DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

Wow! Got the Rochester Ace 2.0 enclosure and it is way more comfortable! Creates a True VR environment and paired with Bluetooth Bose 35s I can now use the Moverios as advertised! Also love the FPV[emoji1360]

I just ordered the BT-300 glasses from B&H earlier this evening. I learned about the Rochester Ace 2.0 enclosure from an earlier
thread. I visited Rochester's website to learn more about the Ace 2.0 but found their description of this accessary a little confusing.

Would you mind explaining to me just what the enclosure is (the pictures of the Solitaire sun shield appears to be the same as the Ace 2.0 enclosure, the only difference being the color of the clip on lenses). Does the enclosure come with a lenses(s) or blackout shield, and how does it fit onto the BT-300? Thanks in advance.

The Ace is an enclosure for the glasses. The BT-300 fits into the Ace. It has a head strap and foam face mask, instead of the temple arms and nose pieces of the BT-300. It comes with a blackout shade that attaches with magnets. You can buy additional sun shields that also attach magnetically to the Ace.

I have Litchi working as well on the BT-300 see the youtube installation process earlier in the thread, follow the order of installation exactly for the best results

Well we ( @spiderpig & myself) braved the elements today and tested the new Epson Moverio BT-300 (Drone Edition) Smart Glasses, it was 32 degrees with a windchill of 20ish outside.

1st impressions-well-made, high quality and a slick contemporary look. They come packed in a semi-hardshell zipper case and all the components fit easily/neatly inside. Unlike my Cinemizer's case where it takes me 5 minutes to get all the cables precisely packed in order to zipper the case.

The "Drone Edition" will ship w/Phantom/Inspire mount, dark lens shades (not sure about the brand of sunshades) and DJI GO 4.0 App installed (the DJI GO app may be updated by release date). A Mavic mount is available via Moverio Accessories by moverio7 - Shapeways Shops

The Moverios run on an Android OS and navigation around the OS is performed via a built-in track-pad on the controller. The biggest issue I had was using the track-pad, I use an external mouse on my laptops because of my lack of finger control, but that's no reflection on the responsiveness of the track-pad. @spiderpig had no issues using it.

The glasses felt light & comfortable on my face. I am nearsighted and did NOT wear my glasses, though there is an included extended nose bridge which allows the user to wear the Moverio over their glasses. Depending on the users' facial features (i.e. wide, narrow, big nose, etc.) the glasses will be worn differently for each. Meaning further up or down on the bridge of the users nose. Back to me "not wearing my glasses...when looking through the Moverios at the image on the glasses it was like viewing a 40+" television.

The sun was directly over our heads and not a cloud in the sky, thus I opted to mount the included Rochester Optical sunshade to the glasses which takes about 5 seconds to install. A little longer on cold days due to me shivering!

Connected the Moverio controller to the Mavic RC via the USB port and fired both of them up, then turned on the Mavic. Upon takeoff the first thing I noticed was that the sun was NOT a factor at all and purposely flew directly into it. The Moverio image was as crisp as if I were back in my office.

3 minutes into the flight I said "WTF" the latency was at least 20 second if not worse. I did not experience any latency when I bench tested them a day earlier in my office and thought that the cold could have been the issue.

I brought the Mavic in and exited the DJI GO app in order to look at what was running in the background of the Android OS. Sure enough I notice that there were 2 versions of the DJI GO app running. Between my ineptness for the track-pad and shivering, I must have clicked/tapped it twice.

Took off again and there was NO measurable latency whatsoever.

I have a pair of Fatshark Dominator V3 and Cinemizers. Flying with the BT-300 glasses is an entirely different experience. I never enjoyed flying with the totally enclosed style goggles and always found myself lifting them from my face in order to view the attached tablet/phone. Flying with the Moverios is like flying with a semi-transparent tablet right in front of your face.

In conclusion, if you're looking for an option to fly FPV, along with still having VLOS then the Moverios are the ticket. We created a video and @spiderpig will be editing it along with posting it soon. It should also be noted that @spiderpig flew with the Moverios too and he'll surely add his opinion.

