DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Establishing operating procedure with the airport operator?

GH02050

Reactions
I live inside of the five mile radius of a small local airport (no tower). I since I am learning to fly and want to have the Mavic in the air as often as possible. I found this information in an FAA document (not sure if it’s still valid) and was wondering if anyone has used option “(h)” below. I would think calling the airport manager daily would be a hassle for him or her, so I was hoping to get a “blanket COA” (if that’s the correct term for a rec user) or something similar to allow me to fly under 200 feet in the local areas I usually fly. Any information or clarity on this subject would be welcome.

The FAA document wording regarding this is below (again, not sure if it’s currently valid)

Model Aircraft (Hobbyist)

(1) A model aircraft flown strictly for hobby or recreational use.
(2) Most small UAS are owned by individuals and cannot be used for commercial purposes. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation should follow safety guidelines outlined in AC 91-57A which include:

(a) Fly at or below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles.
(b) Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times.
(c) Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations.
(d) Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless the hobbyist contacts the airport operator and control tower (if operating at a tower controlled airport) before flying.
(e) Don't fly near people or stadiums.
(f) Don't fly an aircraft that weighs 55 lbs. or more.
(g) Don't be careless or reckless with the unmanned aircraft – hobbyists could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft.
(h) Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (if operating at a tower controlled airport).
(i) Model aircraft must not operate in Temporary Flight Restriction Areas (TFR), Prohibited Areas, Restricted Areas, Special Flight Rules Areas, or the Washington National Capital Region Flight Restricted Zone, without specific authorization.

Reactions: BigAl07
Think those are the new rules that are not in effect yet. Currently you need to only informe the tower and owner of a flight. Regardless, if you can make some type of arrangement with the owner/tower where you don't need to call them each time, that is fine. The intent of the law is that you communicate your flight with the airport so that both can avoid a collision.

Reactions: BigAl07
You're goal is to come to an agreement with them on when/how you can fly and what amount of notification they want from you. It's called a Letter of Agreement (LOA) and it becomes your Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) when operating from that location.

You'll need to specify what days, times, location(s), altitudes you're allowed to fly. Also how they want notification (if they do). I'd get it written up and have the airport management/owner/operator sign it. Both have a copy on file.

Flying clubs have been doing this for decades with great success. Just keep in mind that whatever you agree to you MUST adhere to that unless it's a life & death emergency.

Let us know how it goes and good luck. Also KUDOS to you for trying to follow the rules and make the effort.

Ninjad by BigAl07
No harm in explaining your intentions to the airport manager and see what he says.
Preferably in person or by letter, if you have a response by letter or he gives the go ahead in writing you have proof its OK if you get questioned.

Thank you all for the feedback.

The local airport manager is away until Sunday so I wont get to speak to him until next week. I will update this thread with the results of that conversation.

I have to say, so far my experience with the notify/approval process has been very positive. I can call in the once in morning and schedule several flights at different locations, times, without any issue. General location, altitude, date, time, duration and my contact information (phone#) is all that is required when I call. It's a pretty straight forward process that takes less than than 2 min. My guess is that this experience will vary by airport but so far so good.

My guess is that this experience will vary by airport but so far so good.
That's most likely going to be the case. Some facilities could care less and give you free reign while others want your first born, a kidney, and keys to your home LOL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goadreams