DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPSON Moverio BT-300 Review

Anthony Viscomi

Reactions
Well we ( @spiderpig & myself) braved the elements today and tested the new Epson Moverio BT-300 (Drone Edition) Smart Glasses, it was 32 degrees with a windchill of 20ish outside.

1st impressions-well-made, high quality and a slick contemporary look. They come packed in a semi-hardshell zipper case and all the components fit easily/neatly inside. Unlike my Cinemizer's case where it takes me 5 minutes to get all the cables precisely packed in order to zipper the case.

The "Drone Edition" will ship w/Phantom/Inspire mount, dark lens shades (not sure about the brand of sunshades) and DJI GO 4.0 App installed (the DJI GO app may be updated by release date). A Mavic mount is available via Moverio Accessories by moverio7 - Shapeways Shops

The Moverios run on an Android OS and navigation around the OS is performed via a built-in track-pad on the controller. The biggest issue I had was using the track-pad, I use an external mouse on my laptops because of my lack of finger control, but that's no reflection on the responsiveness of the track-pad. @spiderpig had no issues using it.

The glasses felt light & comfortable on my face. I am nearsighted and did NOT wear my glasses, though there is an included extended nose bridge which allows the user to wear the Moverio over their glasses. Depending on the users' facial features (i.e. wide, narrow, big nose, etc.) the glasses will be worn differently for each. Meaning further up or down on the bridge of the users nose. Back to me "not wearing my glasses...when looking through the Moverios at the image on the glasses it was like viewing a 40+" television.

The sun was directly over our heads and not a cloud in the sky, thus I opted to mount the included Rochester Optical sunshade to the glasses which takes about 5 seconds to install. A little longer on cold days due to me shivering!

Connected the Moverio controller to the Mavic RC via the USB port and fired both of them up, then turned on the Mavic. Upon takeoff the first thing I noticed was that the sun was NOT a factor at all and purposely flew directly into it. The Moverio image was as crisp as if I were back in my office.

3 minutes into the flight I said "WTF" the latency was at least 20 second if not worse. I did not experience any latency when I bench tested them a day earlier in my office and thought that the cold could have been the issue.

I brought the Mavic in and exited the DJI GO app in order to look at what was running in the background of the Android OS. Sure enough I notice that there were 2 versions of the DJI GO app running. Between my ineptness for the track-pad and shivering, I must have clicked/tapped it twice.

Took off again and there was NO measurable latency whatsoever.

I have a pair of Fatshark Dominator V3 and Cinemizers. Flying with the BT-300 glasses is an entirely different experience. I never enjoyed flying with the totally enclosed style goggles and always found myself lifting them from my face in order to view the attached tablet/phone. Flying with the Moverios is like flying with a semi-transparent tablet right in front of your face.

In conclusion, if you're looking for an option to fly FPV, along with still having VLOS then the Moverios are the ticket. We created a video and @spiderpig will be editing it along with posting it soon. It should also be noted that @spiderpig flew with the Moverios too and he'll surely add his opinion.

Oh and we flew an entire battery for the test.

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-4_17-15-37.png
    upload_2017-2-4_17-15-37.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,531
Last edited:
Thanks for this. Been waiting patiently.
How is the accessory used?

Just to be clear...if you pre-order the Epson Moverio BT-300 FPV Drone Edition glasses via Pre-launch Ready to Order you will receive the Rochester shade bundled with the package. The standard package does include a dark tinted shade which seemed fine in direct sunlight. The Mavic RC mount will have to be purchased separately from here Moverio Accessories by moverio7 - Shapeways Shops

Very interesting. I am between this or the DJI Goggles as soon as more info is out on both.

Just to be clear...if you pre-order the Epson Moverio BT-300 FPV Drone Edition glasses via Pre-launch Ready to Order you will receive the Rochester shade bundled with the package. The standard package does include a dark tinted shade which seemed fine in direct sunlight. The Mavic RC mount will have to be purchased separately from here Moverio Accessories by moverio7 - Shapeways Shops

You stated in this post Rochester, by chance do you mean Rochester, NY by chance? Those glasses look rather cool and appear to be a spin off of google glasses. Is that what they are, I thought goggle shuttered these a few years back?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

You stated in this post Rochester, by chance do you mean Rochester, NY by chance? Those glasses look rather cool and appear to be a spin off of google glasses. Is that what they are, I thought goggle shuttered these a few years back?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
Rochester Optical HOMEPAGE » Rochester Optical make the sunshades that are included with the pre-order.

IMO the only thing that the Moverio glasses have in common with the failed Google glasses are that they are both worn on the bridge of your nose. Here's the best way that I can describe the Moverio glasses to those that have not experienced them

Its like having a Android tablet/phone in front of your eyes that you can see through I guess kinda like a hologram.

1 thing I should note is that while I was configuring everything at my desk I got bored and logged onto my Amazon Prime video account via an app that I side-loaded and watched 10 or so minutes of some stupid Will Ferrell movie. I had to plug-in the earbuds and must say that the overall experience wasn't bad at all. I have a 65" UHD Samsung at home, thus I doubt I would watch many movies on the glasses.

I'm trying to imagine using all the Go App menus and photo adjustments etc. using the Moverio controller. The reason I was interested was to be able to see LPV and the app on my iPad at the same time.

I'm trying to imagine using all the Go App menus and photo adjustments etc. using the Moverio controller. The reason I was interested was to be able to see LPV and the app on my iPad at the same time.
If you're use to working with the trackpad on a laptop then the learning curve should be minimal

Cool. So you can see and manipulate all the same telemetry and menus as are on the iPad/phone?
The GUI (Graphical User Interface) is exactly the same, The use just moves the cursor, which is a small round circle, over the selection and single tap on the track-pad.

How clear is the semi-transparent image in the glasses? Is it hard to make out any of the UI in DJI GO or can everything be seen clearly?

Reactions: Ken Nash
How clear is the semi-transparent image in the glasses? Is it hard to make out any of the UI in DJI GO or can everything be seen clearly?
We were in direct noonish sunlight and had no issue at all viewing the DJI UI. @spiderpig actually thought that the UI was to prominent and was able to clearly view the Mavic through it. I had no issues seeing the Mavic through the UI, thus I assume each user will have to configure brightness accordingly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98