DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

One Stop Shopping Help Needed (SysAdmin: don't kill me)

Captain Spock

Reactions
Fellow Pilots: Forgive me in advance for asking this, but I am having difficulty in finding a one stop shopping post that considers all of them. (read: "I am bewildered). There are a LOT of posts about recreational flying, Part 107, 49 U.S. Code § 44809, and Community Based Organizations (CBO). Some refer to 0.55 lb (249gm) and some to 55 (fifty-five) lb which made me wonder if there was a missing "." in these:
So here goes:

Assumptions:
1. I have a mini2 (weight 249gm) with skids (10 gm) = 259gm (> 250gm) and with prop cage, strobes, etc even more.
2. I am solely a recreational flying under 400' in uncontrolled airspace.
3. I have passed the The Recreational UAS Safety Test (TRUST)
4. I have a Small UAS Certificate of Registration
5. I am NOT a member of any Community Based Organizations (CBO) and there aren't any in my rather remote neighborhood
6. I fly at night sometimes (my understanding is that no additional certification is required)

Questions under those assumptions:
1. Do I need to take the 14 CFR Part 107, referred to as the Small UAS Rule test and certification?
2. Can I fly without a Community Based Organization? If not, will getting a 107 allow me to fly without CBO?
3. Can I fly over people? If not, will getting 107 allow me to fly over people?
I need some "one stop shopping" help please. (By the question numbers to keep replies brief)
Thanks in advance,
CS

Reactions: MARK (LI)
Fellow Pilots: Forgive me in advance for asking this, but I am having difficulty in finding a one stop shopping post that considers all of them. (read: "I am bewildered). There are a LOT of posts about recreational flying, Part 107, 49 U.S. Code § 44809, and Community Based Organizations (CBO). Some refer to 0.55 lb (249gm) and some to 55 (fifty-five) lb which made me wonder if there was a missing "." in these:
So here goes:

Assumptions:
1. I have a mini2 (weight 249gm) with skids (10 gm) = 259gm (> 250gm) and with prop cage, strobes, etc even more.
5. I am NOT a member of any Community Based Organizations (CBO) and there aren't any in my rather remote neighborhood
6. I fly at night sometimes (my understanding is that no additional certification is required)

1. Do I need to take the 14 CFR Part 107, referred to as the Small UAS Rule test and certification?
No. As long as you fly recreationally, you don't need the 107.
2. Can I fly without a Community Based Organization? If not, will getting a 107 allow me to fly without CBO?
You must fly under the safety guideline of a CBO. But the FAA is VERY clear that you do not have to belong to at CBO to fly under their safety guidelines. However, each of these CBOs went to a lot of trouble and expense to apply for an FAA approved CBO. So it would be nice to give a little bit of bank to them.
100% not, no CBO currently allows operations over people (OOP). The only way you can fly over people is under 107. And for that you need a waiver, or an OOP compliant drone. Category 1 drones must be under 250g, and have no "rotating parts that can lacerate human skin". Your Mini 2 does not fall under the 250g limit as equipped. For that you need prop cages and the Japanese batteries. We wrote and article about that in 2021: Category 1-OOP Compliant-DJI Mini 2 - Drone Service Providers Alliance
I need some "one stop shopping" help please. (By the question numbers to keep replies brief)
Thanks in advance,
CS
Hopefully this answers your questions.

I am NOT a member of any Community Based Organizations (CBO) and there aren't any in my rather remote neighborhood
@Vic Moss has covered much of what you ask but I thought perhaps this question suggests you may need further explanation on a CBO.

Community Based is referring to the 'community' of model airplane and drone pilots across the country, not something based in your physical community. Currently there are only 4 FAA-recognized CBO's, the oldest and probably the most used is the Academy of Model Aviation (AMA), they've been around for over 70 years.

All you need to do is go to their website and search for their safety guidelines. You do not have to join; as Vic pointed out, you just need to read and understand their guidelines.

One of the 44809 recreational requirements is that if asked by the FAA or law enforcement - you need to know which CBO's guidelines you are following, so pick one and check them out.

So here goes:

Assumptions:

Thanks in advance,
CS
I agree with all of the replies that were posted. I'd like to add 1 comment about the CBO. You must choose a Community Based Organization (doesn't have to be nearby) read and understand their guidelines ( as mentioned) AND... I would recommend you PRINT THOSE GUIDELINES and have them available when you fly so you will be able to say...."Here are the guidelines I'm flying by, under THIS CBO". That way you will have your rear end covered when it comes to this 'sketchy' topic. just sayin' mike allen

Reactions: Captain Spock
Around here on Long Island the AMA fields specifically exclude drones...So, I am not inclined to support them...I don't know if that policy prevails all over.
This isn't surprising as AMA is more about fixed wing drones, helicopter drones, control line models and not quadcopter camera drones. Joy flying a camera drone on one of their fields would likely be a safety issue for their own flyers.

@Vic Moss @Ty Pilot @michaeldallen1 @MARK (LI) @FLDave : TY4 your comments. @Vic Moss 's comprehensive reply; @Ty Pilot for getting my head straight re CBO's and "location; and the rest expanding on CBO's. I found a CBO in closeby Albuquerque and based on your recommendations I have asked for their guidelines and whether they have a small drone flyers. My first take is that they fly much larger aircraft and helos as commented. They even have their own RC landing/TO strip. Research continues and would be broad and somewhat aimless without you fellow fliers helping me "fly straight." Thank you!

Reactions: Vic Moss
@Vic Moss @Ty Pilot @michaeldallen1 @MARK (LI) @FLDave : TY4 your comments. @Vic Moss 's comprehensive reply; @Ty Pilot for getting my head straight re CBO's and "location; and the rest expanding on CBO's. I found a CBO in closeby Albuquerque and based on your recommendations I have asked for their guidelines and whether they have a small drone flyers. My first take is that they fly much larger aircraft and helos as commented. They even have their own RC landing/TO strip. Research continues and would be broad and somewhat aimless without you fellow fliers helping me "fly straight." Thank you!
You can join the AMA (and have some liability insurance) and subscribe the their print magazine. You might even get interested in joining a club and learning real fixed wing flying skills. There's just no end to learning new skills. They fly by the same rules of Part 107 for UAS and quadcopters under 55 pounds weight.

Reactions: Ty Pilot

Sounds like you found a local RC club, most likely affiliated with the AMA. Thats a good place to start, but just keep in mind - to fly a drone recreationally, you do not need to join either the local club or the AMA. However if you wish to join the club they will likely have yearly dues as well as require you to be a member in order to use their facilities, which may be beneficial to you in many ways.

However in the meantime - HERE is a link to the 12 page AMA Safety Guideline PDF - which is all you need to be in compliance per FAA regulations to fly recreationally.

Reactions: Xitor
@Ty Pilot Thanks for the link. I've had email exchanges with the local RC club affiliated with AMA:
They fly large RC fixed wing aircraft as we anticipated. I really don't see a good fit here for my little mini 2 quadrocopter. I realize there would be a whole new world to explore with them, but I have enough exploring on my plate right now with my mini2, DJI, Litchi, night-flying, view options (iPad, Drone Mask, etc), and admin stuff. I'll look around again. Meantime TY4 sending me the AMA Safety link. That will do nicely.-

Well . . . . I found out that the ARCC local RC club is an AMA Chartered organization. The club has been in existence since 1955; the club president has been flying for 25 years. They have their own FRIA for RC flying.
However . . .
"The most truthful statement I've ever made was when drones first hit the market in mass. I thought then that they (FPV drones) would really screw up the traditional RC modelers freedom to fly. No truer words have I ever spoke. At first the FAA wanted transponders in every model or drone. Thanks to the AMA and some members of Congress that have some common sense the regs were toned down a bunch. The FRIA program is proof of that. We can operate our models in a FRIA the same way we have flown them for well over half a century. Outside a FRIA is a whole different can of worms."

and

"There is a group of flyers that hang out at Maloof Air Park that fly hobby drones. They operate from the shade structure on the South side of the parking lot. Some are members of the club, some not. They are into sport flying drones, not photography. The large multirotor I have is designed for carrying a camera. I've not done anything with it yet. I've flown the little multirotors, built a race quad copter and did some FPV flying. Turns out it's not my cup of tea. If I get around to it the photography bit would suit me better.

This was a disappointment. I just cannot see how the ARCC is a good fit for me. RC oriented and while I might be interested in that hobby someday, I have more than enough to experiment with in my little mini2. They do not appear supportive of FPV drones; don't appear willing to change; only fly in their FRIA; not interested in photography. I live in the sticks; no FAA control out here. If I ever want to fly in/near the city I'll be careful to determine FAA air space restrictions, etc.

One last call for comments..... sigh).....

One last call for comments..... sigh).....

Fixed wing RC and drones are not a good mix for a lot of reasons that; if you have never flown fixed-wing RC, may not be apparent to a drone pilot.

As I mentioned, you do NOT need to be a member of a club or the AMA. Just click on that link I posted (post #9 above), download the 12 page PDF, read it and make sure you understand it, and most importantly, if ever asked by LEO or FAA official (which is unlikely), as to which CBO's guidelines you are following, say: AMA. It's really that simple.

Yup. Got it. I know I don't have to join a club or AMA, but in my searches I found a club that is pretty interesting. New post coming..

ok ok. you got me again. I found the FPV Freedom Coalition, an FAA endorsed CBO. Parused their site and it is very well organized and active in drone requirements, etc. Then I did my due diligence and searched the forum and ... low and behold! Already discussed. Ah well . . . FPV Freedom Coalition
At least I escaped forum administrators . . . :)

Around here on Long Island the AMA fields specifically exclude drones...So, I am not inclined to support them...I don't know if that policy prevails all over.

It is not the AMA's policy that clubs disdain drones, it's more of a reflection of how vastly different fixed-wing RC and drones are operated.

There are operational procedures in place at these fields and and a procedure to everything, especially in the air. RC aircraft must continue to move, they must fly in the correct pattern there are times when certain aircraft have priority to land or take-off. And most importantly the pilots of RC aircraft are not starring down at their screen. All of this is the exact opposite of a drone.

To put RC pilots and drone pilots in the same airspace would be akin to putting lions and rabbits in the same paddock of a zoo.

So here goes:

Assumptions:

Thanks in advance,
CS
This is a good post. I found this community a while ago and generally only check the weekly digest for posts of interest. Without reading here I wouldn’t have known about any of the rules and regs. I bought my original mavic pro from a guy second hand. No books box or whatever came with it new. I’ve often wondered how a person buying a drone for the first time would know about all the regs people should know about. Does info come in the box telling them what they can and can’t do with their drone if they want to just fly recreationally, want to take video and make money, where they can fly, etc?? For example here’s another post about a very specific thing-how does a new flyer even know about this restriction? "Flying over people" Drone Classifications

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman