DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Emirates accept drones as checked-in baggage only

nemesis3

Reactions
Has anyone flown with Emirates transiting through Dubai with their Mavic? Did you put the Mavic in checked-in baggage or take as cabin luggage?

On their site I have just come across:

Drones are not allowed as cabin baggage
For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage.​

What is the policy for transporting Dangerous Goods? | Baggage | FAQs | Emirates

I didn't really fancy putting it in with checked-in baggage.

Reactions: Diamond Bayou
I really don't get the rule. So apparently they want the drone itself without its batteries in checked-in baggage, but the lithium batteries themselves are supposed to be in cabin baggage. But if the lithium batteries are the safety concern here, then why should they care whether the drone itself is in checked-in baggage or cabin baggage? Surely they don't expect that someone is going to attempt to fly a drone within the passenger cabin?

Reactions: RSV4 and Mr Spock
How will the airline know what's in your cabin baggage? You're checked by airport security but that is a different set of rules. Anyhow, it's a bummer that they are starting to have rules about drones in cabin baggage. But at the same time I am not surprised. People are staring to be paranoid about drones. I recently travelled to Hawaii from Canada and I didn't want to take any chances with airport security so I put my Mavic in my checked luggage. I was stopped only once by airport security to check the batteries that were in my carry-on. The guy read the label and put them back in the bag. Didn't even ask what they were for.

I did a little digging on this. It appears that Dubai requires ALL airlines coming to or from Dubai to enforce putting drones in checked baggage. It's legal to fly there but you must get a license before doing so. They have very strict laws there in regards to privacy.

Since Emirates is based in Dubai, I imagine they enforce it regardless of whether or not it even departs or arrives Dubai.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Last edited:
The next step will be to have the dreaded and all fearsome drones kept in a locked case in which the pilots will have the only key. We will also eventually require a conceal carry permit for the Mavic because its a compact drone that can be hidden on your persons.

I do t see the big deal... it's the airline rules just follow it. Get a hard case or put it in between your clothing in your checked bag. It's no gold, it's just a drone, it'll be fine

I will also fly with Emirates over Dubai to the Maledives. Did anyone try to take it in the cabin baggage? I don't want to lose my new drone with my luggage - and they treat your luggage very well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using MavicPilots mobile app

Funny this is brought up here as I have been researching the exact same thing in the last few days, and decided against bringing my drone to the Maldives via Dubai for my upcoming trip. The UAE is very strict with drones, and operating one near Dubai is asking for trouble (because of the previously mentioned privacy laws). Then after researching my hotel (the Hilton Maldives), I read a lot of comments telling people to leave their drones at home. Not only does it upset people on vacation (granted), but they also brought up the fact that many resorts have outdoor showers (which I didn't previously consider) and other private areas 'in your room' but open from above. Operating it anywhere on Rangali island (and many others) has been really frowned upon. I haven't personally been there, but I think I would feel the same way in a tropical villa style resort. I would be interested in what others feel about this, because I was really looking forward to getting some great footage there - but am now kinda bummed.

I just found out the rule about drones on emirates flights :(

We are flying to asia with only cabin lugguage and we packed for maximum 7kg. One small bag and everything with us. Its a bummer that i have to check in the mavic now. Of course its my own fault. What would you do in this case? Is it even possible to just check in a mavic in a hrdcase without anything else? We dont have lugguage to check in :/

I decided to put the the mavic into a hardcase (without battery) and then into my backpack. going to slip a protecting cover over the backpack and check that in. i dont want to get into trouble at the security in dubai airport.

Reactions: MavicChris89
I decided to put the the mavic into a hardcase (without battery) and then into my backpack. going to slip a protecting cover over the backpack and check that in. i dont want to get into trouble at the security in dubai airport.
Yeah, that's the same way I will do it.
I will also put my batteries in lipo bags and also put the controller in my cabin bag. - > also lipo battery!

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried taking the mavic into the cabin on emirates and passed through dubai airport security? :)

Our flight is next week through dubai to southeast asia

So the less-than-100wh rule is uniform for international travel right??

Perhaps taking your multicopter on as tagged carry-on that then gets stowed in cargo is the way to go in this case. The batteries of course need to be stored in cabin as carry-on that you keep with you. They may have concerns that a fired up multicopter will be used as a weapon. Could be nasty with carbon-fibre blades.

I did a little digging on this. It appears that Dubai requires ALL airlines coming to or from Dubai to enforce putting drones in checked baggage.
Can't take a Mavic in the cabin, but you can take a flying bird of prey with flesh rending talons.

Maybe just stick a tassled hood over the gimbal and give it the right one of those printed vinyl wraps?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried taking the mavic into the cabin on emirates and passed through dubai airport security? :)

Our flight is next week through dubai to southeast asia
Hello, we are flying from Amsterdam to Dubai and from Dubai to Kuala Lumpur. Did you manage to take the mavic into the cabin? Thanks in advance for your reply!

I took the safe option on my flights last week and left it in the check-in. The ground staff in Sydney said it was OK to take in the cabin when I asked, and there aren't any cabin baggage checks in Sydney.

But, you still have the baggage scans in Dubai, and that was what I was concerned with. Has anyone gone through the baggage scans in Dubai and able to provide info on what happens there?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan