DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

Thanks for the info if you do this can you use most of the Play Store apps

Most of them can be used, it's the one which require licensing that need the full google apps store functionality

Reactions: chuck1026
Just to be clear...if you pre-order the Epson Moverio BT-300 FPV Drone Edition glasses via Pre-launch Ready to Order you will receive the Rochester shade bundled with the package. The standard package does include a dark tinted shade which seemed fine in direct sunlight. The Mavic RC mount will have to be purchased separately from here Moverio Accessories by moverio7 - Shapeways Shops
yes, my set came with none.
additional cost
I think they should give them in all packages
They are very expensive glasses and in field you just may need them

wish there was a better solution than the solitaire ace black cover for full immersion, what I really like is the big screen when you look at distance , for example when I look at a wall that is 10 meters always the screen is huge, compared to when I look at a wall for example that is 4 meter away. The further the distance and the further the eye sight the bigger the screen, which is really amazing. This works so well at night. I was really so so so impressed by that, I felt as if I was in movie theater at night looking at the screen on a wall that was 10 meters away, Simply amazing. But in the day due to light from surrounding areas you can not get the same picture as at night, and your only option is the solitaire ace but with that you can only get small screen as your line of sight is very close. I really wish to find a way to get the huge screen effect at day time with the same clear picture as when its night when looking at distance walls that are 10 meters or more away. Any suggestions please or thoughts

Last edited:
So I take it there is still no way to run Litchi, DroneDeploy etc.?

Yes, some people have been running Litchi 4.0.2 , not sure about Drone Deploy.

But I've tried UCGS and Drone Harmony

wish there was a better solution than the solitaire ace black cover for full immersion, what I really like is the big screen when you look at distance , for example when I look at a wall that is 10 meters always the screen is huge, compared to when I look at a wall for example that is 4 meter away. The further the distance and the further the eye sight the bigger the screen, which is really amazing. This works so well at night. I was really so so so impressed by that, I felt as if I was in movie theater at night looking at the screen on a wall that was 10 meters away, Simply amazing. But in the day due to light from surrounding areas you can not get the same picture as at night, and your only option is the solitaire ace but with that you can only get small screen as your line of sight is very close. I really wish to find a way to get the huge screen effect at day time with the same clear picture as when its night when looking at distance walls that are 10 meters or more away. Any suggestions please or thoughts

Well what I Typically do is “look” into the back of my back pack. As if it was a “screen” and you adjust it to the size you need it to be :) most drone bags are black or darkish color so that can be a quick and easy way of doing it and of course if it’s a dusk or night flight you will remove the shades :)

After almost a year of flying with my moverios I tried flying with my iPhone as a screen maaan I would never go back to fly with a phone !!!

Well what I Typically do is “look” into the back of my back pack. As if it was a “screen” and you adjust it to the size you need it to be :) most drone bags are black or darkish color so that can be a quick and easy way of doing it and of course if it’s a dusk or night flight you will remove the shades :)

yes there are many way to do that, but what I mean is to get that big screen as if you look at far wall, compared to a surface that is very close to you. As you know the further your surface and bigger is shows a bigger pic perception. At night no issues at all, I am just trying to find a way to replicate it at daylight, looking far and have that big screen. Maybe I am not expressing myself clearly as I am new to all this technology,

thanks

yes there are many way to do that, but what I mean is to get that big screen as if you look at far wall, compared to a surface that is very close to you. As you know the further your surface and bigger is shows a bigger pic perception. At night no issues at all, I am just trying to find a way to replicate it at daylight, looking far and have that big screen. Maybe I am not expressing myself clearly as I am new to all this technology,

thanks

It's a bit harder to do in the daylight, I think all that can be done is max out the screen brightness, the solitaire enclosure blocks out the light, but limits the perceived screen size as your not looking into the distance

I have reached out to the engineers at Rochester optical in the past about using different lenses to try and magnify the image, but they said it was practically and optically impossible.

The CEO, Patrick Ho came back with this answer

"Your idea of magnifying the screens of BT-300 can be done but it means a radical re-design of the optics system.

The magnification of dual screens is more than adding lenses in front of it. Let’s use a binocular as an illustration.
  1. Your pupils have to line up with the center of the lenses. (BT-300 has a fixed displays distance of 66mm. what is your PD?).
  2. There is a dual lens set up that is telescopic that allows you to focus on the screen hence the bulkiness of most VR headset.
  3. The higher the magnification, the narrower the FOV (Field of View)
  4. The higher the magnification, the dimmer is the image.
  5. The higher the magnification, the lower the image quality.
In s nutshell, it is a whole lot more complicated than by just adding magnifying lenses to the lens insert."

