DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exaggerated stick input while landing with RTH

Jaydawgx7

Reactions
I just got my Mavic 2 Pro two weeks ago and love it. However, I noticed when using the return to home feature and while the drone is landing, the stick input is all or nothing. When it's about to miss my landing pad by a tad, I try to give it just the smallest amount of stick to center it and it responds as if I gave it 100% stick. It only does this while auto landing, stick inputs are buttery smooth in all other flight modes. Is this normal? I feel like it can't be.. Why would you ever want the drone to have such drastic movements at the most dangerous time (close to the ground, most likely close to yourself, etc...) I tried DJI's online chat and they recommended I factory reset and refresh the firmware on the drone and RC. I did that and also recalibrated the IMU, Compass, and sticks. It still behaves the same way... I can't seem to find any videos about people trying to adjust their landing to see how other Mavics behave. Anyone have any ideas?

Another question I have is about silencing the RTH beep. The manual and everyone in the forums state that you can simply tap the power button on the RC to silence the beep (provided battery isn't below 15%). This does not work for me. Even with a full battery, the RC will beep to acknowledge my button press, the screen flashes once, then continues to beep until it lands... I've watched videos of people using this, but mine just beeps no matter what. I'm on the latest firmware as of today (Nov 19, 2019)

Even without RTH or landing engaged, I have a hard time pinpointing on the pad. May be prop wash causing the drift.

Actually I have a better time centering while it's defending on its landing.

It's not that is difficult to center, it's that the drone behaves completely different... When it's landing on it's own and I give it 5% elev stick, it will instantly go to about a 40 degree tilt as if I gave it full stick in sport mode... When landing manually, and I give it the same amount of stick, it will barely pitch forward as expected

P 19 of the manual:

During RTH, the aircraft’s speed and altitude can be controlled using the remote controller or DJI GO 4, but the flight controller controls its orientation and direction of flight.

He's not talking about controls while it's flying home, but when it's landing. That page quote says nothing about stick sensitivity.

Reactions: Thomas B
He's not talking about controls while it's flying home, but when it's landing. That page quote says nothing about stick sensitivity.
True! Find that I often just bump the sticks in final approach. Behavior seems to occur both with or w/o landing pad.

I just got my Mavic 2 Pro two weeks ago and love it. However, I noticed when using the return to home feature and while the drone is landing, the stick input is all or nothing. When it's about to miss my landing pad by a tad, I try to give it just the smallest amount of stick to center it and it responds as if I gave it 100% stick. It only does this while auto landing, stick inputs are buttery smooth in all other flight modes. Is this normal? I feel like it can't be.. Why would you ever want the drone to have such drastic movements at the most dangerous time (close to the ground, most likely close to yourself, etc...) I tried DJI's online chat and they recommended I factory reset and refresh the firmware on the drone and RC. I did that and also recalibrated the IMU, Compass, and sticks. It still behaves the same way... I can't seem to find any videos about people trying to adjust their landing to see how other Mavics behave. Anyone have any ideas?

Another question I have is about silencing the RTH beep. The manual and everyone in the forums state that you can simply tap the power button on the RC to silence the beep (provided battery isn't below 15%). This does not work for me. Even with a full battery, the RC will beep to acknowledge my button press, the screen flashes once, then continues to beep until it lands... I've watched videos of people using this, but mine just beeps no matter what. I'm on the latest firmware as of today (Nov 19, 2019)

If it looks like my Zoom is going to miss the the RTH mark, I turn off the RTH, put it in T-Tripod mode and easily and smoothly put it down where it belongs. Seems like trying to use the controls manually while landing in RTH would maybe give it some cross control issues that makes yours behave erratically. Just my opinion anyway.

True! Find that I often just bump the sticks in final approach. Behavior seems to occur both with or w/o landing pad.
Notice the same.

If it looks like my Zoom is going to miss the the RTH mark, I turn off the RTH, put it in T-Tripod mode and easily and smoothly put it down where it belongs. Seems like trying to use the controls manually while landing in RTH would maybe give it some cross control issues that makes yours behave erratically. Just my opinion anyway.

Yeah, I'm okay with canceling and landing on my own. I guess I'm just more concerned as to whether this is "normal" and other people have the same experience or whether there's actually something wrong with mine... I'm also concerned that I can't cancel the RTH beep by tapping the power button like others can. Something seems a bit off...

Yeah, I'm okay with canceling and landing on my own. I guess I'm just more concerned as to whether this is "normal" and other people have the same experience or whether there's actually something wrong with mine... I'm also concerned that I can't cancel the RTH beep by tapping the power button like others can. Something seems a bit off...

Mind sometimes, most time is right on the money on the pad. Other times it is a little to 10 or more feet off. Can find no easy reason, have calibrated it and seems to make no difference so am always watching closely when it is coming straight down and jump in when I have to. Just the way it is I guess. I use an iPad 10.5, pretty easy and quick for me to just turn down the volume control on any and all beeping the system feels compelled to make.

Before PL was added, it wasn't uncommon for landing to be up to 10ft off.
To get PL, fly up at least 10ft before flying out.

Sounds a bit like you are fighting the 'autopilot' that takes over when you request a RTH. Remember that the Mavic will carry out the return and land under its own control without input from the controller. If it doesn't like what's underneath when it gets back to where it thinks the take-off point was, it will hover until you down-stick to force the landing. Don't you have to cancel the RTH order to get proper manual control back?

Sounds a bit like you are fighting the 'autopilot' that takes over when you request a RTH. Remember that the Mavic will carry out the return and land under its own control without input from the controller. If it doesn't like what's underneath when it gets back to where it thinks the take-off point was, it will hover until you down-stick to force the landing. Don't you have to cancel the RTH order to get proper manual control back?

That is the way I see it. Never gave any thought to trying to use the controls under RTH, always just thought it would not work out well, better to shut the RTH off and finish manual.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
The M2 stick behavior at 10% and under, while Autolanding, seems to ignore all custom softened settings for yaw and expo. It's more like Sports Mode! It ruins any smooth landing video! Just be very gentle with the sticks.

To silence or dampen the beeping from 15% and below, which is NOT cancelable, you need to drill a small hole through the bottom of the RC case and insert a screw to put pressure on the silver plate underneath. Link below.
Silencing the buzzer inside the Controller
See posts #27 and #30. If I had to do it over again, I would use the screw.
To adjust the beep volume, use a 10 mm grub screw, and shorten it to 6mm, or find a small Phillips screw that fits. You precisely control the desired loudness with the screw depth, from silenced to barely audible (my preference). Happy safe drilling!
5377DCC4-7F19-45F7-8781-3F7642EA2D6F.png

CB5CBA02-C153-484B-904E-F2751D7DAD93.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had the same experience while auto landing, that is why I use the landing pad.

I have had the same experience while auto landing, that is why I use the landing pad.
Landing pad doesn't make controlling the landing any easier during undampened, wild stick controls. Handcatching gives you far more room for error, as the "landing pad" can be moved with your feet, as needed, to ensure a quick aerial recovery! Handcatching effectively enlarges your "landing pad" to a 20+ foot diameter.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54