DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Exit Intelligent mode without phone

Azat

Reactions
Hi!

I have Android phone, so I have app crashes sometimes.
I was flying with Point Of Interest mode (one of intelligent modes) when suddenly app crashed and didn't launch again. So, I pressed pause button on the controller and mavic hovered in place. Without app I tried to fly MP back home, but couldn't do it, because the sticks are programmed now for Point Of Interest mode.

Is there a way to exit intelligent mode only using a controller?

My app finally started in about 3 minutes and I exited the mode using app.

But, if we fly above water and then app crashes (assuming after you already canceled return to home due to low battery) and never launches back or you have glitchy phone. The only way is then to press pause and wait for MP to land on water?

Hi!

I have Android phone, so I have app crashes sometimes.
I was flying with Point Of Interest mode (one of intelligent modes) when suddenly app crashed and didn't launch again. So, I pressed pause button on the controller and mavic hovered in place. Without app I tried to fly MP back home, but couldn't do it, because the sticks are programmed now for Point Of Interest mode.

Is there a way to exit intelligent mode only using a controller?

My app finally started in about 3 minutes and I exited the mode using app.

But, if we fly above water and then app crashes (assuming after you already canceled return to home due to low battery) and never launches back or you have glitchy phone. The only way is then to press pause and wait for MP to land on water?

Switch to sport mode.

Switch into sport mode.

I eventually got an iPad - having the app not crash is critical to safety, and to getting your Mavic back again reliably. Other things to try - turn off video cacheing, turn on airplane mode. Remove other apps that run in the background, and consider doing a factory reset of your phone to remove all apps except the ones you really need.

It's a real adrenaline rush when you lose the app and the Mavic is flying away over the ocean, haha.

Ow, sport mode, simple enough :)

Thanks!
Also thinking to buy some used Ipad

Other things to try - turn off video cacheing, turn on airplane mode. Remove other apps that run in the background, and consider doing a factory reset of your phone to remove all apps except the ones you really need.

That stuff had little to no benefit for me using LG K4 - K121 (Qualcomm MSM8909 Snapdragon 210, Quad-core 1.1 GHz Cortex-A7, Adreno 304),including turning video caching off. The app is possibly the worst I've ever seen at managing its own performance vs available hardware. It simply bogs itself into hysteresis. If it were programmed honestly, it would simply scale down its functions to accommodate hardware, but instead it appears to be written to promote aftersales of other devices, like the goggles.

Compounding the problem, is that DJI won't offer 'recommended hardware' as far as CPU/GPU/RAM AFAIK, but instead sticks to a grossly inadequate and rigid list of specific devices.

Last edited:
Apple owns about 1/3 of DJI, so it seems to me that there is not much hope that Android will become more stable in the near future. It's a dog, and one of the worst rated apps from a major brand name in the store. There is nothing sinister or incompetent in this. It's how it rolls: the good software people, and that includes the good QA people, are going to gravitate toward the Apple hardware. Wouldn't you, if you worked there?

And from a management standpoint, Apple owns 1/3 of the place, and individual Apple customers spend about double the money into the tech market that Android users do - again, which group would you favor, if you were a manager there?

Android is only supported because DJI started off on the android platform, probably due to the open source nature and low entry cost. DJI drones still run android, at least for the time being.

Meantime, we need to fly our birds, by hook or crook. For me, that meant gritting my teeth and getting an iPad. It's hard enough to fly a high ticket quadcopter reliably, without risking your investment by having the app screen freeze up on you. That said, there are some android phones and tablets that are crash free - you just need to look for them.

Last edited:
Apple owns about 1/3 of DJI, so it seems to me that there is not much hope that Android will become more stable in the near future. It's a dog, and one of the worst rated apps from a major brand name in the store. There is nothing sinister or incompetent in this. It's how it rolls: the good software people, and that includes the good QA people, are going to gravitate toward the Apple hardware. Wouldn't you, if you worked there?

And from a management standpoint, Apple owns 1/3 of the place, and individual Apple customers spend about double the money into the tech market that Android users do - again, which group would you favor, if you were a manager there?

I wasn't aware Apple own a third of DJI? I've seen speculation about a purchase and an agreement to sell DJI products but nothing more than that.

I wasn't aware Apple own a third of DJI? I've seen speculation about a purchase and an agreement to sell DJI products but nothing more than that.

You know, my apologies, I could be wrong about Apple owning part of DJI. I heard it from someone that I believed, and did not think to question it. I looked for confirmation on line, and did not find anything more than speculation, as you said. I thought I saw Apple's influence both in the software and the un-boxing experience of the Mavic, but again that's just speculation on my part.

Also, the Phantom 4 built-in screen is an android device, and the fact that DJI did not simply cut android off completely is also evidence of independence from Apple.

So, take it with a grain of salt. In any case, the companies are working together, which kind of spells doom for competing companies like GoPro. I think it's still safe to say that a smart and talented software person at DJI will gravitate toward working on the IOS software, and not the Android software.

Compounding the problem, is that DJI won't offer 'recommended hardware' as far as CPU/GPU/RAM AFAIK, but instead sticks to a grossly inadequate and rigid list of specific devices.

The problem is the app is hugely inconsistent, it certainly doesn't work reliably on all devices on their list and if anything seems a bit more reliable on older devices running Android v5 or v6. They need to completely rethink their approach to Android as their current level of support is really poor and while I've seen people frequently defend it as a result of Android fragmentation, plenty other companies including those making Dji Go alternatives are able to produce stable apps without all the issues the DJI software has.

John

Reactions: Pathogen and geigy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mlaut