Oh and we flew an entire battery for the test.

Hi Anthony, great review. I received my New Moverio BT-300 Drone Edition yesterday and thanks to your review I now know what to expect and not to click on the GO-4 icon twice. In California it's the only way to go due to the Law FAA Part 107 that requires the pilot to always keep the drone in (VLOS) visual line-of-sight at all times. Have a Merry Christmas!

Reactions: EpsonMoverio
Hi Anthony, great review. I received my New Moverio BT-300 Drone Edition yesterday and thanks to your review I now know what to expect and not to click on the GO-4 icon twice. In California it's the only way to go due to the Law FAA Part 107 that requires the pilot to always keep the drone in (VLOS) visual line-of-sight at all times. Have a Merry Christmas!

Watch out for the latest version of the DJI Go4 app on the Moverio Apps store, I'm having some latency issues

Just tried out my glasses for the first time tonight--indoors. So far, I'm very disappointed, but thought I'd post my experience to see if perhaps I'm missing something critical that I'm not doing right. I did search this thread to see if I could find some answers--learned a lot, but nothing that seemed to help my situation, though I think perhaps others may have some similar issues though not as bad.

I'm flying a Phantom 4 Pro (yes, this is a Mavic forum; but there seems to be more activity here regarding these glasses than on the Phantompilots site); so I'm not sure if Mavic Pilot's experiences are generally better; though both drones use the same Go 4 app.

1) Lag is really bad. It's almost a second long between full deflection yaw input, and when anything changes on screen. Not that I thought it would improve things, but I also tried mirroring with AirPlay on my iPhone, and that lag went up to two seconds. Meanwhile, I don't even notice any lag when using my iPhone or iPad directly in the same situation (with the drone hovering three feet away).

2) The screen appears pretty small to me. I aligned it up with my 55" TV, and had to stand 4 meters away before I got a similar size diagonally--that's a little smaller than the 80" TV at 5 meters that the specs call out. Perhaps I'm missing a configuration in the settings somewhere?

For me the lag is a killer. I have closed down all other apps that are running (at least I think I have by clicking the little "X"s at the top right corners of other app windows--I'm new to Android). One of the main reasons I wanted to get these was to have something to use on bright days when not much shade is available and still have some confidence of seeing where I'm going when flying in close quarters... but reacting to an obstacle 1 second after I've hit it, isn't very comforting. An iPad Air 2 screen is nice but on bright days the feed looks washed out. I may have to go the crystalsky route; though they have their own issues too.

For me the lag is a killer. I have closed down all other apps that are running (at least I think I have by clicking the little "X"s at the top right corners of other app windows--I'm new to Android). One of the main reasons I wanted to get these was to have something to use on bright days when not much shade is available and still have some confidence of seeing where I'm going when flying in close quarters... but reacting to an obstacle 1 second after I've hit it, isn't very comforting. An iPad Air 2 screen is nice but on bright days the feed looks washed out. I may have to go the crystalsky route; though they have their own issues too.

Try turning off the video cache and turn the transmission speed to hd or smooth
I am testing what frame rates and quality this is occurring with at this stage it's all 4k modes, but setting the "smooth" transmission setting and stopping the cache does help.

I'm finding the latency only occurring when the DJI Go4 is recording video, so it has something to do with interference or transmission.

Will try a lower recording quality next, I think it's just the bloat of the DJI Go4 version 4.1.18 effecting everything as 4.1.15 was perfect

The small pixelation disappears as the drone moves further away, so it must be some sort of interference (2.4ghz) , so turn off wi-fi and bluetooth on the BT-300

Last edited:
Did some more testing

On the Spark there is no perceived latency and pixelation at all, even when recording and strangely this is when using wi-fi to connect to the Spark controller

You would have thought the latency and pixelation over a wi-fi network would be bad but this is not the case, go figure that one out.

On the Mavic, their are no significant latency issues but pixelation kicks in on and off when recording video in C4k and 4k
I've notice there is no pixelation is you use 2.7k quality and below

I have stopped all forms of caching and have cleared the video cache from time to time which seems to remove the pixelation.

I am not sure why I'm not getting the latency issues, but it maybe because I am using the Titan whip antennas with a higher gain over stock.

Next test tomorrow with the P4P , so that we can narrow it down to the Mavic firmware as being the issue as so far there is no issue with the Spark.

Reactions: skyeboysteve
Try turning off the video cache and turn the transmission speed to hd or smooth
I am testing what frame rates and quality this is occurring with at this stage it's all 4k modes, but setting the "smooth" transmission setting and stopping the cache does help.

I'm finding the latency only occurring when the DJI Go4 is recording video, so it has something to do with interference or transmission.

Will try a lower recording quality next, I think it's just the bloat of the DJI Go4 version 4.1.18 effecting everything as 4.1.15 was perfect

The small pixelation disappears as the drone moves further away, so it must be some sort of interference (2.4ghz) , so turn off wi-fi and bluetooth on the BT-300
I can't find a "smooth" option on the menu--is this a Mavic option? I think I understand what you were suggesting though, and turned my video bitrate to the lowest setting of 4Mbps on the 5.8Ghz band. I didn't think to try 2.4Ghz to see if that would make a difference; though I'd much prefer using 5.8Ghz as there's hardly ever any other traffic on that band; as most of my 107 flights are around buildings with lots of hardware operating at 2.4Ghz. I also turned off video caching (though not sure if that was an issue as I didn't try recording any video anyway during the test). I used a stop watch and and now get about 600-700ms lag--so it's much better than before--just wish it was as good as the iPad / iPhone itself. I have no interest in shooting in anything less than 4K--unless I want to get a faster frame rate (which I've never used so far); but not sure if that faster frame rate would also lead to lag issues.

I've heard that Epson is coming out with their own, more optimized app at some point in the near future--currently in Beta? Perhaps that will help, but at this point I'm thinking of sending this unit back before my 30 day return window disappears. It's too bad the hardware can't seem to keep up with the software; but I also know the Go 4 app isn't the best written software for performance efficiency either.

I can't find a "smooth" option on the menu--is this a Mavic option? I think I understand what you were suggesting though, and turned my video bitrate to the lowest setting of 4Mbps on the 5.8Ghz band. I didn't think to try 2.4Ghz to see if that would make a difference; though I'd much prefer using 5.8Ghz as there's hardly ever any other traffic on that band; as most of my 107 flights are around buildings with lots of hardware operating at 2.4Ghz. I also turned off video caching (though not sure if that was an issue as I didn't try recording any video anyway during the test). I used a stop watch and and now get about 600-700ms lag--so it's much better than before--just wish it was as good as the iPad / iPhone itself. I have no interest in shooting in anything less than 4K--unless I want to get a faster frame rate (which I've never used so far); but not sure if that faster frame rate would also lead to lag issues.

I've heard that Epson is coming out with their own, more optimized app at some point in the near future--currently in Beta? Perhaps that will help, but at this point I'm thinking of sending this unit back before my 30 day return window disappears. It's too bad the hardware can't seem to keep up with the software; but I also know the Go 4 app isn't the best written software for performance efficiency either.

At this stage I'd send it back and buy it again when the Epson comes up with the newer software.

The other option is too downgrade to DJI Go4 1.4.15, see this link from Tonye53

DJI Go 4 Fallback to 4.1.15

Reactions: skyeboysteve
At this stage I'd send it back and buy it again when the Epson comes up with the newer software.

The other option is too downgrade to DJI Go4 1.4.15, see this link from Tonye53

DJI Go 4 Fallback to 4.1.15
Thanks for the link. I didn't notice any performance difference with 4.1.15. Also it didn't seem to make any difference if I had the video feed set at 4Mbps or higher, or which band (2.4 vs 5.8).

I did notice that at least with 4.1.15, you get BOTH a map and bearing/attitude indicator; although the map won't display anything other than streets. The latest Go 4 app has a satellite map, but turns off the bearing indicator when the map window is open and vice-versa even though they're on opposite corners of the screen from each other... I'm kind of amazed at the obvious bugs that get through.

Another annoyance I've picked up on, is that these glasses refuse to connect to wifi when I first turn them on--not automatically or manually. I have to go to settings and turn the wifi radio off and then back on first; at which point it then automatically connects to a previously saved wifi network. Also, I've found that after starting the Go App, I'll lose wifi connection, and cannot reconnect until I've cycled the wifi off/on once more.

Glad it helped.

I am really liking what I am seeing with these EPSON Moverio BT-300
What I don't like is of course is the $800 price along with the added $36 to add the RC mount.

It they were $650 with EVERYTHING included, I would have them ordered!!!

Glad to see that we are finally getting real options!!!

*UPDATE*
I got the MT-300FPV for Christmas from Amazon and it included "for a limited time" the 2 piece mounting plate for Mavic Pro and Spark!
v8RUg23ifWVSbair1
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v8RUg23ifWVSbair1

Hi ! Back up again :)
WHile the german website (that i followed)has 4 steps and wants a reboot after the first the US website i linked to only has 3 apk's AND google music (that we dont want / need) without reboot.
Both seem to work if followed through so i guess the US version with only 3 apk's and no reboot is the winner by a margin :)

The important stuff probably is to have google services up & running which is accessed by Go Maps somehow...

Ender
I'm a new BT-300 user... I followed the steps from the US site (sort of):
1. Downloaded the zip file from Google Play Music files for Amazon Fire TV.zip and extracted them.
2. Installed "1 GSF" (Google Account Manager)
3. Rebooted
4. Installed "2 GMS" (Google Play Services)
5. Installed "3 vending" (Google Play Store)
Signed in to Play Store and yup, got the error and closed.

All seemed good... then got an error to update Google Play Services, and when I tried to install a new copy of Maps it crashed... hence the Dec 2017 added steps (subject to change):
6. Download Google Play Services v11.745 from google play services search results | APKPure.com
7. Download Maps Navigation Transit v9.64.1 from same site.
8. Install them both (GPS then Maps).
Poof!!! New sexy Google Maps works.

Now DJI Go 4 cleanup and reload...

Your mileage may vary so good luck. I never would have gotten this far without the other steps on page 22!!! Thanks guys!!!

Congratulations on your BT-300 Christmas present. I've had a pair for about 3 weeks now and I absolutely love em!
Have you had a chance to use them? If so what are your impressions?

Haven't flown with them yet but I've been side loading apks and getting used to them. I already bought a pair of the Rochester polarized shades. I'll review then in more detail soon.

If you're concerned about running the GO4 app on the BT300 controller, I have also had no issues with it in the two weeks that I've had it. And I've found a possible solution to that as well. The BT300 has a miracast receiver built in, so you can run a screen mirroring app on your phone or tablet, run GO4 there, and then mirror the screen to the Moverio. Haven't flown this way yet, but I was running GO4 on my phone and using the glasses as the display. There seemed to be very little lag when scrolling through the menus and watching some of my flight videos.

I want to try the Splashtop Mirroring360 Airplay Receiver that's available in the Moverio appstore. This app normally costs $20 but Epson is providing it for free. You can get the Mirroring360 Airplay Sender app for your android phone/tablet/ipad, also currently for free in the Play store. And you can use Airplay on iOS if that is your preferred device.

So if you're concerned with running GO4 on the Moverio controller, just plug your current favorite device into your Mavic and mirror the screen to the Moverio. Best of both worlds. It is easy to see the drone view and also keep your eyes on the controller, and the Mavic itself, with these glasses.

That's the other thing I like about these Moverios - they are very versatile.

You can also go the other way with casting from the moverio to a tablet. You have 2 options in the mirroing bits....to and from....

Reactions: FL AV8R
Haven't flown with them yet but I've been side loading apks and getting used to them. I already bought a pair of the Rochester polarized shades. I'll review then in more detail soon.

I have used them with Spark and in comparison to the DJI Goggles, I love the non-immersive feel. I need my LOS and these are perfect for me.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82