DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA "NO DRONES" Sign

tom29928

Reactions
I visited St Simons Island, GA yesterday and noticed the attached signs on the town dock. One picture shows the capsized ship "Golden Ray" in the channel off the dock. This car transport ship (holds 7000 cars) capsized last year and is now being sawn in pieces and removed.

Attachments

• No Drone FAA.jpg
    No Drone FAA.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 378
  • St Simons GA.jpg
    St Simons GA.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 386
I visited St Simons Island, GA yesterday and noticed the attached signs on the town dock. One picture shows the capsized ship "Golden Ray" in the channel off the dock. This car transport ship (holds 7000 cars) capsized last year and is now being sawn in pieces and removed.

Regardless of the sign, most of St Simons Island is in controlled airspace due to the proximity of the local airport and the facility map has a maximum permissible altitude of 0 AGL. This means recreational pilots cannot get authorization to fly there and Part 107 pilots need to seek "further coordination" in advance if they want the possibility of getting permission to fly.

Screenshot_20201115-210123_AirMap.jpg

As mentioned by @dawgpilot, that entire area is in a 0'GL grid for KSSI. Odds are someone in authority put that sign there because people aren't educated enough to understand that they can't fly their drones there w/o permission. And the Golden Ray is too tempting of a drone subject for people who don't know otherwise.

It is an official FAA sign. They have those on their website to download. Some people use them correctly (as in this case), and some people and municipalities use them incorrectly and just assume if they put that up, it's an NFZ.

Is it possible to fly your new mavic mini 2 in that space ? It is a toy. I don't know if that would matter or not but would be something to be aware of.

Reactions: rcookie
Is it possible to fly your new mavic mini 2 in that space ? It is a toy. I don't know if that would matter or not but would be something to be aware of.

No. All drones, no matter their weight, must comply with all FAA rules and laws.

The only rule the Mini (& all sub-250g drones) is exempt from is the registration for recreational flyers. That is the only exception.

Get an Ultralight or powered parachute - according to the FAA, they aren't aircraft! By the way, took my commercial pilot check ride at that airport.

Launch from outside.

The issue here is FAA controlled airspace, not a local land use restriction. "Launching from outside" doesn't solve that issue as the flight would still be prohibited without an airspace authorization.

Get an Ultralight or powered parachute - according to the FAA, they aren't aircraft! By the way, took my commercial pilot check ride at that airport.

Flight would still be prohibited there without authorization:

§ 103.17 Operations in certain airspace.

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from the ATC facility having jurisdiction over that airspace.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Well if you took your commercial check ride, I'm a bit surprised you don't know that Ultralights (and a PPC is also an ultralight, if it makes the weight category and single seat and no more than 5 gallons of fuel specs etc., otherwise it is an illegal aircraft or if registered/N-numbered, then an LSA) must still comply with all FAA rules governing the sky. You should know that, or you need a bit of further training.

An ultralight is still not allowed to fly in airspace that a GA aircraft is not allowed to, just in case you thought wrongly, that an ultralight can fly anywhere the pilot wants to. An ultralight does not require N-numbers and the pilot does not require an FAA license or an Annual etc. but the pilot must still obey all FAA rules and regs that apply to the airspace it is flying in.

It would have been nice if the sign indicated why/under what FAA rules it was an NFZ. Otherwise one might think it's only a takeoff/land/operate rule not governed by the FAA where a flyover would not be restricted.

Reactions: KarMann
Apart from READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and getting FAA registration I would suggest that if you are thinking that any Mavic is a toy then you are sadly misguided.
Even the smallest mini is capable of very good and stable video. So calling them toys is very frustrating to people who take drone flight seriously
Are drones “fun” yes, are they relatively ”easy” to use yes, are they cheap throw away items “no”
Buy one for your kids this Christmas so they can make life miserable for the 99% of us who obey the FAA restrictions and get bad press because of their total lack of understanding and consideration.

It would have been nice if the sign indicated why/under what FAA rules it was an NFZ. Otherwise one might think it's only a takeoff/land/operate rule not governed by the FAA where a flyover would not be restricted.
The DJI software will not allow you to fly in this area unless you have a FAA clearance and a 107 cert

Reactions: Pautna and Mike6158
Apart from READ THE INSTRUCTIONS and getting FAA registration I would suggest that if you are thinking that any Mavic is a toy then you are sadly misguided.
Even the smallest mini is capable of very good and stable video. So calling them toys is very frustrating to people who take drone flight seriously
Are drones “fun” yes, are they relatively ”easy” to use yes, are they cheap throw away items “no”
Buy one for your kids this Christmas so they can make life miserable for the 99% of us who obey the FAA restrictions and get bad press because of their total lack of understanding and consideration.
WOW... Pardon me for asking a question, I thought this was a friendly open forum for Mavic Pilots to post their footage and discuss all topics and get guidance

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851