DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Every wonder if you can fly the Mavic in a flying Jet?

50,000 feet huh? Why was the plane at its maximum service altitude? Just curious. Only certain civilians touch that altitude. Lear 3 sits pretty between 41-47k. Any video?

47,000 is closer to 50,000 than 40,000? Yes!

Lol.

We have a Lear 41 and a Lear 50.

It's a seven seater, one on the potty.

Oldie but a goodie. Yes I have lots of videos and pictures, but not for this place. Sorry.

Reactions: Masheen
We fly in excess of 40,000' on the regular. Two hours up and down for fuel. That's the only downside it won't fly for that long.

Interesting. Maybe if you make sure to drop it straight so it doesn't tumble, but people have been unable to start from a rocking boat before. Kinda playing russian roulette.

The reason you didn't get a GPS lock even at the window was because you were moving too fast for the processor to come up with a solution. Back when GPS was a new thing I would fly with my GPS running (with permission of the captain). I didn't power it up until the no smoking light went out, so by that time we were usually pretty far from the airport. It would take an extremely long time to get a position even when looking at plenty of satellites, mostly because every time it figured out where it was, we had moved several miles. Eventually it would hit just right sometimes about 15 to 20 minutes. This was back in the time of selective availability (SA), so it might be a little faster today but doubtful.

Reactions: MrsTreat
The reason you didn't get a GPS lock even at the window was because you were moving too fast for the processor to come up with a solution. Back when GPS was a new thing I would fly with my GPS running (with permission of the captain). I didn't power it up until the no smoking light went out, so by that time we were usually pretty far from the airport. It would take an extremely long time to get a position even when looking at plenty of satellites, mostly because every time it figured out where it was, we had moved several miles. Eventually it would hit just right sometimes about 15 to 20 minutes. This was back in the time of selective availability (SA), so it might be a little faster today but doubtful.

It works much faster today, and mostly not because SA has gone away but rather because the processors are much faster. Any decent GPS unit will acquire a lock at 500 mph as quickly as it will on the ground. The problem in aircraft cabins is almost entirely the lack of sky view.

I get GPS lock from the window seat on an A320 on a regular basis, get GPS lock on the gps status app, click to google maps and it shows me where I am in real time.

One of my Garmin GPS units was powered up on a flight back from KRSW, it shows a top speed of 538 MPH on the data screen, I have never erased it.

I fly with my Mavic in my carry on all the time .... I'll see if I can get it to power up sometime when I have a row to myself.

(speaking of which, even though I am TSA Pre-Check, I got a bend ober and touch your ankles screening last weekend flying back from Florida.

2 laptops, phone, Mavic, controller, and 3 batteries..... and they were worried about the 3 bananas in my carry on.... hmm what is going to have the higher probability of incident in flight... 3 pieces of fruit, or 3 fully charged 3200Ma/hr lithium batteries?

effn idiots.

if 100LL wasn't so expensive I would fly myself there instead of taking the bleeping air bus

Reactions: MavicCpl15
Yes! Because the lift isn't pressurized. The Cabin of a aircraft is pressurized at the equivalent of 1500' of altitude. So the drone doesn't freak out.
Actually the cabin altitude varies with the type of plane and the plane's flight altitude. It's not uncommon, at the 35,000 - 37,000' cruise altitude range the cabin would be around 7,000'. Upon descent, the landing airport's altitude plays into the equation. I should add that I was referring to typical airliners. I'm not sure about biz jets or pressurized turboprops.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99