So I think we'll be limited in trying to make the image optically larger, but maybe Epson could make it brighter via a firmware upgrade.

It's a bit harder to do in the daylight, I think all that can be done is max out the screen brightness, the solitaire enclosure blocks out the light, but limits the perceived screen size as your not looking into the distance

I have reached out to the engineers at Rochester optical in the past about using different lenses to try and magnify the image, but they said it was practically and optically impossible.

The CEO, Patrick Ho came back with this answer

"Your idea of magnifying the screens of BT-300 can be done but it means a radical re-design of the optics system.

The magnification of dual screens is more than adding lenses in front of it. Let’s use a binocular as an illustration.
  1. Your pupils have to line up with the center of the lenses. (BT-300 has a fixed displays distance of 66mm. what is your PD?).
  2. There is a dual lens set up that is telescopic that allows you to focus on the screen hence the bulkiness of most VR headset.
  3. The higher the magnification, the narrower the FOV (Field of View)
  4. The higher the magnification, the dimmer is the image.
  5. The higher the magnification, the lower the image quality.
In s nutshell, it is a whole lot more complicated than by just adding magnifying lenses to the lens insert."

So I think we'll be limited in trying to make the image optically larger, but maybe Epson could make it brighter via a firmware upgrade.

thanks so so much for all this explanation, let me tell you this I have the glyph and after getting the bt300 I decided to sell the glyph and keep the bt300, as it is simply amazing for its form factor.

The Moverio display is a virtual screen, equivalent to looking at an 80 inch screen from 5 meters. The image is projected onto your eyeballs. It is not projected onto external surfaces, like a distant wall, so the apparent image size is the same no matter what is in front of the glasses. That is the purpose of augmented reality. You may perceive that it is bigger, but that is because it is being displayed in front of something further away, which looks smaller in comparison. In other words, the virtual screen will appear to cover more of the background, when the background is further away. But the virtual screen is always the same size. When I use my Solitaire Ace and view the screen with the shade in place, and then remove the shade and view it in front of a distant wall, the virtual screen size appears the same.

Reactions: FL AV8R
The Moverio display is a virtual screen, equivalent to looking at an 80 inch screen from 5 meters. The image is projected onto your eyeballs. It is not projected onto external surfaces, like a distant wall, so the apparent image size is the same no matter what is in front of the glasses. That is the purpose of augmented reality. You may perceive that it is bigger, but that is because it is being displayed in front of something further away, which looks smaller in comparison. In other words, the virtual screen will appear to cover more of the background, when the background is further away. But the virtual screen is always the same size. When I use my Solitaire Ace and view the screen with the shade in place, and then remove the shade and view it in front of a distant wall, the virtual screen size appears the same.

that is good news as I did not receive the solitaire yet, I just assumed that would be the case.
So you say you perceive the same size image with the soltaire on as if you look at 10m distant wall. that would be awesome

what an interesting nickname ;)

that is good news as I did not receive the solitaire yet, I just assumed that would be the case.
So you say you perceive the same size image with the soltaire on as if you look at 10m distant wall. that would be awesome

what an interesting nickname ;)

I think you can partially simulate the solitaire by putting on the darkest shade and using your hand to stop the light from coming over the top, it is just an enclosure that blocks out all the extraneous light.

thanks so so much for all this explanation, let me tell you this I have the glyph and after getting the bt300 I decided to sell the glyph and keep the bt300, as it is simply amazing for its form factor.

Yes the Glyph are too cumbersome compared to the Moverios. The Bt300 advantage for me is that you can see the drone and the feed at the same time. Its great to line up your shot and then check the video feed.

Is it true that Epson are soon to release a big update to resolve the present day issues and further enhancements?

Reactions: FL AV8R
I think you can partially simulate the solitaire by putting on the darkest shade and using your hand to stop the light from coming over the top, it is just an enclosure that blocks out all the extraneous light.

Or use a Cap :)

Is it true that Epson are soon to release a big update to resolve the present day issues and further enhancements?

What would those present day issues be ?

What would those present day issues be ?
Pixalation/latency, access to the play store easier access to third party Apps

I was wondering why eposn can not make a software to adjust IPD for different eyes as being done on some mixed reality windows headsets

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr