DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Excellent & cheap hardcase found at HomeDepot

kriegtiger

Reactions
Hey folks! I'm a relatively new drone operator (Mavic 2 Zoom) and had been floundering on a decent case for my drone kit. I plan on eventually getting the fly-more-combo, which does include a case, but for now I was always uncomfortable carrying my gear loose in a backpack or satchel of some sort. But the other day when I was at the hardware store for other reasons, my girlfriend ran across this case and it does a fabulous job. Hard sided, foam lined with customizable blocks you can pull out and fit things just how you want. So now I've got my drone Muninn, the controller w/sticks attached, the charging kit + extra lightning cable for the iphone I use as a display, and the phone itself all nestled perfectly happy in foam. The case is currently on sale for $20, it's normally $25 and I couldn't be happier for having my drone and supporting gear all protected properly now when traveling around.

xuMAiHKqMv_XaOJz9OQVkVoTvtEHFURxUg40q5Ks2SKrj5G4UEAnZ7GkFgHHGdxh0Swp8ssA7qvfGlodmZTQQiHSmgCf4DBQMPhLWadXLrnfydgPZlq-g5aaIltkbh5f_e6DiIej1Qu_fJM6wTm0rYUsoZlTAum0oYsHUmL6ZK70cFmBeIWcFM8eBuUlFXrh6wPfuBJqguhylX_tnIB5jxe2HPJtklwAuV63bf_FrOJtZJTjc-3UfRXzAttkkmGI2mx0bMnGmh0yQrx7Zb3IkOp2sB-_csUohjN8-KLD2K8NphAAAoUkwd5hI1FW1ycZB57lyNhC943lpWi6bbEZsIrbIah4nWQ-maaAkW_LlqUNIFWPk7-Wb-SyVoQv4d4DcS-J7KI_xEhYWDZ5UMFeXKs_3SknOhwEBfgO78CHDlOUSznWr3XBioX3qwEggt1tcqOEnVS0oHxNCLhCIh5Rr7QK_dwkDIXVmduOC0SW0M4Lu_-6ETrhsj8aCFr1byfDsyDHE11qx1yduURfjuXL7GQZpWVWAdi7YFkI_v65SpujUxhnWGgSwDsRA40vO9bJrxy6BnyFDmdzIDOkS7kRCkX0PljyhfMd8odHnC301as-N6rSrPqXk9DrrD8aKaMCzShGwGJd0RQEl29OOV2NobHeM_M7vM6k5e9YtptuXlTlvTkUeCO0pCtfv4A1gw=w701-h934-no

Reactions: rcookie
Looks very similar to the Harbor Freight Apache 2800 (or it's bigger brother the 3800) which several folks here have used as drone cases. With the usual HF 20% off coupon, the Apache 2800 comes in at ~$22.40, so the HD one is definitely a good buy on sale.

Nice find.

Reactions: NAVMAV
Hey folks! I'm a relatively new drone operator (Mavic 2 Zoom) and had been floundering on a decent case for my drone kit. I plan on eventually getting the fly-more-combo, which does include a case, but for now I was always uncomfortable carrying my gear loose in a backpack or satchel of some sort. But the other day when I was at the hardware store for other reasons, my girlfriend ran across this case and it does a fabulous job. Hard sided, foam lined with customizable blocks you can pull out and fit things just how you want. So now I've got my drone Muninn, the controller w/sticks attached, the charging kit + extra lightning cable for the iphone I use as a display, and the phone itself all nestled perfectly happy in foam. The case is currently on sale for $20, it's normally $25 and I couldn't be happier for having my drone and supporting gear all protected properly now when traveling around.

xuMAiHKqMv_XaOJz9OQVkVoTvtEHFURxUg40q5Ks2SKrj5G4UEAnZ7GkFgHHGdxh0Swp8ssA7qvfGlodmZTQQiHSmgCf4DBQMPhLWadXLrnfydgPZlq-g5aaIltkbh5f_e6DiIej1Qu_fJM6wTm0rYUsoZlTAum0oYsHUmL6ZK70cFmBeIWcFM8eBuUlFXrh6wPfuBJqguhylX_tnIB5jxe2HPJtklwAuV63bf_FrOJtZJTjc-3UfRXzAttkkmGI2mx0bMnGmh0yQrx7Zb3IkOp2sB-_csUohjN8-KLD2K8NphAAAoUkwd5hI1FW1ycZB57lyNhC943lpWi6bbEZsIrbIah4nWQ-maaAkW_LlqUNIFWPk7-Wb-SyVoQv4d4DcS-J7KI_xEhYWDZ5UMFeXKs_3SknOhwEBfgO78CHDlOUSznWr3XBioX3qwEggt1tcqOEnVS0oHxNCLhCIh5Rr7QK_dwkDIXVmduOC0SW0M4Lu_-6ETrhsj8aCFr1byfDsyDHE11qx1yduURfjuXL7GQZpWVWAdi7YFkI_v65SpujUxhnWGgSwDsRA40vO9bJrxy6BnyFDmdzIDOkS7kRCkX0PljyhfMd8odHnC301as-N6rSrPqXk9DrrD8aKaMCzShGwGJd0RQEl29OOV2NobHeM_M7vM6k5e9YtptuXlTlvTkUeCO0pCtfv4A1gw=w701-h934-no
I snagged one the other day "just cause". The Pelican alternative would three times as much. Ended up putting my Z6 in it. Thinking about grabbing a couple more "just cause". Hard to beat the price.

That looks like a great deal, but I’m curious. It looks like there are hundreds of foam pieces. When you take several out it a row, how do the other pieces stay in place? Or are they all connected at the bottom and you literally need to tear the pieces out to the depth you want?

There are perforations that allow you to pick out the foam pieces that you need to, while the others remain in place. Many people are using a spray rubberized sealant like Flex-Seal after customizing to prevent deterioration of the foam and keep the remaining pieces firmly in place.

I so wish we had Home Depot and Harbor Freight here in the UK and Europe. Our DIY stores and bricos are pretty rubbish and stuff is usually low quality tat and high prices. ?

Stopped by HD today and so was able to look at the Husky and compare it to the HF Apache 2800 I purchased last week.

Very similar. Different latch style, but that's a minor detail. One point in the Apache's favor is that the pick-and-pull foam comes in two layers rather than the one thick layer for the Husky. This definitely makes it easier to do differing cutouts at the various depths, either to accommodate irregular shapes or to have compartments for storage of small parts underneath larger items.

Reactions: Kyle76
Thanks, just ordered one for pickup. If Eta doesn’t blow me off the road. Hope it fits my Mini and accessories as my original case is covered in velcro, holding stuff. Was heading to the pharmacy next to Home Depot anyway. Hurricane stash. Wife got groceries, I got beer and pot. ?

This is probably a very durable case and will protect the drone and accessories in transport extremely well. However, this case will count as your single piece of carry on luggage! Rather, I have incorporated a space in my regular camera equipment for the drone and RC and I pack the remainder of the drone equipment in another case which act as my carry on case. The camera bag counts as my personal luggage, ergo, I can bring two pieces on board for the overhead.

Last edited:
Not saying that it's not a good case but you pay $1500 plus for the drone so why get cheap for something that's going to protect it
Hey folks! I'm a relatively new drone operator (Mavic 2 Zoom) and had been floundering on a decent case for my drone kit. I plan on eventually getting the fly-more-combo, which does include a case, but for now I was always uncomfortable carrying my gear loose in a backpack or satchel of some sort. But the other day when I was at the hardware store for other reasons, my girlfriend ran across this caseand it does a fabulous job. Hard sided, foam lined with customizable blocks you can pull out and fit things just how you want. So now I've got my drone Muninn, the controller w/sticks attached, the charging kit + extra lightning cable for the iphone I use as a display, and the phone itself all nestled perfectly happy in foam. The case is currently on sale for $20, it's normally $25 and I couldn't be happier for having my drone and supporting gear all protected properly now when traveling around.

To flip that on its head, why pay $200 for something that doesn't protect any better than something that costs $20?

It's an expensive lesson either way, if a case proves insufficient protection. But to assume a case is better simply because it's more expensive is questionable logic.
Well I guess with that logic you threw out the saying "you get what you pay for"... and also is a drone better simply because it is more expensive.....lol

Well I guess with that logic you threw out the saying "you get what you pay for"
In some areas, that saying holds, but it's far from universal. And a plastic box filled with foam is, to some degree, a plastic box filled with foam.

Hi. The image isn't rendering for me. Can you post the SKU and name of the product?

I'm in the US and went with two cases from Monoprice (one for my M2Pro and the other for the controller). They're airtight polypropylene and fit well, with room for accessories, and they have the pluck foam liners. Not that expensive. Just another option for those looking.

I've used the Monoprice cases for camera gear with mixed results. The case plastic seems less durable but I didn't have any failures. The big difference is the foam. Pelican's foam holds up better and won't easily deform. The Monoprice foam started to compress after the first use, providing less padding and a loose fit for equipment. I haven't looked at the Home Depot or Harbor Freight cases, but if the foam doesn't seem firm it may not hold up. However, the plastidip treatment could improve the cheaper foam.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada