DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RID Intricacies Come September

dart106

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have a Mini 2 which is FAA registered, hold a 107 card, a TRUST Certificate, and have CBO guidance (copies of all with me when flying). When I fly, the M2 has 3 light weight strobes attached (to aid maintaining VLOS) so, it exceeds the 249g limit. For the time being, I fly only recreationally. With all this in mind, I have confusion about being RID compliant come September. I’ve read the FAA regs but, am still unsure what my status will be.

Depending on what will be required, i.e. a strap on RID module, or drone upgrade, I’m interested in fact based guidance as to what situation I’ll be in. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I’ve read the FAA regs but, am still unsure what my status will be
You'll need to broadcast Remote ID data from takeoff to shutdown if you're doing any of the following:
  • Flying a drone that exceeds 0.55 lbs (249.47 grams)
  • Flying under rules that require a drone to be registered (like Part 107)
  • Flying outside of an FAA-recognized identification area (FRIA) sponsored by community-based organizations or educational institutions (and flying a drone that exceeds 0.55 lbs)
So, if you remove your lights (and anything else causing the takeoff weight to exceed 0.55 lbs) and fly under recreational rules, you will not need to broadcast Remote ID data.

I’m interested in fact based guidance
Since the FAA does not officially provide guidance in this forum, you should refer to their official website here for all of the facts.

Last edited:
You'll need to broadcast Remote ID data from takeoff to shutdown if you're doing any of the following:
  • Flying outside of an FAA-recognized identification area (FRIA) sponsored by community-based organizations or educational institutions
So, if you remove your lights (and anything else causing the takeoff weight to exceed 0.55 lbs) and fly under recreational rules, you will not need to broadcast Remote ID data.

Since the FAA does not officially provide guidance in this forum, you should refer to their official website here for all of the facts.
Thanks for the explanation. There was no expection on my part to receive FAA guidance on this forum. Thanks again for your help.

…When I fly, the M2 has 3 light weight strobes attached (to aid maintaining VLOS) so, it exceeds the 249g limit…
Have you accurately weighed it with the strobes? Would you consider removing a strobe (or two) to keep it below the limit?

I certainly want to follow the regs, but my Mini 2 strobes are super lightweight, and I’ll probably only go with white on the stern if it avoids having to slap on a RID Broadcast Module!

Have you accurately weighed it with the strobes? Would you consider removing a strobe (or two) to keep it below the limit?

I certainly want to follow the regs, but my Mini 2 strobes are super lightweight, and I’ll probably only go with white on the stern if it avoids having to slap on a RID Broadcast Module!
My strobes advertise and weight check at 6 g. So, just one is over the limit. What do your strobes weigh?

I also have landing gear on mine to keep it out of the dust and dirt.

• Flying outside of an FAA-recognized identification area (FRIA) sponsored by community-based organizations or educational institutions

Point of clarification...

If you have a <250g drone flying strictly for recreation, you do not need to fly inside a FRIA. You can fly anywhere allowable by FAA regs w/o RID.

Thanks! Which one of my points needed clarification?
The one about flying outside a FRIA.

If your drone is <250g and flown strictly for recreational use, you don't need RID.

Reactions: Vic Moss
My strobes advertise and weight check at 6 g. So, just one is over the limit. What do your strobes weigh?

I also have landing gear on mine to keep it out of the dust and dirt.
Sorry - that took a few days to have my scale and Mini 2 with accessories all in the same place.

No landing gear - I use a landing pad to keep it off the dust/dirt. I have a small one that goes in my bag, a Mini 2 doesn't need much.

My Mini 2 actually weighs 241g with standard battery, an ND filter, and a couple velcro patches for strobes. Weighing is important; lots of people have assumed that the 249g label means it weighs that. Nope, it means it's in the under 250g class.

My strobes weigh 3.3g each, they are apparently now discontinued Firehouse Dual (aka Dual CREE). I'd like to get a precise measurement on the Vifly strobes (link).

Most of all I've used a single white strobe on the stern, velcro to the battery door. That has it below 245g. This is just to aid with visibility to me, the pilot. If I can't easily reacquire VLOS after looking down at the controller I just spin the drone and the strobe really helps. I have a second velcro patch on top for night flying visibility to others.

So I have a way to keep a strobe and stay under 250g. I won't be able to use my Red/Green arm strobes on the Mini 2 after Sept. 16 unless unexpected firmware shows up or I buy a RID Broadcast Module. I also use the same strobes on other drones that *are* native RID, so it's not so bad to keep my travel/hiking/camping drone under 250g. YMMV.

Reactions: dart106
I'd like to get a precise measurement on the Vifly strobes (link).
My Vifly strobes all weigh ~6g with a small piece of 3M dual lock attached, I bought the 3-pack... my digital kitchen scales don't do 10ths. Mine are the OG version with micro USB ports, think they are USB-C now?

Reactions: SethB
Sorry - that took a few days to have my scale and Mini 2 with accessories all in the same place.

No landing gear - I use a landing pad to keep it off the dust/dirt. I have a small one that goes in my bag, a Mini 2 doesn't need much.

My Mini 2 actually weighs 241g with standard battery, an ND filter, and a couple velcro patches for strobes. Weighing is important; lots of people have assumed that the 249g label means it weighs that. Nope, it means it's in the under 250g class.

My strobes weigh 3.3g each, they are apparently now discontinued Firehouse Dual (aka Dual CREE). I'd like to get a precise measurement on the Vifly strobes (link).

Most of all I've used a single white strobe on the stern, velcro to the battery door. That has it below 245g. This is just to aid with visibility to me, the pilot. If I can't easily reacquire VLOS after looking down at the controller I just spin the drone and the strobe really helps. I have a second velcro patch on top for night flying visibility to others.

So I have a way to keep a strobe and stay under 250g. I won't be able to use my Red/Green arm strobes on the Mini 2 after Sept. 16 unless unexpected firmware shows up or I buy a RID Broadcast Module. I also use the same strobes on other drones that *are* native RID, so it's not so bad to keep my travel/hiking/camping drone under 250g. YMMV.
I was one of those assuming the 249g weight. Thanks for the revelation and ideas!

Reactions: SethB
How are you guys making sure these strobes are visible from 3 statute miles? You are using scales to weigh everything to comply with <250g, what about the strobes? Or, are you just giving that regulation a "pass" or the benefit of the doubt?

How are you guys making sure these strobes are visible from 3 statute miles? You are using scales to weigh everything to comply with <250g, what about the strobes? Or, are you just giving that regulation a "pass" or the benefit of the doubt?
Is that what you advise?

For myself, I am depending on the manufacturers' public written statements of testing and compliance.

What do you do @mavic3usa? Or, what would you do?

How are you guys making sure these strobes are visible from 3 statute miles?
Manufacturer specs

You are using scales to weigh everything to comply with <250g, what about the strobes?
Total takeoff weight, including strobes, has to be less than .55 lbs/249.48g to meet regs

Is that what you advise?

For myself, I am depending on the manufacturers' public written statements of testing and compliance.

What do you do @mavic3usa? Or, what would you do?
Just wondering how you verify the manufacturer's claims as you do with the weight by using a scale.

Reactions: Torque
Just wondering how you verify the manufacturer's claims as you do with the weight by using a scale.
I feel that you are challenging the idea that others have performed their due diligence for the sake of the challenge. How would you suggest one verifies the visibility of a strobe at 3sm? I'd be really interested to know!

I don't have a 3-mile dark test bed, nor do I have the optical science background to determine how a particular LED array performs against the FAA spec. That leaves me (and other pilots?) with validation by the strobe manufacturer.

I can tell you that these little postage-stamp size strobes are ridiculously bright. Painfully bright. Literally painful to look at.

The weight of drones and strobes can be inexpensively validated at home. And, it turns out to be important because as noted here and elsewhere a Mini 2's weight varies from 239 to 242g with battery, and all DJI tells us is "<249g" (link).

I feel that you are challenging the idea that others have performed their due diligence for the sake of the challenge. How would you suggest one verifies the visibility of a strobe at 3sm? I'd be really interested to know!

I don't have a 3-mile dark test bed, nor do I have the optical science background to determine how a particular LED array performs against the FAA spec. That leaves me (and other pilots?) with validation by the strobe manufacturer.

I can tell you that these little postage-stamp size strobes are ridiculously bright. Painfully bright. Literally painful to look at.

The weight of drones and strobes can be inexpensively validated at home. And, it turns out to be important because as noted here and elsewhere a Mini 2's weight varies from 239 to 242g with battery, and all DJI tells us is "<249g" (link).
Not challenging. Any other documentation or certification from the strobe manufacturer besides their errant claims on their website?

What do I do? I've registered all 3 iterations of the Mini with the FAA. I don't have to worry about my strobes, landing gear, extended battery, etc. Fly without worries.
That's what I do as well. Since I have other drones that are >250g and I'm registered, if I want to add anything to my Mini drone, why not just also add a registration sticker to the drone as well? How hard can that be.

Reactions: dart106 and Torque

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnny760