DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Experiences and recommendations for improving monitor quality

GerryB

Reactions
I recently purchased a Mavic 2 Pro, first drone and first drone experience. I have a Samsung S5 and a Samsung S7 that are pretty much dedicated for viewing. Frankly, neither are of value, even in semi-shade outdoors on a bright day....the best flying times. I am unable to view on the Samsung screen what is being recorded or to guide the drone using the on screen picture. Some have given quality references to the new Mavic controller but I'm not ready yet to spend that much. I've turned the phone up to max brightness but that doesn't seem to help. Assuming others have similar issues, what are recommendations? Best and best functioning hoods with or without ability to use touch screen on phone? All advice is appreciated.

Reactions: Hauptmann
What does the video look like when you get home and watch it on a computer? Is it normal or washed out?

I recently purchased a Mavic 2 Pro, first drone and first drone experience. I have a Samsung S5 and a Samsung S7 that are pretty much dedicated for viewing. Frankly, neither are of value, even in semi-shade outdoors on a bright day....the best flying times. I am unable to view on the Samsung screen what is being recorded or to guide the drone using the on screen picture. Some have given quality references to the new Mavic controller but I'm not ready yet to spend that much. I've turned the phone up to max brightness but that doesn't seem to help. Assuming others have similar issues, what are recommendations? Best and best functioning hoods with or without ability to use touch screen on phone? All advice is appreciated.

Hi, GerryB, welcome to the forum!
My dedicated monitor is an iPad 4 Mini, which I believe is even less bright than your Samsung. I use the Pgytech sunshade, which helps quite a bit. I recommend a non-reflective screen protector which will reduce reflections from the side. I try to stand in the shade while flying (like with a tree trunk between me and the sun). For touchscreen, I use one of those new ballpoint pens with a soft bushing around the tip, which provides more reach.

Most of us find early morning and late afternoon is the best time to fly. Color is MUCH better, and your screen will seem considerably brighter. If you post your location, you'll probably find other drone pilots you can fly with, and from whom you'll pick up more tips to help improve your flying experience.

Hope to see some of your work!
Hauptmann

What does the video look like when you get home and watch it on a computer? Is it normal or washed out?
Initially some of the camera settings were resulting in a too bright recording. Following advice on this forum, great help I might add, and resetting the camera, the videos and still are really great. Mostly we like to play them on our 4K Samsung 55" for a near live experience. The problem is that what we see is largely accidental because unless, as recommended to shoot early or late, I simply am unable to watch the monitor and guide the drone/camera accordingly.

Hi, GerryB, welcome to the forum!
My dedicated monitor is an iPad 4 Mini, which I believe is even less bright than your Samsung. I use the Pgytech sunshade, which helps quite a bit. I recommend a non-reflective screen protector which will reduce reflections from the side. I try to stand in the shade while flying (like with a tree trunk between me and the sun). For touchscreen, I use one of those new ballpoint pens with a soft bushing around the tip, which provides more reach.

Most of us find early morning and late afternoon is the best time to fly. Color is MUCH better, and your screen will seem considerably brighter. If you post your location, you'll probably find other drone pilots you can fly with, and from whom you'll pick up more tips to help improve your flying experience.

Hope to see some of your work!
Hauptmann
No videos or stills that would mean much to others yet, hopefully we can produce some later. Will start reviewing editing software and always welcome suggestions on that too as I'll be wanting to do basic editing and work into it more deeply. Regarding the hoods, that may be an affordable compromise and also a sunshade. Will see where to purchase a Pgytech that you've recommended. Again, the manuals may answer this question, but is there a method of streaming directly through wifi to a monitor or PC?

This is something I think every pilot experiences as an ongoing issue. I actively plan my missions around having a place in the shade to see the screen otherwise I can’t see it at all. Even the smart controller or crystal sky still aren’t perfect. The sun shades help but to be really focused on the live view I find you have to have some shade.

The other solutions are some kind of FPV goggles that can allow you to be in your own little world flying. If you haven’t done that yet btw you it’s a trip and I would consider it a while separate activity to what you are doing now. DJI makes the goggles of course but Epson also makes glasses that overlay the live view in the lens itself but still allow you to see through them so you can still see and interact with the people around you.

With the DJI goggles it’s kinda like Bran worging into a raven(GOT anyone?) where you are full immersed and onboard the drone itself.

No videos or stills that would mean much to others yet, hopefully we can produce some later. Will start reviewing editing software and always welcome suggestions on that too as I'll be wanting to do basic editing and work into it more deeply. Regarding the hoods, that may be an affordable compromise and also a sunshade. Will see where to purchase a Pgytech that you've recommended. Again, the manuals may answer this question, but is there a method of streaming directly through wifi to a monitor or PC?

None that are worth the trouble. Need the smart controller or crystalsky to do that with HDMI

This is something I think every pilot experiences as an ongoing issue. I actively plan my missions around having a place in the shade to see the screen otherwise I can’t see it at all. Even the smart controller or crystal sky still aren’t perfect. The sun shades help but to be really focused on the live view I find you have to have some shade.

The other solutions are some kind of FPV goggles that can allow you to be in your own little world flying. If you haven’t done that yet btw you it’s a trip and I would consider it a while separate activity to what you are doing now. DJI makes the goggles of course but Epson also makes glasses that overlay the live view in the lens itself but still allow you to see through them so you can still see and interact with the people around you.

With the DJI goggles it’s kinda like Bran worging into a raven(GOT anyone?) where you are full immersed and onboard the drone itself.
OK, I’ll bite. What is “Bran worging into a raven”? @brett8883

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbee