessing had I done the CSC with sufficient altitude, the drone would have recovered and hovered.

the RTH button would have done nothing, it couldn't the motors were not running.
You should have tried your "Emergency Propeller Stop" commonly known as "CSC". It might not have worked, due to excessive tilts, but if the drone happened to pass through an 'acceptable tilt' as it fell and the CSC stick position was being held the motors might have restarted.

Could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post the flight log ( txt and or DAT )? If they can be read / decrypted, it would be VERY interesting to see the MA2's attitude as it fell. Or perhaps any video recorded by the drone?
I looked at the flight logs.

4 min 57.9s = Level hover 508.5 ft., no control inputs
4 min 58.3s = Level hover 508.5 ft., Emergency Propeller Stop input
4 min 58.7s = Descending 507.9 ft., Emergency Propeller Stop input
4 min 59.1s = Descending 504.9 ft., Emergency Propeller Stop input
4 min 59.5s = Descending 501.3 ft., Emergency Propeller Stop input

END OF FLIGHT LOG

Thanks but what I am looking for, if you are willing to supply them, is copies of the actual logs for the flight in their entirety or possibly a link to the txt log on airdata. They / it contain information about the pitch and roll of the drone and it is the pitch and roll I am interested in to see if the drone wobbles to extreme angles during the free fall.

EDIT

DUHH I was not thinking, the txt flight log will end with the motor stop, the desired data would have to come from the DAT and that is, at a guess, unreadable.
HOMER moment, sorry.

The next best bet would be video from the drone or a screen capture video of the phone's screen. I did a mid air motor stop and restart with a Phantom and from what I saw on the phone's screen the drone fell in a stable flat spin. However, looking at the DAT log showed that it wobbled quite a bit but remainded upright.
The gimbal did one HECK of a good job!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phantomrain.org
Nice, good to know.

Reactions: Mtnrider
Here's a Mavic Pro test.

Attachments

• PXL_20210807_020709779~9.jpg
    PXL_20210807_020709779~9.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 30
Not too bad.

Change the arm, props, and duct tape the camera back in position

Good as new. ?

For everyone's enjoyment, courtesy of DJI Care Refresh ?

Was this done on purpose? If so with the bottom sensors covered you could restart mid-air. Or if they are uncovered and it did not pitch more than 35 degrees it would also be possible. As i see that seems to be the degree mark max zone.

Was this done on purpose? If so with the bottom sensors covered you could restart mid-air. Or if they are uncovered and it did not pitch more than 35 degrees it would also be possible. As i see that seems to be the degree mark max zone.
Intentional shutdown.

I didn't think of using CSC to re-start motors.

Well, this brings an interesting question to my mind, considering if that same ~45-degree angle tilt off axis is enough to initiate a prop shutdown, if one happened to be flying when a very high gust of wind were to strike the (in my case, Mini 3 Pro) drone & it tilted to or past the ~45-degree mark, would that cause the props to shut down & cause the craft to fall out of the sky?

Attachments

• Screenshot_869.jpg
    Screenshot_869.jpg
    909.1 KB · Views: 9
Well, this brings an interesting question to my mind, considering if that same ~45-degree angle tilt off axis is enough to initiate a prop shutdown, if one happened to be flying when a very high gust of wind were to strike the (in my case, Mini 3 Pro) drone & it tilted to or past the ~45-degree mark, would that cause the props to shut down & cause the craft to fall out of the sky?
The simple answer to this is No , these same angles that stop the Motors from not starting do not apply to once the Motors have started and the drone is flying. It is very difficult to shut the motors down in flight at any angle unless your using the Emergency Shut Down with the sticks and have the setting engaged.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Land on the Water.

Reactions: Marcass Carcass
...if one happened to be flying when a very high gust of wind were to strike the (in my case, Mini 3 Pro) drone & it tilted to or past the ~45-degree mark...
That's not how a drone is affected by strong winds or sudden strong gusts... winds will never turn a drone upside down or even past the specified max allowed tilt angle, it will only be pushed horizontally while the drone is tilted to max angle to resist the drift.

I can see from where the idea comes that a drones tilt angle can be pushed uncommanded by strong gusts though ... if studying a hovering drone in gusty winds it seems to be rolling & pitching wildly ... but that's not the wind pushing it, instead it's the flight controller that tries to keep position & prevent a drift... if the gusts are strong, comes in a quick succession & perhaps also comes from slightly different directions the drone will utilize max tilt angle... first into one direction then quickly after into another direction. So that behavior can be wrongly interpreted as it's the gusts that tilts the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan