DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA 44809

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I am quite puzzled by the second line of the rules under 44809 that say, "(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration." I joined the Academy of Model Aeronautics in part for insurance and in part due to some sense that perhaps it would be meaningful in terms of this regulation but as with all things legal, it seems to be a strict interpretation of this might not require actually joining an organization but merely operating in accordance with their safety guidelines. Even that is odd in that it would seem an organization might develop guidelines "in coordination with the FAA" that somehow differs from the FAA in some manner. It seem to be a very, very obtuse and muddled regulation. Also, "locally" it takes very little driving on my part to be miles and mile (and miles) far away from any community organization. Think wilderness Alaska. In December it's a frozen muddle. Here I thought I'd just order a drone and...take off! Luckily I even enjoy the education I'm being required to receive. :) Your comments are appreciated.

Reactions: BigAl07
You are correct that you don't have to be a member of an organization to operate compliantly under its safety guidelines. So, in the US, anyone can fly recreationally under AMA guidelines, and you don't need to be at an AMA field to do so. The reason that they were developed in coordination with the FAA is that the FAA doesn't, itself, regulate flights under the recreational exemption. The arrangement to operate under recognized community organization guidelines was put into place by Congress, which simply required that the FAA endorse the guidelines.

I am quite puzzled by the second line of the rules under 44809 that say, "(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization's set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration."
More details are available here:

"We have not yet begun officially recognizing CBOs. Recreational flyers are directed to follow the safety guidelines of existing aeromodelling organizations or use the FAA provided safety guidelines per Advisory Circular 91-57B."

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147