DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emirates accept drones as checked-in baggage only

Has anyone gone through the baggage scans in Dubai and able to provide info on what happens there?
Haven't done it with a drone, but I had the 'fun' of traveling via there last year with a ham radio and lifepro4 battery in my hand luggage (IATA recommendation that consumer electronics went in hand luggage). All my stuff out of the backpack, they picked on the ham radio as a 'walkie talkie', pointed to a list of forbidden items in hand luggage and promptly told me they were confiscating it. Cue about 5 minutes of quite heated conversation (not recommended at Dubai security!) Before I ripped the internal battery out and tossed it on the desk. (Rather sacrifice £45 worth of battery than a £600 radio!)
They then reluctantly let me through after seeing that it couldn't be turned on. They didn't, thankfully, realise that the 96wh battery in my bag would be able to power the thing!
Found another scanner as we went to board the plane (just transitting, never left the airport) where they tried to do the same....
Not my favourite airport. Put everything in checked baggage on the way back (except lifepro4 battery which went in hand luggage) only to find that the checked baggage had been 'delayed'. Got it the next day, obviously having been opened and rummaged through (not really complaining about that as it was quite full of electronics and antenna wires!) But that could have been in Melbourne, or Dubai.

Never had so much hassle in 4 years of taking my radio stuff anywhere!

It may be better now of course.........

Reactions: Mikewilltakeyouto
Just got home from China, where I bought a Spark. Flew Emirates, Hong Kong -> Dubai -> Europe.

Spark with two batteries in cabin baggage, no issues whatsoever, never even had to put it separately in a bin (put smartphone and tablet there, still had e.g. wireless hard drive in my backpack as well) when going through the security checks.

It's not a Mavic, but not that much smaller...

I bought my MP in Dubai, checked in in my hand luggage with 3 batteries, flew to Brazil.

No problem.

I just returned home to Australia from a big Europe trip and travelled through Dubai and many European countries with my Mavic in my camera backpack with no issues whatsoever. I also had my spare battery and remote all together.

I realised i may have been lucky with this then :

i flew 2 times in/via Dubai this year, with no issues whatsoever

First time in april . was going to Paris but spent 4 days of vacation in Dubai (i even flew the Mavic in the city ~yeah i know it's not allowed)...my Mavic was always in my cabin luggage and TSA never even bothered to look at it as i remember

Second time, in june. was also going to Paris but this time just transiting through Dubai airport : Mavic still in cabin backpack and no issues at all.

both above flights were with Emirates of course.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried taking the mavic into the cabin on emirates and passed through dubai airport security? :)

Our flight is next week through dubai to southeast asia
Just checking to see if you had any issues with your Mavic as hand luggage on Emirates passing through Dubai Int. Airport ?

That's good to hear. I am travelling from New Zealand to South Africa in 2 weeks time flying Emirates and transitioning through Dubai Int. Airport which have a "no drones in cabin luggage" policy ,,, so whilst you may have got through security Ok, doesn't necessarily mean I will ... this is what scares me ... so am in a dilemma ... take a chance like you did, or just put my Mavic in with my checked luggage ... with the possibility of it being stolen on the South African side ... now do you see my dilemma :)

if i were you i would do this : remove the propellers from the drone and store them in another location of your bag

Remove the battery and put it in a specific lipo battery bag if you have, otherwise just in another location

The craft without battery and wihout propellers looks a bit less like a drone for the average TSA staff

Maybe that would be enough to fool them

I just can't imagine DUBAI TSA confiscating a +1000 € drone from the hands of a passenger...but who knows

in worst situation, when they see the drone without propellers and battery and if they insist that it is indeed a forbidden drone, you can still pretend it is broken and you came in Dubai (or elsewhere) to have it repaired.

if i were you i would do this : remove the propellers from the drone and store them in another location of your bag

Remove the battery and put it in a specific lipo battery bag if you have, otherwise just in another location

The craft without battery and wihout propellers looks a bit less like a drone for the average TSA staff

Maybe that would be enough to fool them

I just can't imagine DUBAI TSA confiscating a +1000 € drone from the hands of a passenger...but who knows

in worst situation, when they see the drone without propellers and battery and if they insist that it is indeed a forbidden drone, you can still pretend it is broken and you came in Dubai (or elsewhere) to have it repaired.
It is a bit of a gamble either way ... check it in with my main luggage and risk it being stolen ... or take a chance and bring it as carry-on luggage and risk dealing with a Dubai security officer who is perhaps having a bad day and refuses to allow it on, simply referring to their no drone policy with hand luggage ... I suppose I must pick my poison :)

yes, that's indeed a gamble...i myself don't know what i will do next time i fly to Dubai since i go there pretty often and all those recent discussions got me a bit scared

i would say the risk of the checked in drone to be stolen is only valid when flying to some specific risky destinations.

Other than that the only main risk is to have the drone and especially camera, broken after being choked left and right...

i have a hard case bought on amazon, but i will definitely think of putting that hard case into a bigger even harder case in my future trips through Dubai...in case i don't want to take the chance to have it with me in cabin

yes, that's indeed a gamble...i myself don't know what i will do next time i fly to Dubai since i go there pretty often and all those recent discussions got me a bit scared

i would say the risk of the checked in drone to be stolen is only valid when flying to some specific risky destinations.

Other than that the only main risk is to have the drone and especially camera, broken after being choked left and right...

i have a hard case bought on amazon, but i will definitely think of putting that hard case into a bigger even harder case in my future trips through Dubai...in case i don't want to take the chance to have it with me in cabin
Unfortunately for me South Africa is one of those risky destinations

Hi. I am travelling through Dubai via Emirates as well. I check the website and the prohibition is noticeably absent. Could this be that the airline now allows drones in carry-on baggage? Cabin baggage rules | Baggage | Before you fly | Emirates Philippines

What is the policy for transporting Dangerous Goods? | Baggage and lost property | Emirates

Yes its still there ... about 7th paragraph down. However they don't seem to enforce it ... I've just returned from South Africa back to New Zealand via Dubai with my Mavic in my hand luggage without any issues.

I realised i may have been lucky with this then :

i flew 2 times in/via Dubai this year, with no issues whatsoever

First time in april . was going to Paris but spent 4 days of vacation in Dubai (i even flew the Mavic in the city ~yeah i know it's not allowed)...my Mavic was always in my cabin luggage and TSA never even bothered to look at it as i remember

Second time, in june. was also going to Paris but this time just transiting through Dubai airport : Mavic still in cabin backpack and no issues at all.

both above flights were with Emirates of course.

Where did you fly in the city in Dubai? Did they have a lot of surveillance? Any tips flying in Dubai?

Im wondering how Emirates would even know whats in your carry on bags unless you tell them? Pretty much every airline uses a 3rd party baggage handler and airport security, x-ray and searches aren't done by the airline. After checkin the airline pretty much has nothing more to do with you until on the plane.

The problem is not when you're leaving an airport outside of Dubai, but if/when you have to go through security at DXB, where presumably any such restriction might be enforced.

I'm flying from UK to Australia via Dubai on Emirates on Sunday.
Has anyone done this route (or vice versa) recently? WHERE DO I PUT THE MAVIC BATTERIES?!?!
Be glad of your comments, thanks.

Reactions: radman
Wow i cant believe all these new rules coming in for drones, its turning into a nightmare.
At this rate soon they will be doing swab tests to make sure your not carrying a drone, or even "would you mind accompanying me to a side room sir, we have reason to believe you may be concealing a drone about you person" as he pings a rubber glove on :eek: :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots